IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What was your lowest temperature this winter?

NC_Palms

Coldest low so far: 43.5F this morning. Predicted: 42F. Brief warmup on Wed. then another cold front Thurs.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

20190121_085301.thumb.jpg.4cc41f485988004a98a5634bb7d22deb.jpg

After last nights event we dropped from a zone 9A ultimate low of 21F to zone 8A with 10.7F. Area around us saw as low as 8F, thankfully even with the winds we were able to stay over 10...

The worst if it is the winds are desiccating..

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Low of 23.5F last night. Very concerned about the potted Phoenix's and the larger Washingtonia that I was unable to bring indoors. Hopefully their roots didn't freeze too bad. This winter on the whole hasn't been too bad, but I can't wait to see the back of it now. Roll on spring! 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 minute ago, UK_Palms said:

Low of 23.5F last night. Very concerned about the potted Phoenix's and the larger Washingtonia that I was unable to bring indoors. Hopefully their roots didn't freeze too bad. This winter on the whole hasn't been too bad, but I can't wait to see the back of it now. Roll on spring! 

Yeah we had a zone 9a winter til late last night. Im worried about my palms, but this is a "test" year. I have also come to the conclusion that my original plantation was horribly placed, but I was hopeful of them working out. We shall see in a few weeks when the dust settles I guess. But from here on Im focusing on my best microclimate and going to stick with rhapidophylum, sabal minors and yuccas on that cold side if I lose trachycarpus and chamaerops over there. 

Aside from January weather starting the winter has been inline with what I was used to as a kid. Mostly above 25F with a few dips. Hopefully the next cold snap isn't as bad...but its right around the corner.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Dropped down to 6°F this morning, I’m in hardiness zone 7b so I can’t complain as it is “normal”, although it’s far below average.

Went from an 8b winter (18°F) to 7b, I just hope we don’t dabble into 7a or lower this winter.

Edited by cm05

It got down to 16 degrees F here. Now we are at a colder zone 8b Winter. It is currently 23 outside... Ouch. All palms are green from what I can see now. No shriveled up fronds or anything. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Added Text

PalmTreeDude

7 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah we had a zone 9a winter til late last night. Im worried about my palms, but this is a "test" year. I have also come to the conclusion that my original plantation was horribly placed, but I was hopeful of them working out. We shall see in a few weeks when the dust settles I guess. But from here on Im focusing on my best microclimate and going to stick with rhapidophylum, sabal minors and yuccas on that cold side if I lose trachycarpus and chamaerops over there. 

Aside from January weather starting the winter has been inline with what I was used to as a kid. Mostly above 25F with a few dips. Hopefully the next cold snap isn't as bad...but its right around the corner.

Same issue this side of the Atlantic as well. I'm not sure about continental Europe as a whole, but UK's weather patterns at least seems to mimic those of eastern US seaboard. Probably due to the jet stream carrying it across the Atlantic to us. Much like you lot, we haven't really had a winter up until this weekend, with above average temperatures. But I have just endured my coldest 48 hours so far this winter, much like you lot have across the pond. A real bleak outlook as well for the next 2-3 weeks. Looks like the cold, winter cycle is locking in for the next few weeks now.

I am hearing whispers of an enormous polar freeze for North America and Europe in early February. Lots of climate models indicating it. If I have lows of 15F forecast, you can bet that means -5F for parts of eastern US. They're usually 20F colder than us during the most severe cold snaps in the northern hemisphere winter. Hopefully the models change between now and then. One of my own climate models is showing a low of 18F for me on 3rd Feb, with a low of -1F for NYC and -6F for Boston also on the 3rd. I expect that to change though, for the better hopefully. :unsure: 

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

12 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

20190121_085301.thumb.jpg.4cc41f485988004a98a5634bb7d22deb.jpg

After last nights event we dropped from a zone 9A ultimate low of 21F to zone 8A with 10.7F. Area around us saw as low as 8F, thankfully even with the winds we were able to stay over 10...

The worst if it is the winds are desiccating..

11 hours ago, cm05 said:

Dropped down to 6°F this morning, I’m in hardiness zone 7b so I can’t complain as it is “normal”, although it’s far below average.

Went from an 8b winter (18°F) to 7b, I just hope we don’t dabble into 7a or lower this winter.

11 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

It got down to 16 degrees F here. Now we are at a colder zone 8b Winter. It is currently 23 outside... Ouch. All palms are green from what I can see now. No shriveled up fronds or anything. 

28F here.

But I have to ask, what is the obsession with the North East Posters talking about what imaginary zone this winter they've had? Your zone is what it is for a reason, anything warmer than that was just a bonus. It's like me saying I've had a 10B week. It's just silly.  If you are zone pushing (which we all do), it's only a matter of time before nature has it's say, and those palms get fried. And people talking about freezing temps this morning but not showing any damage a "whole" 5 hours later, don't really understand how long real cell damage takes to materialize sometimes. Come back in June then we can talk about how wonderful your micro climate is.

• Upvote 1

Tonight’s low temperature is 18°F making it the coldest night of the year for me. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

1 hour ago, NorCalKing said:

28F here.

But I have to ask, what is the obsession with the North East Posters talking about what imaginary zone this winter they've had? Your zone is what it is for a reason, anything warmer than that was just a bonus. It's like me saying I've had a 10B week. It's just silly.  If you are zone pushing (which we all do), it's only a matter of time before nature has it's say, and those palms get fried. And people talking about freezing temps this morning but not showing any damage a "whole" 5 hours later, don't really understand how long real cell damage takes to materialize sometimes. Come back in June then we can talk about how wonderful your micro climate is.

The thing about the East Coast is that our zones don’t really hold up. So I would imagine we’re just comparing this winters temperatures with other past years. Like yeah I don’t live zone 8b or 7b but that doesn’t mean we can see below/above average winters. It’s all about comparison, at least for me. 

• Like 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

6 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Tonight’s low temperature is 18°F making it the coldest night of the year for me. 

25.3 This should be the bottom for us this morning. Coldest night for us as well. 

8 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

28F here.

This is my 3rd winter with exposed palms in the ground so I know a few things about zone pushing. Also zone 7 temps, despite being our hardiness zone, are extremely rare as in normally its every few years for us. But the last 2 winters have showed that can change. Before 2017/18 winter it had been since 2012 since we saw zone 7 temps and before that I cant remember the last time might have been the 80s... Point is alot of zone designations here are proved some years but most its rare to see our designation temps.

As for damage I don't need to wait till summer as the damage comes much sooner. Infact after that freak event last winter my chamaerops humilis and cerifera put out seed in april after cold had defoliated it for the first time. Growth or death is usually measured in march or april for us as that is when they start growing faster.

Here is a chamaerops humilis on my Northwest corner undamaged its first winter. That's a zone 8 palm thay saw 15f just a few months after a late plantation. 568.thumb.jpg.d8a93d79b4f29f30c745ed4400fcbf62.jpg

Here is after it saw single digit and teens for the record 2018 event. It pushed out the beginnings of seeds in early april after 90% defoliation. 

20180428_074250.thumb.jpg.aeae983a31444a5a88c13f0fea956569.jpg20180428_074240.thumb.jpg.cad697a105eb159ebb76c5c257a879c4.jpg

I could go some more but the point is I know my microclimate and while I'm always learning (and always will be) I have a pretty good idea of what my climate and microclimate is and Im sure the others north of Florida and California do too. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A couple of nights ago we had a surprise cold night at 31F it was only supposed to be 35F but at least it was short lived. Now back to warmer nights and rain with some clearing coming later this week and mild. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

28F here.

I wouldn’t call it an obsession, nor is it zone denial, it’s just that our winters are quite variable, we don’t have the same level of year to year consistency as the west coast. Winters range from zone 6b to zone 9a in a place like NYC (zone 7b). In fact, only 7 winters out of the last 20 have been true to zone in NYC, that’s roughly 1/3rd.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to state something along the lines of “last winter was an 8b winter” if the minimum temperature was 17°F and certain species went without artificial protection (and/or damage) that year.

Edited by cm05
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, cm05 said:

I wouldn’t call it an obsession, nor is it zone denial, it’s just that our winters are quite variable, we don’t have the same level of year to year consistency as the west coast. Winters range from zone 6b to zone 9a in a place like NYC (zone 7b). In fact, only 7 winters out of the last 20 have been true to zone in NYC, that’s roughly 1/3rd.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to state something along the lines of “last winter was an 8b winter” if the minimum temperature was 17°F and certain species went without artificial protection (and/or damage) that year.

I find this to be the case for alot of the east coast. Most years are above but every so often we are reminded of our zone, but outside of century freak events we dont go bellow our designation. My "location" is accurate in that most winters fall in the zone 8 range.

28F back in December one night.  One other night at 30F, so I'd say it's been below freezing 4-6 hours this year.  

December is historically the coldest month, with January being the next coldest.  Temperatures have been trending upward as we've long passed the halfway point of winter lows here.  Daytime highs in the mid 50's going forward.

Many spring bulbs have broken dormancy.  Daffodils should start flowering in the next week.  Daylilies have started growing again.

This has been a warmer than average winter and I am happy for it.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

The thing about the East Coast is that our zones don’t really hold up. So I would imagine we’re just comparing this winters temperatures with other past years. Like yeah I don’t live zone 8b or 7b but that doesn’t mean we can see below/above average winters. It’s all about comparison, at least for me. 

12 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

This is my 3rd winter with exposed palms in the ground so I know a few things about zone pushing. Also zone 7 temps, despite being our hardiness zone, are extremely rare as in normally its every few years for us. But the last 2 winters have showed that can change. Before 2017/18 winter it had been since 2012 since we saw zone 7 temps and before that I cant remember the last time might have been the 80s... Point is alot of zone designations here are proved some years but most its rare to see our designation temps.

As for damage I don't need to wait till summer as the damage comes much sooner. Infact after that freak event last winter my chamaerops humilis and cerifera put out seed in april after cold had defoliated it for the first time. Growth or death is usually measured in march or april for us as that is when they start growing faster.

Here is a chamaerops humilis on my Northwest corner undamaged its first winter. That's a zone 8 palm thay saw 15f just a few months after a late plantation. 568.thumb.jpg.d8a93d79b4f29f30c745ed4400fcbf62.jpg

Here is after it saw single digit and teens for the record 2018 event. It pushed out the beginnings of seeds in early april after 90% defoliation. 

20180428_074250.thumb.jpg.aeae983a31444a5a88c13f0fea956569.jpg20180428_074240.thumb.jpg.cad697a105eb159ebb76c5c257a879c4.jpg

I could go some more but the point is I know my microclimate and while I'm always learning (and always will be) I have a pretty good idea of what my climate and microclimate is and Im sure the others north of Florida and California do too. 

4 hours ago, cm05 said:

Makes sense. It just seemed odd so many quoting the "what if's?" of their zone. I'd still maintain real cell damage from extreme cold does not materialize within the first few hours most times. In fact I've had many brushes with frost that I thought I had escaped the brunt of, only to find out well into summer when a new spear deep within the palm finally push months later.

• Like 1

It got down to 12 degrees F here today. Everything I have seems to be fine so far, but I believe that my Butia will show some burn within the next week or so. 

Also about the zone things, I simply like to see when we truly get our zone 7 cold front every winter, I kind of use it as a way to keep personal records. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

On 1/22/2019 at 7:44 AM, mdsonofthesouth said:

Did you manage to get any seeds this year from those Chamaerops?

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On 1/19/2019 at 11:21 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

Here it comes... High of 28! All of my palms should be good though. I am more worried about my Spanish Moss and stuff like that, although it survived last Winter, which was a bad one. 

SmartSelect_20190119-232037_Weather.jpg

Last January I didn't notice any damage to Spanish moss in habitat but I did see a few leaf scares on the Sabal minors in habitat.

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

21 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

Last January I didn't notice any damage to Spanish moss in habitat but I did see a few leaf scares on the Sabal minors in habitat.

How cold did it get there? I have never seen a Sabal minor burn here, so that's pretty crazy that they burned in their habitat Any pictures of the damage (hoping it is not too bad). 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

31 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

How cold did it get there? I have never seen a Sabal minor burn here, so that's pretty crazy if they burned in their habitat? Any pictures of the damage (hoping it is not too bad). 

Last January for an entire week, the low was between 0ºF and 19ºF as the highs were below freezing besides one night that reached into to 40's. These temperatures wouldn't solely damage Sabal minors in habitat but prior to the cold front, the temperatures were way above average. So essentially the palms were still in growing mode when the cold front came. 

I only noticed damage to Sabal minors that were growing in wetlands. Sabal minors naturally growing in dryer sites were completely untouched. Besides the palms, everything was defoliated. Complete defoliation to wax myrtles, red bay, and live oaks. These palms in the photos had the worst damage but were growing in shallow water. Most of the Sabal minors only had scarring to the fronds. The damage was only aesthetic. Everything looked normal by the Spring. I wish I had photos to show of the Sabal minor last summer/spring when they were completely recovered, but I never had time to go back last Summer than Florence came and the trail STILL is closed from that.

I took these photos last March in Beaufort County, NC. The Beaufort/Belhaven area has reached to -10ºF before and it is the coldest place in NC outside of the mountains. Yet subtropical flora still continues to dominate. My theory is that the damage was so severe because of the warm December followed by a 100 year duration freeze. I don't want to get too political here, but I am crediting the Sabal minor damage to climate change 100%. 

I don't know if I should create a separate thread just to discuss last winter. There is so much more to discuss! lol

IMG_1107.thumb.JPG.10c736d076d7d084c79f6dd2af83dc6f.JPG IMG_1161.thumb.JPG.294c829a46101c20439c8d21aa64d1da.JPG

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

53 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

Last January for an entire week, the low was between 0ºF and 19ºF as the highs were below freezing besides one night that reached into to 40's. These temperatures wouldn't solely damage Sabal minors in habitat but prior to the cold front, the temperatures were way above average. So essentially the palms were still in growing mode when the cold front came. 

I only noticed damage to Sabal minors that were growing in wetlands. Sabal minors naturally growing in dryer sites were completely untouched. Besides the palms, everything was defoliated. Complete defoliation to wax myrtles, red bay, and live oaks. These palms in the photos had the worst damage but were growing in shallow water. Most of the Sabal minors only had scarring to the fronds. The damage was only aesthetic. Everything looked normal by the Spring. I wish I had photos to show of the Sabal minor last summer/spring when they were completely recovered, but I never had time to go back last Summer than Florence came and the trail STILL is closed from that.

I took these photos last March in Beaufort County, NC. The Beaufort/Belhaven area has reached to -10ºF before and it is the coldest place in NC outside of the mountains. Yet subtropical flora still continues to dominate. My theory is that the damage was so severe because of the warm December followed by a 100 year duration freeze. I don't want to get too political here, but I am crediting the Sabal minor damage to climate change 100%. 

I don't know if I should create a separate thread just to discuss last winter. There is so much more to discuss! lol

IMG_1107.thumb.JPG.10c736d076d7d084c79f6dd2af83dc6f.JPG IMG_1161.thumb.JPG.294c829a46101c20439c8d21aa64d1da.JPG

Wow, that's insane! At least the spears were all green along with a lot of the newest leaves. I guess having a sabal minor in 0 degrees in water will hurt it. Was this at a park? 

PalmTreeDude

22 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Wow, that's insane! At least the spears were all green along with a lot of the newest leaves. I guess having a sabal minor in 0 degrees in water will hurt it. Was this at a park? 

This was at Goose Creek State Park in Washington, NC. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

2 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Did you manage to get any seeds this year from those Chamaerops?

Nope damn slugs got to them and ruined my seed chances. If not I'd be trying to sow them for sure. Sadly might lose both chamaerops this year.20180529_081056.thumb.jpg.95c580873f2c4fcd2320f7f8b13a6a77.jpg

54 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Nope damn slugs got to them and ruined my seed chances. If not I'd be trying to sow them for sure. Sadly might lose both chamaerops this year.20180529_081056.thumb.jpg.95c580873f2c4fcd2320f7f8b13a6a77.jpg

Chamaerops are pretty hardy things. They are the second hardiest palm type in my garden after Trachycarpus. 

Mine have seen 12F with not a lot of damage. And they always bounce back. I have heard they can take 0F and be cut back to ground level, only to sprout back again. 

Did you have one male and one female Chamaerops to make seeds?

2 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Chamaerops are pretty hardy things. They are the second hardiest palm type in my garden after Trachycarpus. 

Mine have seen 12F with not a lot of damage. And they always bounce back. I have heard they can take 0F and be cut back to ground level, only to sprout back again. 

Did you have one male and one female Chamaerops to make seeds?

Mine have seen 8 to 9F and mostly defoliated with some spear pull last winter. Came back like a champ and even put off inflorecense right away. Sadly this last event caused spear pull on both my green and blue chamaerops with 30 hours bellow freezing after a low of 10.7F. A little surprised to be honest. H2O2 has and will continue to be applied in hopes it bounces back. But in all honesty I am seriously considering moving my trachycarpus and chamaerops from the NW corner to my eastern microclimate. Just don't know if I want to stress my palms with transplanting them, but the stark difference in temperature, ground freezes and sun are having me seriously consider the task. Would be 5 trachycarpus and 2 chamaerops so a weekends worth of work. But honestly Ill likely leave them be and just wait for the 7 to 15g trachycarpus to come into stock at stores and over plant on the east side.

I saw an estimated ~35F in the middle of December just NW of Orlando.  This last Monday morning 1/21/19 had 33-34F for about 4 hours, and the optical thermometer had leaf surface temperatures in the 29-30F range.  I had some frond burn on an Adonidia Merrilli triple with NW wind exposure, and some significant burn on a pair of Hyophorbe Verschaffeltii but no burn on 4x Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis in pots with very light shelter.  The Spindles were nearly dead when I planted them (they were almost free) and were still showing pretty bad potassium deficiency in November.  30% burn in Dec and 50-60% burn now, the potted Bottles are maybe 10% leaf tip burn.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I saw an estimated ~35F in the middle of December just NW of Orlando.  This last Monday morning 1/21/19 had 33-34F for about 4 hours, and the optical thermometer had leaf surface temperatures in the 29-30F range.  I had some frond burn on an Adonidia Merrilli triple with NW wind exposure, and some significant burn on a pair of Hyophorbe Verschaffeltii but no burn on 4x Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis in pots with very light shelter.  The Spindles were nearly dead when I planted them (they were almost free) and were still showing pretty bad potassium deficiency in November.  30% burn in Dec and 50-60% burn now, the potted Bottles are maybe 10% leaf tip burn.

That’s surprisingly cold, I guess you’re outside the Orlando heat island?

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

3 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

That’s surprisingly cold, I guess you’re outside the Orlando heat island?

Yep, just NW of the heat.  Many days I am ~4 degrees colder than the "official" temps per Weather.com or Wunderground.com.  It's great in the middle of summer, but not so great in January!  The "official" low was 35-36F on 1/21, so my yard was only 2-3 degrees cooler.  Likewise on 12/12/18 it was officially 36F, I'm just estimating it was around 35F in my yard.

Leaf surface temperature is always a bit colder without canopy due to radiative cooling...probably 2C or so less than ambient air temp.

Lowest temp. So far this winter was 25 F in Hesperia, CA zone 8b. In my yard, not sure. Perhaps a degree or 2 higher. On a side note,  I  drove through my city twice while check accu weather since 4:30 am  Hesperia was 40f when I woke up & has changed much since 7:00 am but while driving through my city  the temperature gauge in truck registered 46f along with the 2 temperature stations I pass in Hesperia &  Victorville!? Point is I desperately need a weather station at my house. Can't really trust the accu weather app for my city atleast. 

Tempts are looking pretty good here in so cal next 7 days. I wouldnt mind 25F low & walking away with a zone 9b winter :D fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

My coldest this winter was in December at 24F one degree warmer than last winter, and, January at 31F that's one degree warmer than last January.  I like this trend...:lol:

• Like 2

On 1/29/2019 at 3:08 PM, Palm crazy said:

My coldest this winter was in December at 24F one degree warmer than last winter, and, January at 31F that's one degree warmer than last January.  I like this trend...:lol:

Olympia showing a low of 17 Tuesday. Hopefully it will be better for where you’re at

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Olympia showing a low of 17 Tuesday. Hopefully it will be better for where you’re at

The airport is always colder but will have to see what happens locally.  Suppose to snow tonight and tomorrow 1"-3"  that will help moderate the temps, as long as it not clear at night I should be ok. Thanks for the heads up! If it does snow I will take a picture for you, LOL. 

Edited by Palm crazy

3 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

So far it got down to 10 degrees F here, but we are getting a nice break from the cold this week. 

SmartSelect_20190203-185655_Weather.jpg

Your break from the cold is allowing the west to get cold this week! Hope the pattern switches back soon :)

This is the warmest winter I can recall. It’s looking like 39f here and 41f in Sarasota will be the lows for me this winter.  

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Here in northwest Europe the winter has been warmer than average compared our standards. Only the last two weeks have been nasty cold but not US cold just around freezing point a lot of times, windy and rainy. Up till know I had 17 nights with the lowest right now have been -5.0C/23F. 
10 of those 17 nights where only a couple hours of freezing around sunrise and not below -1.0C/30F.

Short and long term looks much milder again and frostfree at night. If we don't get a late winter outbreak as last year I don't think I can really complain over here. 

• Like 1

Southwest