IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Temperature sensor.

mdsonofthesouth

Hey yall I am looking to upgrade my temperature and humidity sensors/system. I dont need high end or anything, just something that can accurately measure temperature and humidity and can store min max values. I dont need color screens or fancy features, just accuracy and reliability. Any recommendations? Thanks!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Hello,

I am currently using a data logger from Hobo (just for temperature though). I compared its readings with some other thermometers and it seems very accurate. In my setting,  it records the temperature every 30 Minutes, except when the temperature falls below 0.5 °C (32.9°F) or rises above 36°C (96.8 °F), then it records every 5 minutes till the temperature goes back to normal.  Like this, I can accurately know if there were detrimental temperatures for the palms. You can intuitively  zoom in and have a very detailed graph, which you also can export to excel or something like that. (Btw mine works over Bluetooth and is incredibly small)image.thumb.png.14f502afa5a47c40fe924574cbd07d95.png 

I don't know how expensive they are in the US (but it should be cheaper than in Germany). But I guess they are rather expensive for just min and max values. 

Anyway, this would be an example

• Like 1

A hair out of my price range for this currently but still pretty cool feature!

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Ambient weather Ws-3000-x5 is my new toy.  The bad news is the sensors are not 100% waterproof. They need to be under overhang or in a palm hut or sometimes I secure them under a ziplock bagIMG_1216.thumb.JPG.0222e99aeb44c670a10f34be05e3cac5.JPGg.  Has charting max/min and alarm. 

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Ambient weather Ws-3000-x5 is my new toy.  The bad news is the sensors are not 100% waterproof. They need to be under overhang or in a palm hut or sometimes I secure them under a ziplock bagIMG_1216.thumb.JPG.0222e99aeb44c670a10f34be05e3cac5.JPGg.  Has charting max/min and alarm. 

That is about perfect!  One for each corner of the house (rectangular rancher) and one for the greenhouse in the shop. Added to wish list!