IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms of Myrtle Beach

SilverDragon

These were taken when I went to Myrtle Beach back in the end of August and beginning of September of 2018. I suspect they are Sabal palmetto, but the thin trunks make me think they are something else. This and all the following pictures were taken along North Ocean boulevard, not far from the famous Ferris wheel of Myrtle Beach. I was there literally right before the hurricane hit...I could see the clouds in the distance over the ocean as we drove to the airport!

IMG_20180903_110353.jpg

Edited by SilverDragon
  • Like 4

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

The one on the left was the tallest Sabal I saw while down there.

IMG_20180903_105920.jpg

• Like 4

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

Trachycarpus id?

IMG_20180903_113222.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This was one of the very few sad looking Washingtonias I saw.

IMG_20180903_113042.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful pair in a vacant lot...palms always look best to me with an open sea/sky behind them, even the humble Sabal.

IMG_20180903_121500.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Edited by SilverDragon

Always love a nice "character palm" :D

IMG_20180903_113150-EFFECTS.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Saw a few P. canariensis around the area. They seemed to do better than the Washiontonias.

IMG_20180903_114257.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I always love seeing some nice Opuntia.

IMG_20180903_123013.jpg

• Like 1

Pindos are of course common around here as well.

IMG_20180903_105821.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_20180903_122525.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SilverDragon said:

These were taken when I went to Myrtle Beach back in the end of August and beginning of September of 2018. I suspect they are Sabal palmetto, but the thin trunks make me think they are something else. This and all the following pictures were taken along North Ocean boulevard, not far from the famous Ferris wheel of Myrtle Beach.

IMG_20180903_110353.jpg

i love the pics! that is a palmetto btw with a weathered trunk

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

i love the pics! that is a palmetto btw with a weathered trunk

Wow well I really think they are attractive with the skinny trunks and nice, full Sabal crown! Hopefully they're still there after the hurricane :bummed:

4 minutes ago, SilverDragon said:

Wow well I really think they are attractive with the skinny trunks and nice, full Sabal crown! Hopefully they're still there after the hurricane :bummed:

sabal palmetto do amazing for hurricanes and are one of the most wind resistant palms unless it had a rotting trunk it should still be there

• Upvote 1

Myrtle Beach has some nice palms, and if you are away from the built up areas you will see a lot of wild Sabal minor too hiding in the woods and swamps. Myrtle Beach is probably where my palm addiction started. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

The worst thing that can happen to a Sabal palmetto during a hurricane is just some frond damage. About a week after Florence made landfall, I visited Wilmington and I noticed some of the Sabal palmettos there looked tattered from the wind.  

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

It has been almost 10 years since I have been to Myrtle Beach, but I went there with friends a lot in high school and college. They definitely have planted out more palms in the city since my last trip in 2009. 

• Like 1

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε