Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

It Is Icy Out!

PalmTreeDude

So we had a bit of snow, then it got really icy and apparently we are suppose to have more snow around 5 PM. Tempature has been hovering from 30 - 34 degrees F. Tonight it is suppose to get down to 27 degrees F. I am sure the roads are going to be a mess. 

Loblolly Pines (below)

1547403382335921.jpg

154740338307081.thumb.jpg.7d5f5ba5d6c20b1547403382740799.thumb.jpg.f00adde5bba06

1547403384204292.thumb.jpg.12398886e8c57

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Needle Palm (below)

1547403383453352.thumb.jpg.861871dc21ca6

Butia (below) 

1547403383822833.thumb.jpg.231bf2d82ed62

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

One of my many Sabal palmetto seedlings (below)

1547403384531429.thumb.jpg.90f12875ffb5e

• Upvote 2

GottmitAlex

That's cold alright!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this huge difference in tempatures in Coastal Southern California and Inland Southern California from the ocean and the mountains? How high are these mountains? Every time I look at a tempature map of the U.S. I see how much cooler it is in Coastal California than Inland California, which I know is a desert. Does Coastal California ever seem chilly out at some times around this time of year? Out of curiosity I sometimes compare tempatures of here and places like San Diego or Los Angeles and a lot of the time it is warmer here (during the day) in the Spring time. For people who live in these places, what does it feel like out? It looks like Southern California has all kinds of different little (but bigger than micro) climates. I make sure to pay attention to the time difference as well. 
      I apologize for the typo in the title, I didn't notice it. 

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      The weather differences here between today and yesterday are pretty staggering. 
      And even more so around this time last year!

Anyone living south of the Mason Dixon can probably relate to these events. But sadly, mass meltings like these always demonstrate how poor my native soil is. It’s a clay type soil which can remain  extremely soggy around 1-3 days after precipitation. You can even see runoff and puddling. The drainage is extremely poor and I would like some tips on improving it. I want to keep my palm’s soil atleast partly the native soil, but I was thinking about adding organic materials to the mix such as crumbled leaves, peat moss, and pearlite to increase drainage. Any experiences and/or tips will help! Thanks!

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      How well do the Appalachian mountains block cold air? Are they simply not tall enough to block as much cold air as the Rockies on the West Coast (areas that share the same latitude as me on the West Coast and that are as far from the ocean as me are zone 9a/9b for the most part)? From this tempature map (I am currently just Southwest of Richmond) it seems like they do a good job. Although this is never something I really paid attention too (much). 

• Bill H2DB
      By Bill H2DB
      Here's a shot of some local  PWS's  via W.U. taken this morn at about 7AM.
      (The DP has actually dropped since yesterday , when it was at 78-80 for much of the day , and that 
      combined with air temps of about 90-92 , gave heat indexes of about 107 or so....)
      Surf Temps have been running about 86 deg for a few weeks .

7AM 9-21-18 DB area by Bill H, on Flickr

• Dosmi
      By Dosmi
      Hello!
      My lifelong quest would be to have rough requirement tables in Wikipedia for a quick lookup for the palm trees to grow, what temperatures it can grow in, what extreme conditions it can grow in,
      and more difficult - a map representation where that species could potentially grow (with possibly some color scale on how difficult it is for a palm tree to grow there).
      If you have good resources for such material, especially for the maps, maybe some already exist (I've not found a map yet which shows where Arecaceae grow in the world) please let me know, any information is really helpful!