• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What was your lowest temperature this winter?

NC_Palms

2 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

@Palm crazy What's your record low temperature, in your neck of the woods?

Last night was the lowest for me this winter at 20F/-6.6C  I was hoping for a warm 9a but will settle for a cold 9a. :D 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Last night was the lowest for me this winter at 20F/-6.6C  I was hoping for a warm 9a but will settle for a cold 9a. :D 

Similar to my lowest temp this winter then. I had a low of 20F about a week ago during our cold snap.

I actually meant like what it is your coldest ever temperature on record in your location...

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

50 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Similar to my lowest temp this winter then. I had a low of 20F about a week ago during our cold snap.

I actually meant like what it is your coldest ever temperature on record in your location...

About 15 years ago I had three nights in a row at 12F/-11C, there was no snow clear and cold and I was below freezing for 5 days. 

11 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

That really interesting. The reason we are getting all this cold is that the winds are coming from the east and north bringing all that arctic cold down from the north. Seattle area is so cold right now because of the Frazer valley cold drains into the upper Puget Sound. The jet stream is so south it hitting San Diego and even northern Mexico.  Nice warm up today and low 40's tomorrow, LOL. and then a really big snowstorm will hit Friday night into most of Saturday. And then all next week we will be in the 35-37F for highs and lows in the 25-27F with a chance of snow...It like all our winter weather is happening all at once. LOL!  Last night we were 20F for a low that's 17 degrees below normal. AT least it sunny this week. Most of my snow will be gone today. :D can't say that for folks north of Seattle. 

Thanks for sharing that info, it is good to learn more about how the climate works up there. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Nearest station said low of 34. Next closest station said 32. Could have been worse.. now tonight it will be warmer 

20 hours ago, Laaz said:

Lowest we've seen this winter was 28F  on two nights. I still have peppers going strong.

About the same for my hometown in the the FL Panhandle. Crazy warm winter! that is if it continues to hold up until February. Some weather guidance I've seen lately is indicating the cold will return to the East in some capacity in late Feb.

Not as bad as they were predicting last night.  I had an ultimate low of 27 F at my house, I think the city center was colder at around 23 F.  Forecast is changing every 12 hours around here right now.  Yesterday morning it was a horrendous forecast, last night not too bad, and this morning its taken a turn for the worse again.   

This year at least my temps are higher than what they've been forecasting, but sometimes it can swing the other way.

image.png

21 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

It depends largely on the type of pepper. My Padron's and Apache's take low 30s no problem, and I have known them to take 28-29F with minimal damage. As long as daytime temps warm up to say 60F. The foliage on some pepper types can be quite cold hardy. But most obviously aren't.

Stuff like Trinidad Perfume & bell peppers get wrecked by frost. Even if it is 31-32F. I have maybe trialled 50 different types of pepper in my climate, so I know what works well here and what doesn't. Carolina Reapers are one of the worst to grow in my climate. Slow, fussy and quite cold sensitive. 

I have various Capsicum chinense, C. annuum, C. frutescens, and C. baccatum. All are alive; the lowest temperature was 29F in mid November (very unusual) and 30F in January. We've had a few frosts too. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

34 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I have various Capsicum chinense, C. annuum, C. frutescens, and C. baccatum. All are alive; the lowest temperature was 29F in mid November (very unusual) and 30F in January. We've had a few frosts too. 

The biggest difference with your climate is that your days generally warm up to 60F+, even after a night of 30F and frost. Your temperatures will always rebound during the day. Whereas in my location, come winter, I may get a night of 28F followed by a day that only reaches a high of 38-40F. That's what kills the peppers, if they aren't subjected to lows below 28F. It's the lack of daytime heat or warmup which is a real issue for me. 

All my outdoor peppers have died now, but some of them held on until early January. Which is very late in the year for my latitude (51N). As I said in my previous post, the Padron and Apache always last well into December for me, and in the case of this winter, January. But they will never survive the whole winter. The ones that do survive into January start getting damaged in November and certainly don't flower anymore. But maturing peppers will continue to ripen up and finish right up until January before the plant finally perishes. Unless of course we have an abnormally cold start to winter, and lows down to 25F, which is possible some years.

The peppers from the Andes and parts of Europe are the ones that survive the longest. The ones from central America, Mexico, Caribbean and Africa are always the first to die. I had Trinidad Perfume and Carolina Reapers outright die in late October last autumn, whereas my Apache's were still going strong in early January. Only to get killed off by a low of 22F in mid January.

I would have thought the 29F you got would still be enough to damage the foliage on a lot of the exotic, tropical species from central America/Mexico...? They usually encounter extreme damage at 31-32F when the foliage freezes and burns. My Trinidad perfumes were completely defoliated by 31F...

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Long term model ran this morning shows a change for the warmer starting Feb 22nd. A lot can change, but we'll see.

gfs_T850_namer_53.png

Edited by enigma99

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

I would have thought the 29F you got would still be enough to damage the foliage on a lot of the exotic, tropical species from central America/Mexico...? They usually encounter extreme damage at 31-32F when the foliage freezes and burns. My Trinidad perfumes were completely defoliated by 31F...

I have Aji Jobito (from coastal Venezuela) and Cumari do Para (northern Amazon) that still have ripening fruit as well as Aleppo, Lombok, and Brazilian Starfish. Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion still hanging on too.The plants themselves are pretty chlorotic and have lost most of their leaves. Twigs/branches are still very green though. Assuming we don't get a freak hard freeze, the plants should leaf out in a month or so.  I actually lost more peppers during the warm season, from bacterial spot. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

3 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Long term model ran this morning shows a change for the warmer starting Feb 22nd. A lot can change, but we'll see.

Fingers Crossed!

All I can say is wow... what a forecast. Even though the minimum lows are not enough to kill many of the palms you guys are growing up in the Pacific Northwest- when it becomes this prolonged, does it take a toll on them?

1919143217_Portland10dayfeb8.PNG.d6f64f438ae02665a31f118fd9cc1240.PNG

I may have record lows this Saturday morning. Predicting 10F. I took some time Friday evening to put some blankets on a few palms just in case. Hoping for 15F. Snow Friday, tonight, and early Saturday. It 8 pm and 34F, the snow has stopped for now.  This is one of the longest cold spells on record. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew92 said:

All I can say is wow... what a forecast. Even though the minimum lows are not enough to kill many of the palms you guys are growing up in the Pacific Northwest- when it becomes this prolonged, does it take a toll on them?

1919143217_Portland10dayfeb8.PNG.d6f64f438ae02665a31f118fd9cc1240.PNG

Ah man that’s brutal! I won’t complain about the weather anymore here in California 

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 8.07.04 PM.png

I thought highs in the 40s was crap until I saw what WA and OR are going through. Hopefully it will change. For me a high in the 40s is extremely rare, and doesn't happen every year. This is showing a bunch of them, if true. A little bit worried about some tropicals. 

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

I may have record lows this Saturday morning. Predicting 10F. I took some time Friday evening to put some blankets on a few palms just in case. Hoping for 15F. Snow Friday, tonight, and early Saturday. It 8 pm and 34F, the snow has stopped for now.  This is one of the longest cold spells on record. 

Woke up to 8" of snow with more snow today and then clear and very cold tonight and then more snow on Sunday. The hits just keep coming! LOL! Will take a picture or two once it daylight out. Good news the low was only 32F last night, tonight I think it will be 15F maybe colder or warmer. 

The snow just keeps coming down. 9" of snow now and a few more inches today, then another 10" by Tuesday. We're looking at record snow totals at least 20".  Temps are going to drop like a rock tonight with the airport looking at 8F-9F, hoping for 15F for me. Power is off all over the place. 

It is a winter wonderland. 

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Were back to the cold winter weather here now, highs in the 40s and 50s again. This past week it reached 77°F!

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

I thought I had it bad until i started following Seattle's weather.  Last night it rained until at least 2:30AM turning to wet heavy snow at some point.  Overnight low of 29 and tonight predicted to go to 25, with more snow on the way.  At this point no end in sight. I have no idea what I did to deserve this!  

Feb snow 1.jpg

Feb snow 2.jpg

Feb snow 3.jpg

Feb snow 4.jpg

• Like 2

I feel for you palm crazy and Chester b but at least you have the snow protection. Up here we had brutal arctic winds last night in Vancouver, BC. This prolonged blast is going to cause some palmageddon as the ground is rock solid and no snow to insulate.

2D1C07AD-CD8E-4FDE-A720-185280AD7C53.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southpacific73 said:

I feel for you palm crazy and Chester b but at least you have the snow protection. Up here we had brutal arctic winds last night in Vancouver, BC. This prolonged blast is going to cause some palmageddon as the ground is rock solid and no snow to insulate.

Oh man.  That's just awful.  I don't understand how we were having a stellar winter and then this right at the end.  As I type this we are in near whiteout conditions as the east wind has pushed in and has hit the moist air from the ocean.

So far the ground is not frozen.  We haven't been that cold yet, but not getting very warm either.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update and photos you guys. This is a weird but not unheard of a cold spell in February. Last time I got mega snow was in Feb. that was many years ago. The high today is only going to be 34F and then low 40's come middle next week. Sunny today with wind gust this afternoon. I need to get outside and protect my Bermuda palmetto and try to get one of my expose large Butia covered somehow. With temps going into the teens tonight I have to at least make some effort. LOL. Will be interesting to see what makes it and what doesn't come spring. 

Something to look forward to... Tuesday, 36F/32F with 5"- 8" of new snow, yippie, NOT FUNNY! 

Good luck to you all! 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 2

Lowest was 26f briefly. Winter appears to be leaving us soon and long term forecast looks promising. Now that winter is over, plants will get a break for a few months until the oven gets turned up 100f+ lol! 

6908F887-DE57-43C9-A85B-C52F46914FBC.png

• Like 2

^That forecast looks like April here. :rolleyes:

And it sounds messed up but I’m grateful that the PNW is bearing the brunt of the cold Canadian air and wintry conditions for once. The eastern 2/3rds of the US have had to suffer more than usual over the past several winters while the west has been warm.

Although we’ve had some cold, it’s been fleeting, and this has been the least snowiest winter I’ve personally experienced (knock on wood), barely more than a sparse coating of snow that quickly melted.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for all those suffering in the PNW.

I don’t mean to brag but NC is lookin pretty nice weather wise 6B667FCE-3A2B-425F-96DF-E3223028D26D.thumb.jpeg.ff0459cbb616fd0fe8bcce8468263737.jpeg

• Like 2

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Soak it in and be thankful you don't have to deal with this crap.  My weather should be mid 50's with around 40 overnight.  It was that way up until a week ago.

It seems as though the West coast rarely seems to get their worst cold during mid-winter. 

The NWS Seattle WFO webpage show the records for SeaTac from 2000-2019 as having the lowest temp during the 20 yr period as 14f in Dec 2008 and again in NOVEMBER 2010.

In 20 years of Januarys the lowest was only 19F. Same for all Februarys except that may be tied or broken this year.

In California and Arizona their biggest threat for cold seems to be around late Dec-early Jan and thats about it.

Around here, if it wasnt for the occasional arctic invasion in January, winter would almost be a misnomer.

Last night low was 20F, that is my lowest this winter. Only one Butia had fronds that broke due to heavy snow. 

Edited by Palm crazy

I hit 25F last night, which has been the coldest of the year.  Thankfully tonight's predicted low will be 33F.  I'm still concerned about all these days with high's in the 30's as I planted a ton of new plants last summer.  I think I should be ok as everything I planted should be ok here.  I'm only protecting a small tree fern and have the center of my butia wrapped to prevent moisture getting in and freezing, even though its experienced that a in previous years.

It does seem like we do routinely get warmer weather than Seattle so I am thankful for that.

We're still around 15F lower during the days and 10F lower at night than our averages.

image.thumb.png.805fc3abf97d5488d0c127080a405566.png

My forecast has moderated a lot. Still below normal but not as insane as it was. And now this popped up for Florida last night... let’s keep this trend going :D

gfs_T850_us_53.png

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

My forecast has moderated a lot. Still below normal but not as insane as it was. And now this popped up for Florida last night... let’s keep this trend going :D

Let's keep this trend going!

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

You realize that 850mb is ~ 5,000ft elevation correct? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RJ said:

You realize that 850mb is ~ 5,000ft elevation correct? 

Of course, but in the last couple of weeks, 850mb hasn’t been that cold beyond north Georgia or so. So for us on the west coast it is a promising trend

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Of course, but in the last couple of weeks, 850mb hasn’t been that cold beyond north Georgia or so. So for us on the west coast it is a promising trend

OKay cool. Just so follks who may not be savy on weather lingo I didn't want them to misunderstand the 850mb temp maps. You can have warmer air aloft and colder air below shown here, where 850 MB temps are nearly 50F

GFS Soundings.png

What a difference 12 hours make in the forecast!  Warm and rain overnight now.

image.thumb.png.bc8dec9f035213fcaaf90eb6723cd186.png

Been following this Pacific Northwest cold outbreak via Banana Joe's channel on Youtube. He has older videos of Canary Date palms on the mainland in Vancouver. Looks like some make it for a few years there, even 10+ but none long enough to really get some height on. Presume periods of weather like this current one are the reason.  Best of luck for this current test. Another 12 weeks or so and it will be us in the Southern Hemisphere's turn to start nervously watching the forecasts again for any likelihood of frosts/unusual cold.

So far. . . -22.5 C, windchill -40 or more....  

I really hate where I live sometimes.  At least the living room is green.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."