• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What was your lowest temperature this winter?

NC_Palms

28F is the lowest I've seen.  Last two winters I bottomed out at 26F, and only dropped below freezing 4 nights each year - not too bad for 8B.  Geraniums and petunias are still growing strong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B87 said:

London is nowhere near being a med climate. I really don’t think you understand how climate works at all.

He's been caught several times exaggerating his "med climate". Thankfully he's the only one that buys it lol. Everyone else just rolls their eyes and reads the next post.

A brief 29° for our winter lows to date.  Just need to get through another 4-5 weeks to be done with winter for another year. Strangely my cunninghamiana is still (slowly) opening new fronds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

I heard we are in for a few warm weeks so the winter low temps might be in... Bet you didn’t expect to move 100 miles north and have an 11a winter. lol

Yep I am hoping for a 11a winter, one can hope but it ain't over till its over! :D

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Low hit 47.7F a couple nights ago - our current lowest.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

6 hours ago, B87 said:

London is nowhere near being a med climate. I really don’t think you understand how climate works at all.

"Nowhere near being a Med climate"...?

I think you will find that it is extremely borderline 'warm summer Mediterranean' climate now. Most years at least anyway. I mean how many oceanic climates average just 18-21 inches of rain a year, with spring and summer droughts? And highs reaching 95-100F in the summer. And lows rarely below freezing. Even the rainfall pattern pretty much corresponds with other Mediterranean climate's, with a majority of it falling between October - January. Yet apparently London is "nowhere near being a Med climate".

Again, I said "BORDERLINE warm summer Med"... not "hot summer Mediterranean climate". So I am talking about us barely scraping the lower end of the spectrum here. Like on the fence between two climatic zones. It's hardly an exaggeration when you collate the stats from recent years.

4 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

He's been caught several times exaggerating his "med climate". Thankfully he's the only one that buys it lol. Everyone else just rolls their eyes and reads the next post.

No offence, but you don't live on this side of the Atlantic, in southeastern England. And strangely, you, and others, will no doubt try and insist that Portland, Oregon is a Mediterranean climate, when it actually receives way more rainfall, and is marginally colder during winter than London. Yet you will probably say Portland is borderline 'warm summer Med'. 

So it doesn't matter how fine the margin is, you will just pick and choose to suit an agenda. People love to accentuate the perception that London's weather is crap, and that it is wet and cold all year-round. Although that agenda probably isn't helped by the low levels of sunlight in winter at this latitude.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

7 hours ago, Chester B said:

28F is the lowest I've seen.  Last two winters I bottomed out at 26F, and only dropped below freezing 4 nights each year - not too bad for 8B.  Geraniums and petunias are still growing strong.

Same Low for me. It looks like you guys might be in for a cold shot in the next 5-7 days. hope it doesn't get too cold. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RJ said:

Same Low for me. It looks like you guys might be in for a cold shot in the next 5-7 days. hope it doesn't get too cold. 

Yeah I’ve been watching it closely. Looks like some days in the upper 30s and overnight in the low 30s. Sure hope it misses us. They aren’t the best at predicting long term around here so fingers crossed.  

Low of -2.7-3.3c /26-27f. So far this this winter. It's been a chilly winter with several nights dropping below freezing & snow Thanksgiving & the day after Christmas. Being a zone 8b I cant complain :violin:covered most of my newly planted small stuff with Queens, pindo, chamarhops (green & blue), Brahea edulis, Trithrinax campestris, Jubaea etc. on their own. 

20191226_155339.jpg

20191226_155317.jpg

20191226_155253.jpg

IMG_7413.jpg

• Like 3

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

I'm just hoping the really cold late fall and spell we had in late fall is it. But I'm sure we will get it bad at some point between now and mid March. But a guy can dream!!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

11 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I'm just hoping the really cold late fall and spell we had in late fall is it. But I'm sure we will get it bad at some point between now and mid March. But a guy can dream!!

That would be quite the dream, seeing we are only 3 weeks from the START of winter lol. But, the weather patterns have had a very persistent east coast warmth trend, so who knows.

Got below freezing one time so far @ 30F and it was brief enough that the bananas are still up.

Edited by enigma99

Winter hasn't been too bad but this morning was down to 35 and frosty. Don't think I'll see any damage. Hopefully the rest of the winter stays a bit warmer. 

2 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

That would be quite the dream, seeing we are only 3 weeks from the START of winter lol. But, the weather patterns have had a very persistent east coast warmth trend, so who knows.

Lol winter here is most of December all of January, February and sometimes it rears its ugly head in doses during March. But to define winter here would be the former 3 months. I usually start plantation around March 15th depending on the forecast as that is usually when we are safe. Worst case I plant later in March.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Lol winter here is most of December all of January, February and sometimes it rears its ugly head in doses during March. But to define winter here would be the former 3 months. I usually start plantation around March 15th depending on the forecast as that is usually when we are safe. Worst case I plant later in March.

Oh, I hear you. I use to live back east!

Speaking of cold. This is still 11 days out (so 50/50 at best). But this forecasted cold outbreak bears watching.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.00.48 PM.png

35 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Speaking of cold. This is still 11 days out (so 50/50 at best). But this forecasted cold outbreak bears watching.

This is what it was forecasting earlier today. (posting just for kicks, not trying to hype or alarm anyone- it's too far out anyway)

1199357482_Troptidjan20.thumb.PNG.7d0ab13076d9bd7b200b96fa1a119413.PNG

The lowest I have seen over the past 5 weeks is 36.4F.... 

I am 35 miles outside of central London and around 30 miles inland from the coast. There is no urban heat island effect where I am.  Yet large palms are popping up EVERYWHERE in this area. Palms that I never even noticed were growing a few years ago. Washies and CIDP are gaining 2-3 foot of trunk a year even. Again, this is not London or the south coast. This is inland locations in the southeast of England where winter lows are colder than inner city London, but summer highs in these inland locations push 95-100F regularly in recent years...

To say these palms are growing like weeds in recent years would be an understatement...

Strong Mediterranean influence, from the mild wet winters and hot, dry summers of recent years...

Make what you will...

scottish-palms.jpg

Frensham-ponds-hotel-wedding-guests-on-lawn.jpg

Pleasure-gardens-in-summer_.jpg

English garden.jpg

Image-2_940x627.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 01.30.23.jpg

5160844.jpg

40218628714_6dd01150f3_b.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 17.14.51.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 17.16.40.jpg

CVOoBbWW4AEG7lg-1.jpg

ENjrWUVWkAUPLxT.jpg

DHm1rRuXUAAKGiR.jpg

stock-photo-park-summer-relaxing-bright-fresh-trees-scenary-coastal-exotic-cc8d21e6-ba83-4138-8c17-b1673b2a1df2-1.jpg

27502602127_4c30ca70ab_b.jpg

19636_v6.jpg

DDvYOXoXcAA78li.jpg

20180915_122318.jpg

Washie 7.jpg

Washie 15.jpg

Washie 8.jpg

Washie 13.jpg

Washie 14.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

3 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.00.48 PM.png

Ouch I hope it's wrong! But not surprised as January is the month with the most occurrences of cold snaps. February can be bad as well but less likely. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Ouch I hope it's wrong! But not surprised as January is the month with the most occurrences of cold snaps. February can be bad as well but less likely. 

Good Lord, I see lows of -28F in some parts of the midwest and 3F in Maryland where you are. Heaven forbid. 

That's insanely cold. I have never, ever experienced anything like it. That is literally the stuff of nightmares. Even Trachycarpus Fortunei is at risk of outright dying in temps below 10F, so take all precautions necessary... just in case. 

Hopefully it doesn't get that cold for you guys, because that is extreme... :excl:

31 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Good Lord, I see lows of -28F in some parts of the midwest and 3F in Maryland where you are. Heaven forbid. 

That's insanely cold. I have never, ever experienced anything like it. That is literally the stuff of nightmares. Even Trachycarpus Fortunei is at risk of outright dying in temps below 10F, so take all precautions necessary... just in case. 

Hopefully it doesn't get that cold for you guys, because that is extreme... :excl:

I have had trachycarpus survive down to single digits for a while during the 2018 event. Our forecast out 10 days shows 1 low in the mid 20s. Our climate here is a solid humid subtropic albeit at the colder end with the coldest month being 7 to 8f above the minimum for the designation. Once you get a little ways west of Frederick Maryland it starts turning into humid continental. Hagerstown and west is a markedly different climate and places like Frostburg and Oakland are even colder than that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

37F and 1 other night at 39F. My coconut is doing well so far. 

20200104_115522.jpg

That's a really healthy looking coconut mate, it's obviously very happy or it wouldn't be fruiting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sandgroper said:

That's a really healthy looking coconut mate, it's obviously very happy or it wouldn't be fruiting.

I agree, great looking coconut especially in Orlando!

• Like 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

19 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

This is what it was forecasting earlier today. (posting just for kicks, not trying to hype or alarm anyone- it's too far out anyway)

1199357482_Troptidjan20.thumb.PNG.7d0ab13076d9bd7b200b96fa1a119413.PNG

Ouch. Hoping those polar vortex' keep at bay this year.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.05.29 PM.png

On 12/30/2019 at 6:59 PM, SailorBold said:

New low... 19f.  Right now getting into the coldest part of winter.. Forecast doesnt look good.  No protection on anything.. but not too bad overall.  If its closer to a normal winter.. Im generally worried for another month or so. 

Low of 19f.. I'll take it..  especially after last winter.  8b. That doesn't happen often here.. but not unheard of. The forecast looks alright.. 

Dare I say winter is over??

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Nothing below 6C this winter.

Let's see what the latter half of January has in store for us..

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Lowest I have seen this year so far is still 20.2F, although I wouldn't doubt us dropping into zone 8 temps early next week...

On 1/12/2020 at 12:34 PM, SailorBold said:

Low of 19f.. I'll take it..  especially after last winter.  8b. That doesn't happen often here.. but not unheard of. The forecast looks alright.. 

Agree w/ you.. If it stands, only hitting 19F puts you right on the 8B/9A line..  Definitely not bad for that part of New Mexico... Even if you do hit a degree or two lower on one or two mornings.. now- thru the end of Feb. still not bad, and still on that line, overall imo..

Also not quite ready to call winter done just yet..  That said, looking back to the end of October.. ( At least according to Accuweather data ) We've only hit 32F twice, and 34F twice here in Chandler.. W. underground had the closest station to the house hit 30.9F for an hour one morning a couple weeks ago..  Going with their data, i'd add a couple more days close to/ at 32F.. Which would still keep us in the low 10A range this year.

IF that holds thru the next 3 1/2 weeks or so, that puts us either just over.. or right on the 10A/10B line for this winter.. Next couple weeks stay mild/ warm-ish.. low to mid 70s possible all of next week.. Lows no lower than maybe 38F ..and that is supposed to occur tonight.. 40s forecast for the rest of the next 6-8 days.

While it will likely change, last week of Jan./ entire month of Feb. looks mild/ warm, with 80s showing up at least 3 days next month ( Accuweather long range/ wish cast ) If Accuweather's suggestion for March is on target, we could see 80+ 18 out of 31 days next month. Nothing below 32F is currently suggested for lows both months...

While it appears an earlier thought i'd had regarding this winter's " starting out cooler/wetter ..ending dry and warm here" may come to fruition, surprises over the next 6-7 weeks can still happen.. We'll see how it shakes out around this time next month... By then, it will be a bit easier to put winter 2019/2020 in the rear view mirror.

That said, definitely cool-ish at times, but not bad at all..

On 1/12/2020 at 11:34 AM, SailorBold said:

I certainly would not dare say winter is over for many parts of the country. We've had an "uneventful" winter to this point, with about another month with a chance of "real" cold. Surprisingly my bananas leaves (extremely frost sensitive) have not been fried and the calla lily's still haven't had any damage. Meanwhile the bougainvillea has had a thin frost cloth draped over it since mid November 

A brief 29° dip for about 40 min IMBY for a season low.

5 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree w/ you.. If it stands, only hitting 19F puts you right on the 8B/9A line..  Definitely not bad for that part of New Mexico... Even if you do hit a degree or two lower on one or two mornings.. now- thru the end of Feb. still not bad, and still on that line, overall imo..

Also not quite ready to call winter done just yet..  That said, looking back to the end of October.. ( At least according to Accuweather data ) We've only hit 32F twice, and 34F twice here in Chandler.. W. underground had the closest station to the house hit 30.9F for an hour one morning a couple weeks ago..  Going with their data, i'd add a couple more days close to/ at 32F.. Which would still keep us in the low 10A range this year.

IF that holds thru the next 3 1/2 weeks or so, that puts us either just over.. or right on the 10A/10B line for this winter.. Next couple weeks stay mild/ warm-ish.. low to mid 70s possible all of next week.. Lows no lower than maybe 38F ..and that is supposed to occur tonight.. 40s forecast for the rest of the next 6-8 days.

While it will likely change, last week of Jan./ entire month of Feb. looks mild/ warm, with 80s showing up at least 3 days next month ( Accuweather long range/ wish cast ) If Accuweather's suggestion for March is on target, we could see 80+ 18 out of 31 days next month. Nothing below 32F is currently suggested for lows both months...

While it appears an earlier thought i'd had regarding this winter's " starting out cooler/wetter ..ending dry and warm here" may come to fruition, surprises over the next 6-7 weeks can still happen.. We'll see how it shakes out around this time next month... By then, it will be a bit easier to put winter 2019/2020 in the rear view mirror.

That said, definitely cool-ish at times, but not bad at all..

Im definitely being optimistic.. but should have phrased it differently. Winter is not over.. but perhaps the coldest temperatures of winter are. Im getting a more pacific feel of this winter.. and if that holds true then the storms we are getting are warmish.  The coldest part of winter is over now which is basically dec. 15 to jan 15. now if it gets crazy like 2011.. im going to eat my words. 

My palms are all looking great with no protection.  Last year everything zapped end of December after getting some size from the last few years mild winters.. I need them to get some more trunk...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

I certainly would not dare say winter is over for many parts of the country. We've had an "uneventful" winter to this point, with about another month with a chance of "real" cold. Surprisingly my bananas leaves (extremely frost sensitive) have not been fried and the calla lily's still haven't had any damage. Meanwhile the bougainvillea has had a thin frost cloth draped over it since mid November 

A brief 29° dip for about 40 min IMBY for a season low.

Thats awesome..  what do you typically see every year?  We are still in winter here.. but not zone defining lows..  Im ok with even some cold temps as long as it warms up quickly with the stronger sun.

6 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Lowest I have seen this year so far is still 20.2F, although I wouldn't doubt us dropping into zone 8 temps early next week...

Still not too bad... thats warmer than what I recorded.. Im ok with zone 8 temps.. the difference is that when we get cold after the sun sets.. it will drop to 20f by 7pm.. so not really long duration by definition on palm talk... but longer freezes overnight.  It seems there is more humidity this winter which is keeping the temps warmer..  thats an adavntage you definitely have over my climate.

28F still the lowest, most nights in the upper 30's/low 40's, but much more cloudy and rainy the last while.  Going to be hanging out at 50F for the foreseeable future.  I feel like we get 7 months of spring, 4 months of summer, 1 month of fall and 2 or 3 days of winter each year.

In the 4 years I've lived here the lows at my location have been:

18F, 25F, 26F and 28F so far this year.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2

My first frost in 5 weeks here tonight. Down to 31F right now at 1am under the clear skies. I'm expecting to drop down to 28/29F by sunrise here. London on the other hand is still sitting at a comfortable 38F, which goes to show the massive urban heat island effect of a big city and being in such close proximity to the Thames river and the east coast. It moderates their temperature massively, rarely dropping below freezing on even the coldest of nights. Hence them being able to grow Roystonia Regia there, unprotected.

Even still, my inland countryside location remains pretty mild. After 5 weeks of nighttime lows in the 50-55F region, we have several nights of frost predicted here, but nothing below 28F hopefully. Not bad for mid winter at 51N. Hopefully I don't see anything below 25F this winter. The Phoenix Canariensis are absolutely thriving here anyway. There's going to be some monsters appearing in the coming years/decades. The Washies as well appear to be on steroids with some ridiculous growth going on inland here... especially the Filifera... but also Filibusta and Robusta's too...

CqTQ1D4W8AAwY_o.jpg

DgzYxG8WAAU64xL.jpg

C1gN3BaXcAEQou5.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Thats awesome..  what do you typically see every year?  We are still in winter here.. but not zone defining lows..  Im ok with even some cold temps as long as it warms up quickly with the stronger sun.

We are 9B so we are running a warm 9B/10A. With our brief 29°. Most years 28° is pretty typical for a winter low. In my 6 years here 25° was our lowest. But again only briefly. We always warm to mid 50's to low 60's.

3 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Im definitely being optimistic.. but should have phrased it differently. Winter is not over.. but perhaps the coldest temperatures of winter are. Im getting a more pacific feel of this winter.. and if that holds true then the storms we are getting are warmish.  The coldest part of winter is over now which is basically dec. 15 to jan 15. now if it gets crazy like 2011.. im going to eat my words. 

My palms are all looking great with no protection.  Last year everything zapped end of December after getting some size from the last few years mild winters.. I need them to get some more trunk...

I hear that.. Hopefully there are no surprises, and the current pattern essentially glides into spring.. though i'm hoping for at least one more decent rain event before we start down the "No more rain until at least July" road..

Front yard looks good, but could use one last good drink.  If the latest long range for the months ahead ( from the CPC ) is correct, looks like a lot of above normal warmth across the region this spring/ summer.. No hints regarding what summer might bring rain-wise yet though.

Agree that ( for the most part, so far ) most of the storms that have effected the Southwest this winter have had more of a Pacific component rather than dropping due south/ south east from western Canada / Great Basin. Been kind of surprised some of the really cold air that has tried to set up over far N.E. Arizona at times hasn't spilled over the rim, or over towards where you're at.. For such a small state, still amazed it can be 8F in Winslow and 54F in Yuma on the same morning, Can't imagine how winters would play out w/out the rim acting as a barrier.

23 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Still not too bad... thats warmer than what I recorded.. Im ok with zone 8 temps.. the difference is that when we get cold after the sun sets.. it will drop to 20f by 7pm.. so not really long duration by definition on palm talk... but longer freezes overnight.  It seems there is more humidity this winter which is keeping the temps warmer..  thats an adavntage you definitely have over my climate.

It's rare to go bellow 50% humidity here. Problem is cold and humid is more dangerous to palms that cold and dry...plus cold and humid feels colder too. It's not uncommon to see a few nights in the teens during winter but the day it rises above freezing. Last few winter we have had some extended and even record setting cold spells (2018) that last longer then just over night.

Lowest is still 17°F from back in December. Lowest so far this January is 19°F.

You can’t help but realize that this is how our winters would normally be if we didn’t have those pesky Arctic/Canadian intrusions of cold air. Advective cold is the only reason why we’re a zone 7. Places in China with similar averages are all 8b/9a because their winters are more stable.

• Upvote 1

The damn weather forecasts in my area had me panicking with a 20F low forecast for Sunday night, so I ended up dragging a bunch of potted stuff under cover. Dacty’s, Queens, Parajubaea, Chambeyronia, Washingtonia Robusta, Dicksonia Antarctica, Cordylines etc. I spent about 2 hours protecting everything, only for it to bottom out at 29F. So I could have left everything out still. Typical. 

Couldn’t afford to risk it though with a cold continental, high pressure air mass sitting directly over us with clear skies at night. I’m surprised the temperature didn’t drop lower than 29F frankly. I’m probably looking at the same again tonight.

16709D78-7ECA-42C6-80FF-4BA2EDE72EBD.jpeg

9CA0A2C8-713A-416A-8A9E-A0B2DF43111C.jpeg

69EB82B1-FF25-4529-91B5-0FA0280ABE09.jpeg

No idea why the last post was in such large font. I typed it out normally. :mellow:

Anway, my lowest this winter so far still stands at 27F.

9 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

No idea why the last post was in such large font. I typed it out normally. :mellow:

Anway, my lowest this winter so far still stands at 27F.

That's a near all time record high pressure sitting over you currently. 1050mb