IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New digs going up

Umbrae

getting the floor in , keep running out of time , we have been busy on other projects 

IMG_20200812_114342632.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

digging up some sabal Uresana, not my favorite time of year to move these but , we are clearing off am area for new project and they have are in the way 

IMG_20211118_084254513.jpg

IMG_20211118_084315351.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jimmyt said:

@Umbrae   You have some serious operations going on over there!   Big Time…..

I'm nobody, a day trader at best .

53 minutes ago, Umbrae said:

I'm nobody, a day trader at best .

Uh Huh! :D

By the way, the palms look good!By the way, the palms look good!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jimmyt said:

Uh Huh! :D

By the way, the palms look good!By the way, the palms look good!

thanks they will look better when they get rooted in I just couldn't wrangle the root ball to get them perfect 

trenching new waterline , this will run irrigation to the mulch and compost piles , as well as a expansion of drip irrigation 

IMG_20211123_114657441.jpg

IMG_20211123_114729201.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

got my first three rows planted , way behind schedule ,  40 three gallon meds , 40 Natchez crapes and 40 mule palms on drip this morning

IMG_20211204_125927575.jpg

IMG_20211204_125914074.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

another section of ground being converted , this section should be 5 rows of 50 trees each row.

this patch if ground has been used to store mulch for the last 6 or so years , should grow a hell of a crop of trees. 

IMG_20211217_140810363.jpg

• Like 2

relocating a large everglade palm clump , paurotis palms are great till they are in the wrong spot 

IMG_20211222_102023163.jpg

IMG_20211222_103851018.jpg

IMG_20211222_104123894.jpg

IMG_20211222_104210101.jpg

Edited by Umbrae
  • Like 5

On 8/11/2020 at 1:47 PM, Umbrae said:

new load of grafted adeniums 

IMG_20200811_134202465_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200811_134214951_HDR.jpg

Are any of those Adeniums by chance the ones that are a little more suited to cold tolerance? I know they have developed some in Tucson that can take a little more cold than all the ones that come from Thailand where they are only selected for flower color and don't care a whit about cold performance.  A local garden center here in Corpus has quite a few Adeniums but looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked about suitable varieties for this area.

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I have never heard of "cold tolerant desert rose" 

I know some of my outdoor ones got froze but came right back 

3 hours ago, Umbrae said:

relocating a large everglade palm clump , paurotis palms are great till they are in the wrong spot ...

Great old specimen. I hope it's going to a new spot free of future expansion possibilities. I applaud the time and effort in moving the palm, instead of destroying it.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

1 hour ago, Umbrae said:

Well cold hardy is a relative term but I know for sure some are tougher than others

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

6 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Are any of those Adeniums by chance the ones that are a little more suited to cold tolerance? I know they have developed some in Tucson that can take a little more cold than all the ones that come from Thailand where they are only selected for flower color and don't care a whit about cold performance.  A local garden center here in Corpus has quite a few Adeniums but looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked about suitable varieties for this area.

2 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Well cold hardy is a relative term but I know for sure some are tougher than others

3 hours ago, Umbrae said:

The ones Xerarch is referring to would be those crossed by the great Mark Dimmitt.. And yes, they are supposed to tolerate a smidge more cold.. ( spectacular plants too ) Can't say for sure ( need to speak w/ him about it ) but he might have incorporated Adenium swazicum blood into his hybrids. That species is supposed to be the only one ..or one of just a couple.. that can handle sightly colder temps than say A. arabicum and / or obesum.

That said, that's only when they are completely dry thru the winter.. ( same w/ most Pachypodiums.. Soaked / cold plants is likely a perfect recipe for disaster for them too.  

Now that they're dropping leaves, both Adenium i have will be coming inside until this wet cool pattern setting up passes.

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

The ones Xerarch is referring to would be those crossed by the great Mark Dimmitt.. And yes, they are supposed to tolerate a smidge more cold.. ( spectacular plants too ) Can't say for sure ( need to speak w/ him about it ) but he might have incorporated Adenium swazicum blood into his hybrids. That species is supposed to be the only one ..or one of just a couple.. that can handle sightly colder temps than say A. arabicum and / or obesum.

That said, that's only when they are completely dry thru the winter.. ( same w/ most Pachypodiums.. Soaked / cold plants is likely a perfect recipe for disaster for them too.  

Now that they're dropping leaves, both Adenium i have will be coming inside until this wet cool pattern setting up passes.

Those are exactly the ones I’m referring to, based on my Adenium book, written in part by Mark Dimmitt 

about to install some bamboo , I took out an old fence line and I am planting some giant timber bamboo , to screen off the neighbors , and a subdivision across the road 

IMG_20211228_161251641.jpg

• Like 2

first 300 feet of bamboo is installed , giant timber , next 300 feet will be some angel mist dendrocalamus I have growing but those will be transplanted from field dug material not healed out 30 gallons 

IMG_20211229_114357449.jpg

IMG_20211229_114415069.jpg