IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Three Encephalartos friderici-guilielmi

Marius

I love Freddies!  I just have one and it's kind of big for U.S.A plants.  Here it is after a flush but still soft leaves.

5c3a289dcb945_5-9-11005.thumb.JPG.dbc8b5

Plants the size of yours  are super rare here.  I only know of three or so in this country that size.  I think they perform so much better than lanatus.  My plant is only a 20-inch globe, but I'm really glad to have it!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

You have a beautiful specimen. I also love Freddies. I love that they are now sucking. My big trispinosus also started to sucker now

i guess it’s because it’s a SA native thatbigger plants are more available here 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marius said:

75FF916C-1E17-4512-8897-1F69FE70509C.jpeg

Very nice plants Marius :drool:!  It makes me want to grow one seeing how beautiful yours are.  All I need is more growing space :bummed: .

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Very nice plants Marius :drool:!  It makes me want to grow one seeing how beautiful yours are.  All I need is more growing space :bummed: .

Thanks Tracy. They are very rewarding and don’t take up that much space. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/7/2020 at 11:03 PM, Marius said:

new whorls & bonus pincushion flowering 

D8346848-2841-4905-8FB0-D8647D2553B1.jpeg

F4EDFED9-B238-4A3D-AE9F-743C6A3D8C55.jpeg

C9B10501-2FD2-4757-9F45-0354890B634C.jpeg

As growing season is just getting started in the southern hemisphere, we are winding down up here in the northern hemisphere.  We will be enjoying seeing the flushes as they continue pushing down there.  My most tender flush remaining right now got a little beat up with our first substantial winter storm.  It wasn't cold or rain that was the culprit, but the strong winds battering big soft and tall tender leaflets on my laurentianus flush.  Shorter leaved species like your Encephalartos frederici-giuliani had they been flushing here would have flown through the wind we had without a problem but the big central African species just don't like storms like we had.  One of my other late flushers were a pair of pups on an E nubimontanus which came through fine.

Back to your E f-g, do you know the sexes of each and if they have coned since you have had them, have you tried pollinating any females? 

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hi Tracy. Wind is seldom a problem for me with tender new leaves. Here it’s the risk of hail in summer. I have fortunately only had it twice in the five years I’ve lived here. 

Ive had these large E f-g’s for about four years now. None have coned. It remains a mystery. I’m hoping for both sexes. Fingers crossed 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/12/2019 at 8:47 PM, Marius said:

Thanks Tracy. They are very rewarding and don’t take up that much space. 

Hi Marius, wonderful plants. How wide do they tend to get?

They’re one of my all time favorites. I have a couple but still extremely small. I have had a difficult time tho. This one in a pot with perfect drainage and a premium custom blended soil has gone necrotic on numerous leaflets but not sure why. It’s about to throw up a small flush. Temps started recently getting hotter (80’s-90’s), and I water it every couple days. Any tips are well appreciated. 

Justin 

IMG_3507.jpeg

IMG_3506.jpeg

IMG_3505.jpeg

IMG_3504.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 10:37 PM, ExperimentalGrower said:

Hi Marius, wonderful plants. How wide do they tend to get?

They’re one of my all time favorites. I have a couple but still extremely small. I have had a difficult time tho. This one in a pot with perfect drainage and a premium custom blended soil has gone necrotic on numerous leaflets but not sure why. It’s about to throw up a small flush. Temps started recently getting hotter (80’s-90’s), and I water it every couple days. Any tips are well appreciated. 

Justin 

IMG_3507.jpeg

IMG_3506.jpeg

IMG_3505.jpeg

IMG_3504.jpeg

Hi Justin. I’m not that great with growing the babies either. I had ons years ago, but it just slowly died. I was lucky to get these big ones. They seem less finicky than the young ones. My big ones also have brown leaflets on some leaves. I’m not sure if that is a problem. 
I do know that they don’t need too much water. My one big one seems to be yellowing. I don’t know if it’s due to the higher than usual rainfall that we have had over the last couple of summers. I hope that it will be fine. They only produce a new flush every third year or so. 
I don’t know if any of this is helpful, but as I said. I’m not exactly an expert on growing E fg. The broad leaf ones are faster and easier to grow. 
regards

Marius

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, tinman10101 said:

the old leaves on mine tend to die off really fast once new leaves flush.  marius is correct, i only get a flush every 2-3 years.  

Ya was wondering about that. Might be part of what’s going on. I stopped watering which I was doing every 2-3 days because of heat and since it’s in a pot. After I stopped, the browning stopped so I suspect the two things may have been linked. I’m unsure of what summer conditions in situ are like and whether it’s hot in summer and if they ever get rain during the hot season.

I have just noticed that one is going to cone for the first time!  I’m very excited. There are 5 cones emerging and judging by the large cone scales I’m hoping that it is female. 

IMG_6021.jpeg

IMG_6022.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marius said:

I have just noticed that one is going to cone for the first time!  I’m very excited. There are 5 cones emerging and judging by the large cone scales I’m hoping that it is female. 

IMG_6021.jpeg

IMG_6022.jpeg

That’s a big deal, congrats! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2023 at 9:22 PM, Marius said:

IMG_6021.jpeg

IMG_6022.jpeg

Update: 

IMG_6399.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hi Guys. The Freddy on the left in the picture is worrying me. All its leaves just died. Dried out. I also saw resin / gum coming out of the trunk. That has now completely dried up. The trunk still feels hard. I’m hoping it will recover. 

IMG_6401.jpeg

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Marius said:

Hi Guys. The Freddy on the left in the picture is worrying me. All its leaves just died. Dried out. I also saw resin / gum coming out of the trunk. That has now completely dried up. The trunk still feels hard. I’m hoping it will recover. 

IMG_6401.jpeg

I hope it does too! Is the top of the caudex still firm?

2 hours ago, Marius said:

IMG_6401.jpeg

Marius,  Question for you……have you experienced a lot of rain recently by any chance? My Eugene was oozing from the caudex on various areas after we got a lot of abnormal consistent rain last winter. I wish I took pictures but did not. I was really worried about it and it looks fine now. Not exactly sure what happened and I did nothing but watch it for months. All good now. Other than that speculation, not sure what it could be. 

-dale 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billeb said:

Marius,  Question for you……have you experienced a lot of rain recently by any chance? My Eugene was oozing from the caudex on various areas after we got a lot of abnormal consistent rain last winter. I wish I took pictures but did not. I was really worried about it and it looks fine now. Not exactly sure what happened and I did nothing but watch it for months. All good now. Other than that speculation, not sure what it could be. 

-dale 

It’s typical for Encephalartos and Dioons to ooze like that after heavy consistent rain. Some of mine did this past winter. Not sure the biological mechanism of action but seems to be a way they slough off some excess water they absorb.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

I hope it does too! Is the top of the caudex still firm?

It seems to be. I continue checking on it. Fingers crossed. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Billeb said:

-dale 

Yes. We have had a lot of rain last summer. I wondered about that too but it is on a slope and most water should run off. Soil is clayish so maybe it could be that. I hope it recovers. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

It’s typical for Encephalartos and Dioons to ooze like that after heavy consistent rain. Some of mine did this past winter. Not sure the biological mechanism of action but seems to be a way they slough off some excess water they absorb.

Do they shed all leaves usually?

Do they shed all leaves usually?

I can’t say for certain but I believe I’ve heard from other growers they occasionally can do that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

I can’t say for certain but I believe I’ve heard from other growers they occasionally can do that.

Thanks. I hope that that is it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Female Cones Update. 

IMG_6512.jpeg

IMG_6477.jpeg

IMG_6476.jpeg

Looks very healthy. What is the overall width of the crown?

• Like 1