NC_Palms

What was your lowest temperature this winter?

Silas_Sancona
15 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

While I definitely believe in climate change and global warming... I don't know how much, if any, is actually caused directly by us humans. I mean the earth has been alternating between warming and cooling cycles for millions of years. But if we can slow it down, and reduce its impact, then I think we need to do our bit.

Although I would also argue that pollution in the oceans and habitat loss/rainforest destruction is an even bigger threat right now than climate change. 

Both things you just mentioned,  directly effect overall climate and how quickly or slowly things shift on a natural timescale..  Which is why "climate change" / "Global Warming" is such the issue it is.. Humans taking part in activities which alter the balance / course, have positive / negative impacts on a natural process..  

As far as PG&E / other utility monopolies , their part involves not properly caring for / tending to their equipment / electric lines, etc.  Pure laziness, imo.

They can't be blamed for any abnormal weather conditions that have helped many of these fires spread faster, and hotter than usual however. That can be linked to longer term changes being observed in the weather patterns.. Some contributing factors could be considered cyclical,  others much less normal,  but becoming "the norm" over time, due ..in part.. to human activities / decisions, etc.  Never understood the thinking of anyone who thinks several billion people altering various environmental conditions can't possibly effect the climate, let alone the *Chem trail* believers:rolleyes:.  

As far as the part PG&E played in all these disasters,  I personally feel however that the company should be replaced with some other who has their act together.. and doesn't make excuses for their failures.. let alone attempting to pass the buck onto consumers for gross incompetent negligence.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chester B
1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

Although I would also argue that pollution in the oceans and habitat loss/rainforest destruction is an even bigger threat right now than climate change

Big problems here too!

enigma99
6 hours ago, Chester B said:

Not entirely true, I won't speak to California, but the whole west of North America has been having more frequent, larger and more intense wildfires all the way up into BC.  Until recently I never remember wildfires in BC and this last year it was devastated, Alberta is having more fires too.  In Ontario in the last decade we would even get the smoke on occasion reaching us, which never happened before.  There are now wildfires within the Arctic circle which has not been reported in recent history.  

Although PG&E is to blame for starting it, it was very dry and windy last November. And now we're way beyond a seasonal average of precipitation. Also throw in the coldest February in 60 years... Weather has grown extremely erratic in recent years and climate change is real. 

Edited by enigma99

Xenon

Widespread light freeze, 30-32F for most of Houston. 28-29F for northern/western suburbs and just above freezing adjacent to Galveston bay. 35F in Galveston Island. Pretty much a tie for coldest readings of the season with the equally odd mid November freeze. 

Elsewhere in central/southern Texas:

Austin (Camp Mabry): 27F
San Antonio (KSAT): 28F
Laredo (KLRD): 36F
Corpus Christi (KCRP): 36F
Corpus Christi (NAS): 38F
McAllen (KMFE): 39F
Bronwsville (KBRO): 39F
South Padre Island (SPI Fire Station): 41F 

TexasColdHardyPalms

Coldest temperature of the entire winter yesterday and today @ 22F.  Tied a record low yesterday at DFW airport.  Most of the trees started blooming two weeks ago and will be severely damaged by this late hard freeze.

• Like 1

mdsonofthesouth
3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Coldest temperature of the entire winter yesterday and today @ 22F.  Tied a record low yesterday at DFW airport.  Most of the trees started blooming two weeks ago and will be severely damaged by this late hard freeze.

Wow yall got colder than us?!?! My house bottomed out at 27F about 8f or so bellow March average low. Tomorrow and Thursday look BAD at night!

Palm crazy
8 hours ago, Xenon said:

Widespread light freeze, 30-32F for most of Houston. 28-29F for northern/western suburbs and just above freezing adjacent to Galveston bay. 35F in Galveston Island. Pretty much a tie for coldest readings of the season with the equally odd mid November freeze. 

Elsewhere in central/southern Texas:

Austin (Camp Mabry): 27F
San Antonio (KSAT): 28F
Laredo (KLRD): 36F
Corpus Christi (KCRP): 36F
Corpus Christi (NAS): 38F
McAllen (KMFE): 39F
Bronwsville (KBRO): 39F
South Padre Island (SPI Fire Station): 41F 

Two nights ago I tied my record low for March at 25F,  much warmer tonight and rest of the week. 

• Like 1

enigma99
4 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Two nights ago I tied my record low for March at 25F,  much warmer tonight and rest of the week. 

Why so cold? Did the PNW get hit with an event that didn't make it down to California? I've been around 50 at night for a while now. 

Put out 80lbs of fertilizer last night so this soaking rain can bring it into the soil. Want to get fertilizer in before it heats up next week.

Edited by enigma99

Palm crazy
1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

Why so cold? Did the PNW get hit with an event that didn't make it down to California? I've been around 50 at night for a while now. 

Put out 80lbs of fertilizer last night so this soaking rain can bring it into the soil. Want to get fertilizer in before it heats up next week.

We had two cold nights in a row this week.  Normal would be 35F-38F but 25F that's about as cold as it gets in March up here. Low 30's tonight and next week we even back out to normal for highs and lows. End of March we go above normal.  I just order Dr. Earth palm and hibiscus fertilizer! I am expecting lots of good weather this spring.  

Edited by Palm crazy

Xenon
1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

@TexasColdHardyPalms & @Xenon That is some serious cold for this time of year!

Yep, what's even more crazy was that the afternoon high of 41F was recorded shortly after noon and the lowest reading (39F) was recorded at 3pm. It actually warmed up a bit after 9pm as the wind died down. This is at the same latitude as Miami! Back to 80s soon though

warmuo.JPG.82f76b1e853391f7a77c6baaea1e5e7d.JPG