IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New digs going up

Umbrae

Definitely. I read elsewhere you consider yourself a hobby grower? Looks like a full blown nursery to me. Best of luck to you.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Front walkway, i originally wanted a deck walkway, but $ was too much and i already had extra limestone and timbers

20190117_095242.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, are the arches galvanized or plastic? Also did you buy the arches pre-bent, or are you bending them yourself?

I want to build a greenhouse this summer and have been looking at the tube benders that allow you to use top rail fence poles for the arches. I also visited a nursery recently where they were using 3" PVC as the arches. But i cant image it lasting too long. 

These are galvanized pipe, we use spring latch to attach shade and plastic, these houses i bought off a local produce  shed,  they had been used for growing tomato transplants but sat idle when that program was discontinued. I bought the whole stack of bows for one lump sum and  managed to build 3 shade houses 28x100 and this 28x60 

• 3 weeks later...

Can I put one of these in my backyard with HOA rules?   lol.  NICE!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of sabal minors sitting under new shade, these will ship out to a job site in the morning with all the other stuff

20190214_081059.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That looks like Tad's place (are you Tad?). Always enjoyed his "The Farm" megathreads years back, where'd he go? :) 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

3 hours ago, Xenon said:

That looks like Tad's place (are you Tad?). Always enjoyed his "The Farm" megathreads years back, where'd he go? :) 

quien sabe 

• Upvote 1

looking forward to getting these babies up and filled , have a week delay on construction though due to work off location 

IMG_20200704_180638642.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

purlins are bolted on, got the treated 2x4s today for the sides where I will tack the shade down , 

IMG_20200714_150148335_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

second house , foot pieces in, bows going up today maybe some purlins too, it gets awful hot though ...

IMG_20200717_075727905.jpg

• Like 2

purlins and bows up, 2x4s tomorrow, shade is supposed to be in today but haven't seen truck yet

IMG_20200717_171336061_HDR.jpg

4 hours ago, jimmyt said:

That is huge!  Going to be Epic for sure! :bemused:

thanks , I got a great contract last winter and this is the big pay off , 3 new shade houses ... lol heckuva bonus!!

progress has been slow, my day job is killing me , but it pays for my addictions and sends me to so many exciting locations. shade cloth showed up, but then one of my guys dumped a CTL into the river ... 

IMG_20200723_080854459.jpg

IMG_20200721_134404261_HDR.jpg

got the irrigation done , shade goes up this weekend , then we run the sprinklers for a week and compact the floor before the landscape fabric go up

IMG_20200723_163331306.jpg