Jump to content
NC_Palms

What was your lowest temperature this winter?

Recommended Posts

Silas_Sancona
15 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

 

While I definitely believe in climate change and global warming... I don't know how much, if any, is actually caused directly by us humans. I mean the earth has been alternating between warming and cooling cycles for millions of years. But if we can slow it down, and reduce its impact, then I think we need to do our bit.

Although I would also argue that pollution in the oceans and habitat loss/rainforest destruction is an even bigger threat right now than climate change. 

  Both things you just mentioned,  directly effect overall climate and how quickly or slowly things shift on a natural timescale..  Which is why "climate change" / "Global Warming" is such the issue it is.. Humans taking part in activities which alter the balance / course, have positive / negative impacts on a natural process..  

As far as PG&E / other utility monopolies , their part involves not properly caring for / tending to their equipment / electric lines, etc.  Pure laziness, imo.

They can't be blamed for any abnormal weather conditions that have helped many of these fires spread faster, and hotter than usual however. That can be linked to longer term changes being observed in the weather patterns.. Some contributing factors could be considered cyclical,  others much less normal,  but becoming "the norm" over time, due ..in part.. to human activities / decisions, etc.  Never understood the thinking of anyone who thinks several billion people altering various environmental conditions can't possibly effect the climate, let alone the *Chem trail* believers:rolleyes:.  

As far as the part PG&E played in all these disasters,  I personally feel however that the company should be replaced with some other who has their act together.. and doesn't make excuses for their failures.. let alone attempting to pass the buck onto consumers for gross incompetent negligence.  
 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

Although I would also argue that pollution in the oceans and habitat loss/rainforest destruction is an even bigger threat right now than climate change

Big problems here too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
6 hours ago, Chester B said:

Not entirely true, I won't speak to California, but the whole west of North America has been having more frequent, larger and more intense wildfires all the way up into BC.  Until recently I never remember wildfires in BC and this last year it was devastated, Alberta is having more fires too.  In Ontario in the last decade we would even get the smoke on occasion reaching us, which never happened before.  There are now wildfires within the Arctic circle which has not been reported in recent history.  

Although PG&E is to blame for starting it, it was very dry and windy last November. And now we're way beyond a seasonal average of precipitation. Also throw in the coldest February in 60 years... Weather has grown extremely erratic in recent years and climate change is real. 

Edited by enigma99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon

Widespread light freeze, 30-32F for most of Houston. 28-29F for northern/western suburbs and just above freezing adjacent to Galveston bay. 35F in Galveston Island. Pretty much a tie for coldest readings of the season with the equally odd mid November freeze. 

Elsewhere in central/southern Texas:


Austin (Camp Mabry): 27F
San Antonio (KSAT): 28F
Laredo (KLRD): 36F
Corpus Christi (KCRP): 36F
Corpus Christi (NAS): 38F
McAllen (KMFE): 39F
Bronwsville (KBRO): 39F
South Padre Island (SPI Fire Station): 41F 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

Coldest temperature of the entire winter yesterday and today @ 22F.  Tied a record low yesterday at DFW airport.  Most of the trees started blooming two weeks ago and will be severely damaged by this late hard freeze.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mdsonofthesouth
3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Coldest temperature of the entire winter yesterday and today @ 22F.  Tied a record low yesterday at DFW airport.  Most of the trees started blooming two weeks ago and will be severely damaged by this late hard freeze.

Wow yall got colder than us?!?! My house bottomed out at 27F about 8f or so bellow March average low. Tomorrow and Thursday look BAD at night!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy
8 hours ago, Xenon said:

Widespread light freeze, 30-32F for most of Houston. 28-29F for northern/western suburbs and just above freezing adjacent to Galveston bay. 35F in Galveston Island. Pretty much a tie for coldest readings of the season with the equally odd mid November freeze. 

Elsewhere in central/southern Texas:


Austin (Camp Mabry): 27F
San Antonio (KSAT): 28F
Laredo (KLRD): 36F
Corpus Christi (KCRP): 36F
Corpus Christi (NAS): 38F
McAllen (KMFE): 39F
Bronwsville (KBRO): 39F
South Padre Island (SPI Fire Station): 41F 

 

 

Two nights ago I tied my record low for March at 25F,  much warmer tonight and rest of the week. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
4 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Two nights ago I tied my record low for March at 25F,  much warmer tonight and rest of the week. 

Why so cold? Did the PNW get hit with an event that didn't make it down to California? I've been around 50 at night for a while now. 

Put out 80lbs of fertilizer last night so this soaking rain can bring it into the soil. Want to get fertilizer in before it heats up next week.

Edited by enigma99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy
1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

Why so cold? Did the PNW get hit with an event that didn't make it down to California? I've been around 50 at night for a while now. 

Put out 80lbs of fertilizer last night so this soaking rain can bring it into the soil. Want to get fertilizer in before it heats up next week.

We had two cold nights in a row this week.  Normal would be 35F-38F but 25F that's about as cold as it gets in March up here. Low 30's tonight and next week we even back out to normal for highs and lows. End of March we go above normal.  I just order Dr. Earth palm and hibiscus fertilizer! I am expecting lots of good weather this spring.  

Edited by Palm crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon
1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

@TexasColdHardyPalms & @Xenon That is some serious cold for this time of year!

Yep, what's even more crazy was that the afternoon high of 41F was recorded shortly after noon and the lowest reading (39F) was recorded at 3pm. It actually warmed up a bit after 9pm as the wind died down. This is at the same latitude as Miami! Back to 80s soon though

warmuo.JPG.82f76b1e853391f7a77c6baaea1e5e7d.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sabal_Louisiana

Though this was exceptional, No lower than 38F the entire winter season down at Grand isle, Louisiana. If they weren't so vulnerable to coastal erosion and flooding from big storms I'd get a lot down there and experiment with tropicals. Some people grow bougainvillea out of the ground on the island.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
On 3/28/2019 at 8:29 AM, Sabal_Louisiana said:

Though this was exceptional, No lower than 38F the entire winter season down at Grand isle, Louisiana. If they weren't so vulnerable to coastal erosion and flooding from big storms I'd get a lot down there and experiment with tropicals. Some people grow bougainvillea out of the ground on the island.

 

Wow! That is great news.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyManUtah

Lowest was 19. Did have 4” of snow too, which hasn’t happened in 20 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sabal_Louisiana

Has anyone here who has posted their PWS (Personal Weather Station) data from WUnderground notice how their website data display (based on WU's API) has gone downhill lately, thanks to let's say "corporate changes"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
8 minutes ago, Sabal_Louisiana said:

Has anyone here who has posted their PWS (Personal Weather Station) data from WUnderground notice how their website data display (based on WU's API) has gone downhill lately, thanks to let's say "corporate changes"?

Don't currently have my own Wx station atm but have noticed the changes when looking over neighborhood stations, not a fan of this whole "Dashboard" thing they rolled out over the last couple weeks..  Have to access the station pages on Googel since,  and this might be my fault.. i get nowhere when looking over the same page on Firefox.. plus, wind and temp readings don't automatically refresh like they used to..  Lost most interest in W.U. when they re-did Wundermap, and the long range 4cast model analysis pages sometime ago.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cocoa Beach Jason

38 Cocoa Beach Florida

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl

37-38F Orlando, Fl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sevapalms

19-20F Yorktown, Virginia (near VA Beach)

Edited by sevapalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

21 South fort worth, TX,

23f Mansfield, TX

Zero snow or ice. 5th year in a row now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NC_Palms

Since winter is right around the corner... lets bring back this discussion.

Currently in Bluffton, SC we have had no hard freezes. The coldest temperature that I recorded was 34ºF. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

Coldest I've recorded here is 42.7F so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex

46.4F/8C lowest.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold

20.5f here this far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl

Roughly 40F in Orlando.  We are now well into freeze season, historically at least.

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg

49.6F a couple weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UK_Palms

Out here in the rural countryside, the lowest I have seen so far is 27F back in late November.

But Guildford which is 5 miles NE of me hasn't dropped below 30F yet, and central London, which is about 30 miles NE of me, still hasn't dropped below 32F so far. I'm not even sure if central London has experienced a frost yet. Maybe 2 or 3 nights down to 32-33F. That's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JLM

So far here in the FL panhandle it has gotten down to about 27°-28°, with a brutal windchill of 19°. The wind was blowing out of the north at 15-25mph that morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On 12/19/2019 at 7:43 AM, SailorBold said:

20.5f here this far. 

New low... 19f.  Right now getting into the coldest part of winter.. Forecast doesnt look good.  No protection on anything.. but not too bad overall.  If its closer to a normal winter.. Im generally worried for another month or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona

For this half of winter 2019-20, lowest in this part of Chandler has seen will be 31.2F, recorded Sunday morning. No frost on the ground though, at least here.. Saw pics of some frost / ice on pools over in Queen Creek/ San Tan area on the local news Sunday night. Not seeing any damage on anything i left outside. Very cold yesterday though.. only reached 48F in full sun.

Warmer the rest of the week, possibly back to 68-71F for the weekend. No rain in the forecast for now.  Nights stay in the 37-42F-ish range though..  Unless we see anything colder, this might end up being the coldest low for the entire winter..  While winter has just began, its the next 7 weeks i concern myself with the most.. Once past mid-Feb,  "Winter" is pretty much over ..until next December.. That said, not bad so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Estlander

So far the coldest it’s gotten here in coastal FL panhandle is 31.3F. And nothing crazy in the forecast the next 10 days out. So far so good. Really hoping for another 10A winter like last year, during which we only went down to 33F. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mdsonofthesouth

20.2f so far...not looking good for this winter. Just hoping we don't have any serious events in january.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
49 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

20.2f so far...not looking good for this winter. Just hoping we don't have any serious events in january.

Global warming if it does. Global warming if it doesn't. 

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mdsonofthesouth
8 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Global warming of it does. Global warming if it doesn't. 

 

Sounds about right...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

45.7 a couple weeks ago here in St. Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UK_Palms

Central London and specifically London City airport is still yet to drop below 34F yet. There's no foreseeable frost risk either for at least the next two weeks, by the looks of things. Perhaps central London will go the whole winter without seeing a frost even...? 

It seems the lowest they saw last winter was 30F, so central London by the eastern Thames Estuary appears to be a solid 10a zone now, and 9b during bad winters. Just a few light frosts each winter. With average highs of 75F in summer, occasionally pushing 100F, and only 22 inches of rain... it's showing strong signs of being a warm summer Mediterranean climate now. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B87
On 1/3/2020 at 12:05 AM, UK_Palms said:

Central London and specifically London City airport is still yet to drop below 34F yet. There's no foreseeable frost risk either for at least the next two weeks, by the looks of things. Perhaps central London will go the whole winter without seeing a frost even...? 

It seems the lowest they saw last winter was 30F, so central London by the eastern Thames Estuary appears to be a solid 10a zone now, and 9b during bad winters. Just a few light frosts each winter. With average highs of 75F in summer, occasionally pushing 100F, and only 22 inches of rain... it's showing strong signs of being a warm summer Mediterranean climate now. 

London is nowhere near being a med climate. I really don’t think you understand how climate works at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

43.3 F on January 6th.  I would be very happy if that was the lowest this winter but still have a long ways to go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
2 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

43.3 F on January 6th.  I would be very happy if that was the lowest this winter but still have a long ways to go!

I heard we are in for a few warm weeks so the winter low temps might be in... Bet you didn’t expect to move 100 miles north and have an 11a winter. lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...