Sign in to follow this  
tank

Oahu botanical gardens

tank

Looking for recommendations on palm rich botanical gardens or other palmy public spots on Oahu.  Staying on the north shore for a week this month and will have some free time to explore the island.  Thanks!

bgl

Ho'omaluhia on the windward side (overlooking Kaneohe) - very easy access. You can drive in and there will be lots of palms on both sides of the road. Stop here and there.

Lyon Arboretum, at the upper end of Manoa Valley. Total opposite. A real rainforest and a bit of a challenge in some places (lots of ups and downs). Definitely only on foot!

Foster Botanical Garden in downtown Honolulu - "only" 10-12 acres or so. Very walkable and a couple of hours would be plenty. For the two above you'd need anywhere from half a day to a full day (each) depending on your level of interest and level of stamina...:mrlooney:

bgl

A couple of random photos from Lyon (Coryphas and Roystoneas).

2014-02-22_099.JPG

2014-02-22_104.JPG

• Like 4

bgl

And a few random shots from Ho'omaluhia, which In most places is fairly manicured and it's easy to get photos of individual palms. Lyon by comparison is totally wild! :lol:

2013-11-25_023.JPG

2013-11-25_033.JPG

2013-11-25_036.JPG

2013-11-25_040.JPG

2013-11-25_042.JPG

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

GottmitAlex

Just spectacular!

Tracy

Since you mentioned you will be staying on the North Shore, there is the Waimea Falls Botanical Garden right behind the big wave surf spot "Waimea".  I've never been to the other spots mentioned so can't compare.

20140328-IMG_5953_Waimea_Falls.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Zeeth

Check out the Koko crater botanical garden too. There are some travel logs from there here on PT.

• Like 2

tank

Thanks for the recommendations!

scottgt

What is the clumping palm in the last photo from Ho'omaluhia Gardens?

krishnaraoji88

Best are Ho'omaluhia and Lyon Arboretum (my fav) for wet tropical but both are muddy hiking kind. If you have a little extra time Fosters is a nice 1-2 hr break and has good paths and Koko Crater has cool desert tropical and native palm species. Up on north shore there is Waimea Valley which actually has a quite nice garden and has a waterfall at the end that sometimes they let you swim in plus has cool Hawaiian cultural activities. If you need any other Oahu specific suggestions feel free to ask :) Ive lived here 4 years now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

krishnaraoji88
16 hours ago, scottgt said:

What is the clumping palm in the last photo from Ho'omaluhia Gardens?

Pinanga coronata (not the kuhlii form)

colin Peters

My favorite has to be Lyon, other than some of the big island gardens, it has to be one of the greatest collections of palms there is. There are gems there that are deeply hidden and seem almost like they are forgotten, pretty much seemed like Ray Bakers plan to keep them like that, so they remain untouched. It is a rainforest environment. I would be more than happy to show you around, it all depends on when you are here and my work schedule. It is truly a wonderland if you know where to look. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

scottgt
21 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

Pinanga coronata (not the kuhlii form)

I would have never guessed P.coronata. I am not familiar with this very pinnate form. 

Thanks

krishnaraoji88

Its really quite stunning in person. And it tolerates full sun

• Like 1

colin Peters

Couple of tantalizing shots from Lyon.

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg