• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What was your lowest temperature this winter?

NC_Palms

18 hours ago, cm05 said:

Here’s my breakdown:

69CA6414-2FE1-4744-8BC0-A454646F2170.thumb.jpeg.579a347b3b5cd1b960bdf4635da29fea.jpeg

29 degrees colder than Orlando with similar precipitation. Zone 7a winter, average is 7b. 

Summer feels like a distant memory.

7C18DB50-379A-4066-8BAF-0C6E78C1C9A7.thumb.jpeg.b90df344b41ba33f221343b5d0dc56f1.jpeg

We were fortunate to have the warmer winter after the freeze one year ago that my yard is still recovering from. Summer will be here before you know it. Here is my Jun-Sep. Our rainy season was very rainy!

Screenshot_20190218-131400_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

@pj_orlando_z9b @cm05 What weather app are you guys using to get those screenshots?

Cheers

It is wunderground. My weather station publishes each minute to their servers so I can have them store my data. 

Here's the average for my hometown (zone 8b) in the FL Panhandle in Southeast Okaloosa County. Warmest winter since I've been there in 2007- the previous holder having been 2015-16 where it got to 25 deg at the lowest. This weather station on wunderground is actually very close to our house- and I've come to find out in recent years that our neighborhood is one of the coldest microclimates in the southern part of the county. There were around 5 nights of temps that got in the upper 20's, while areas near the bayous probably didn't get much below 30, and the beaches barely or not even to freezing. Pretty incredible to have been warm enough for queen palms and even Phoenix roebelenni. Nice it has turned out this way though since I still have a lot of tropicals at the house my parents didn't have to worry about protecting too much.

1411813940_WundergroundNiceville.PNG.ca3eb62612f6a305a7f2166bc4aa1c7d.PNG

Edited by Matthew92
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Even though our lowest has been 3.7C this winter (December 29, 2018), right now I am on yellow alert. It is 20 minutes till midnight and we're at 5C....

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3.0C/37.4F this morning. Up till now, today's low has been the coldest temperature for this winter.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I think I can safely call my lowest low of the 2018/2019 winter season (and the highest low in the past 26 years): 43.5F

I believe that low lands me in zone 11a. I'm not holding my breath.

This winter's good news: I didn't have to haul my back lanai uber tropicals indoors even once this past season.

This winter's bad news: Many days this past winter were cloudy and chillier than normal, esp. in Jan - 10 to 15 degrees below normal. So, while my ultimate low was only 43.5F, other nights still fell into the 40s while days struggled to reach low 60s (average in Jan is 75/55). Tropical plants hate gloomy, chilly weather so I've got palms with yellowing, chill-damaged leaves. We also had a rare rain front that dropped over 1-1/2" of rain when daytime temps were only in the 50sF. I should have brought in my tropical container garden for that but we had company at the time so I didn't want to fill the house with dripping plants and let in cold air because our guest had COPD. Subsequently, I lost seedlings to the cold rain.

My 3 Prichardia pacificas have about 1/2 their leaves turning brown although all should survive. The coconuts also look a bit tattered. Now the heat has returned growth should be full steam ahead.

Do I expect next winter's temps to be as overall benign? No. Nature is not awed by people wearing rose-colored glasses. Just as likely I may see a borderline 9b winter like the one in 2009/2010 in which I lost 30+ species of tropical palms. The pendulum swings two ways. But I look forward to the next 9 months of palm prosperity.

See ya next winter.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Last week I hit 25F one morning.  That's the coldest I've seen since January 2017.  Last year's low was 25F or 26F.

9a winter here with a couple of nights in January that reached 21-22F. Every day rose above 35F though. There is no damage at all to my potted CIDP, or the one planted in the ground. 

Places nearby such as suburban London and Gatwick should be looking at a solid 9b winter with lows only down to 26-27F. 

Further afield, I think central London and the south coast of England might even be a 10a this winter, possibly. I think they only saw lows down to 29-30F, once or twice. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

It official, This February was the third coldest month on record and the snowiest February ever! Can't wait to say goodbye to this cold month.  

• Like 1

Looks like another cooldown on Monday-Tuesday with possibility of snow on Monday.  By Friday possibly a warm up????  50F predicted

On 2/22/2019 at 11:52 AM, PalmatierMeg said:

I think I can safely call my lowest low of the 2018/2019 winter season (and the highest low in the past 26 years): 43.5F

I believe that low lands me in zone 11a. I'm not holding my breath.

This winter's good news: I didn't have to haul my back lanai uber tropicals indoors even once this past season.

This winter's bad news: Many days this past winter were cloudy and chillier than normal, esp. in Jan - 10 to 15 degrees below normal. So, while my ultimate low was only 43.5F, other nights still fell into the 40s while days struggled to reach low 60s (average in Jan is 75/55). Tropical plants hate gloomy, chilly weather so I've got palms with yellowing, chill-damaged leaves. We also had a rare rain front that dropped over 1-1/2" of rain when daytime temps were only in the 50sF. I should have brought in my tropical container garden for that but we had company at the time so I didn't want to fill the house with dripping plants and let in cold air because our guest had COPD. Subsequently, I lost seedlings to the cold rain.

My 3 Prichardia pacificas have about 1/2 their leaves turning brown although all should survive. The coconuts also look a bit tattered. Now the heat has returned growth should be full steam ahead.

Do I expect next winter's temps to be as overall benign? No. Nature is not awed by people wearing rose-colored glasses. Just as likely I may see a borderline 9b winter like the one in 2009/2010 in which I lost 30+ species of tropical palms. The pendulum swings two ways. But I look forward to the next 9 months of palm prosperity.

See ya next winter.

I agree Meg, I believe we should be good to go for another year. I am happy with this winter as it is the first winter with the new garden, so all my small stuff will have a chance to grow much larger until next winter, so we were blessed. My tender palms are a bit tattered but will soon look nice again!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

22 hours ago, Chester B said:

Looks like another cooldown on Monday-Tuesday with possibility of snow on Monday.  By Friday possibly a warm up????  50F predicted

The threat of snow is all gone up here, check your area again.  Also, the spring forecast is out and March will be normal, April, May, June is going to be hotter than normal and they said on the news if you don't have one you might want to get an air conditioner this spring, I'm thinking of upgrading mine. Rest of summer hot and dry, more forest fires, yuck! 

1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

he threat of snow is all gone up here, check your area again.  Also, the spring forecast is out and March will be normal, April, May, June is going to be hotter than normal and they said on the news if you don't have one you might want to get an air conditioner this spring, I'm thinking of upgrading mine. Rest of summer hot and dry, more forest fires, yuck! 

A surprise 2" of snow last night and the same tonight.  Getting old...

I sure hope its a hot one.  and yes I have AC

Edited by Chester B

42 in North Palm Beach, but temperature bounced back quickly. Didn't have any cold damage.

Interesting side note, Key West has had another 12a winter. I did the math and if I remember correctly the city has averaged 12a for the past decade. Just something to think about.

Edited by Ubuntwo
Corrected temp
  • Upvote 1

Now that winter is pretty much in the bag here,, lowest readings for the season come in at 25F.. once in Jan ( on the 3rd, the other, 4 days ago) Current running average between the 3 closest stations to the house averages 27F for both Jan and Feb, up to today. Not anticipating any more sub 39F the rest of the month, nor going into March.. While they can still happen, the chance of any more lows below 35F are quickly fading as we start next month as well ..so i think those readings will stand.

If anything, a very bullish 12z GFS  today is attempting to toss in a couple days in the mid / upper 80's around the 6-9th of next month before the next possible chance of rain.. Not buying it just yet.. and don't want that kind of heat this early..  Hold off on the sizzle until ...June.

• Like 1

To help celebrate the end of February I'm putting this winter blooming viburnum 'pink dawn' (Dec - Feb)  it is so sweetly fragrant. I love winter bloomers! :D

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TomJ said:

Very cold / cool for well over a month..... plus rain which is usually rare here

Vale View Weather   Personal Weather Station  KCAVISTA54 by Wunderground.com   Weather Underground (Large).png

Better than my place.

0-E02-C0-B5-E889-4868-8541-5-E23-DFC2-C1

I just move to Kingman in Arizona (Feb. 7) where the coldest it got was 25 F, though I heard it got down to the upper teens in January.

Where i sit--in a canyon--cold air spills past my home which sits in a hill, literally. My property saw almost 2 feet of snow--WOW! Very unusual for there Kingman area; we're lucky if we receive even 3" a year.

On 2/24/2019 at 6:50 AM, Palm crazy said:

Also, the spring forecast is out and March will be normal,

I have a hard time believing this, maybe towards the latter half.  Last night the weather forecast showed some 50's in our future, with overnight lows in the mid to upper 30's.  This morning I wake up to blowing snow that is expected to last all day and a completely revised forecast.  I find that the weather forecasters here in the west have a real hard time predicting and can do wholesale changes to the weather forecast every 12 hours when things are volatile.  This will easily be the coldest stretch all year.

image.thumb.png.99e946d7eb547fbf5d2aaf5d92c8dc43.png

• Like 1

21C yesterday and possible another 20C today which is crazy for us in February. 
Exactly one year ago we were freezing at this date.

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

21 hours ago, Chester B said:

I have a hard time believing this, maybe towards the latter half.  Last night the weather forecast showed some 50's in our future, with overnight lows in the mid to upper 30's.  This morning I wake up to blowing snow that is expected to last all day and a completely revised forecast.  I find that the weather forecasters here in the west have a real hard time predicting and can do wholesale changes to the weather forecast every 12 hours when things are volatile.  This will easily be the coldest stretch all year.

image.thumb.png.99e946d7eb547fbf5d2aaf5d92c8dc43.png

Chester its crazy you guys and getting snow this late, Eugene got hit pretty hard with snow. Up here it is freezing at night but clear as a bell during the day. Yesterday low 31F and this morning 27F. Looks like this cold spell is going to last 6 weeks when finally will go back to normal. BTW welcome to the PNW, lol...:D How long have you lived here now?

Edited by Palm crazy

2 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

How long have you lived here now?

It will be 3 years in April. - I moved sight unseen.  The only other experience I had in the region was a one week work trip to Vancouver Island.  Our last house was on 7 acres and I was starting to grow my own palms from seed and get into coldhardy subtropicals, but wouldn't dare them out as it we lived in a cold microclimate in Ontario.  So there I was growing a huge selection of edibles and rare trees (for the area) that could take the cold.

No regrets, we've been very happy here.  Now only if this weather would turn around.  Long term outlook so far is looking more of the same.

11 hours ago, Exotic Life said:

21C yesterday and possible another 20C today which is crazy for us in February. 
Exactly one year ago we were freezing at this date.

Likewise. It is crazy to think that we had a big polar event this time last year. There were no record lows or anything, but it was pretty darn cold with snow. But fast forward 12 months, and I have just recorded two back to back days of 21C and 3 days over 19C. In February! That is crazy. 

Do you reckon it is global warming? Last June/July we had a brutal 10 week long heatwave and drought as well, which you probably also had, since you are just across the English channel from me. Maybe 150 miles away. I have a suspicion that this year is also going to be very hot as well with temperature records. I am seeing a trend of very hot weather occurring closer to the summer solstice, with the hottest spells in late June/early July now, as opposed to August heatwaves which we used to get often. The climate has definitely shifted here.

Irregular rainfall patterns as well. I mean I have only registered 0.3 inches of rain this month! It has definitely become drier and sunnier in recent years! I only had 16 inches of rain in 2018...

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

5 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Likewise. It is crazy to think that we had a big polar event this time last year. There were no record lows or anything, but it was pretty darn cold with snow. But fast forward 12 months, and I have just recorded two back to back days of 21C and 3 days over 19C. In February! That is crazy. 

Do you reckon it is global warming? Last June/July we had a brutal 10 week long heatwave and drought as well, which you probably also had, since you are just across the English channel from me. Maybe 150 miles away. I have a suspicion that this year is also going to be very hot as well with temperature records. I am seeing a trend of very hot weather occurring closer to the summer solstice, with the hottest spells in late June/early July now, as opposed to August heatwaves which we used to get often. The climate has definitely shifted here.

Irregular rainfall patterns as well. I mean I have only registered 0.3 inches of rain this month! It has definitely become drier and sunnier in recent years! I only had 16 inches of rain in 2018...

And on the west coast our February is the coldest in 60 years! Could be climate change, but irratic for sure. Places warm that shouldn’t be, places colder when they shouldn’t. Jet streams are all wrong

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

And on the west coast our February is the coldest in 60 years! Could be climate change, but irratic for sure. Places warm that shouldn’t be, places colder when they shouldn’t. Jet streams are all wrong

Yeah, the jet stream definitely isn't as consistent as it used to be. Now it seems to be drastically different, season on season, month on month. I have noticed a big change in the jet since the start of 2016. 

I see California was ravaged by its worst ever fires last summer as well. Would you say that is largely due to climate change/global warming, or more to do with human interference and poor environmental planning?

We also had moor/forest fires in the UK last summer during the 10 week drought/heatwave, although ours weren't as big, clearly. Heck we have even had fires the past few days not far from me, which we have never had before in winter. A huge area was burnt to the east of me on Sunday, which took 8 hours to contain. And this is in February! Obviously the 70F temps and clear, sunny, dry weather have played a part in that.

Meanwhile the Mediterranean countries have had massive storms and Athens in Greece was 20F colder than me over the weekend! Talk of snow in the Middle East last weekend as well, which is unusual in January, let alone late February. Even Baghdad in Iraq was colder than eastern Scotland on Monday! The world has gone nuts... :hmm:

The long range forecast is showing a substantial cold front coming into Florida around March 5.  Weather.com is showing temperatures of 59F/40F on March 6 for Orlando so it is something to keep an eye on.  I doubt it will be cold enough to damage anything but it will certainly slow all the tropicals down temporarily.

It’s been mild in Austin. IDK how much of this is Mabry’s thermometer being off or effected by all the surrounding buildings, but Camp Mabry officially only recorded 6 freezes this winter, the coldest being 29° — which is warm 9b, a far cry from the normal cold 9a climate inside the heat island. December was officially frost free. If there’s no more freezes, it would be tied for the 6th fewest freezes on record and is probably one of the highest winter minimum temps.

That jives with the temperature measurements at my house — coldest my thermometer read while I was home was 30.5°. But that thermometer is also kinda close to the house and not 100% reliable — I don’t trust it. But all the freezes all have been light.

My in-ground jacaranda didn’t lose any leaves or burn at all (but it’s in the best microclimate at my house: a south-facing area surrounded by three stone walls). My two small potted jacarandas in ~3g pots on a deck ~15 feet up on the north side of my house did defoliate some (one about 40%, the other about 70%), but they weren’t protected at all and that’s a terrible microclimate for tropicals. They’ll recover fine, though — the growth points seemed fine last I checked. 

My bananas did get toasty leaves, but the pseudostems were 100% fine until our landscaper cut them out (one even had a flowerstalk coming up!). My Musella clumps didn’t burn at all and my amaryllis kept foliage all winter. Even my chiles looked pretty fine before I pulled them up to make room for winter greens!

While there’s been a couple more light freezes since I’ve gone back to school (in the Midwest, so stupid cold), all the (sub)tropical stuff in my neighborhood looked pretty great when I left and there’s only been very light freezes since I left.

This also demonstrates the urban heat island quite well. The airport’s official low this winter was 25°, and they’ve frozen 17 times this winter, a pretty big difference from Mabry.

February also broke 90° at Mabry (the airport was 87°), which is pretty unusual: February’s highest temperature has only been over 90° 12 times since 1897!

Edited by bananaman
  • Like 2

-bananaman

All images I post are shared under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND License

My lowest temp. So far in South Houston was 31 F way back in late November. Got into the upper 30s a few times since then. A cold front next week should put us into the mid 30s, but should stay above 32. This winter has been a bit on the mild side. 

Central Florida's been warm.  Here in Vero Beach, the low temperature for January was 38 (3).  Our high for February has been 90 (32), a record for so early in the season.  The palms are growing happily.  It's quite possible we'll have a March surprise.  Last year and so far this, we've had good luck with masses of Arctic air missing Florida.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On 2/26/2019 at 6:38 PM, UK_Palms said:

I see California was ravaged by its worst ever fires last summer as well. Would you say that is largely due to climate change/global warming, or more to do with human interference and poor environmental planning?

PG&E, the local electric company is to blame here. They are expensive and have mismanaged everything... they are responsible for gas lines blowing up as well that killed 8 people. And in today's news: "Pacific Gas and Electric Co. had proposed repairing electrical lines in the areas affected by the Camp Fire for years but kept delaying construction, officials said Wednesday."

Tragedy. 

13 hours ago, enigma99 said:

PG&E, the local electric company is to blame here. They are expensive and have mismanaged everything... they are responsible for gas lines blowing up as well that killed 8 people. And in today's news: "Pacific Gas and Electric Co. had proposed repairing electrical lines in the areas affected by the Camp Fire for years but kept delaying construction, officials said Wednesday."

Tragedy. 

Right, so the fires were down to human intervention/causes, rather than climate change. All the media in the UK were reporting that the CA fires were a direct result of climate change/global warming, probably to fit an agenda, which was also up-playing our own summer heatwave and forest fires. Channel 4 and The Guardian were claiming at the time, that we are on track for a 5C (10F) rise in temperatures between now and 2100. I remember them saying this while reporting on the CA fires.  

While I definitely believe in climate change and global warming... I don't know how much, if any, is actually caused directly by us humans. I mean the earth has been alternating between warming and cooling cycles for millions of years. But if we can slow it down, and reduce its impact, then I think we need to do our bit.

Although I would also argue that pollution in the oceans and habitat loss/rainforest destruction is an even bigger threat right now than climate change. 

42 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Although I would also argue that pollution in the oceans and habitat loss/rainforest destruction is an even bigger threat right now than climate change. 

I totally agree! Also add population increase to that mix. 

54 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Right, so the fires were down to human intervention/causes, rather than climate change.

Not entirely true, I won't speak to California, but the whole west of North America has been having more frequent, larger and more intense wildfires all the way up into BC.  Until recently I never remember wildfires in BC and this last year it was devastated, Alberta is having more fires too.  In Ontario in the last decade we would even get the smoke on occasion reaching us, which never happened before.  There are now wildfires within the Arctic circle which has not been reported in recent history.  

• Like 1