IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Recommendation for trunk wrap lights

Roxbury

I have a 70’ palm tree with mostly smooth trunk.  I want to wrap the trunk in mesh electric lights all the way up but all the lights I see available on-line have lousy reviews, such as not lasting very long or ugly in the daylight.

Anyone have a recommendation? My tree is being pruned next week and the bucket truck guy can put them up for me.

Thanks

I have some that have been up for about 10 years, they come on every night and some just lay on the ground, I walk on them. Very tough. 

You won't get them in time for the bucket truck guy, I have to get some pictures and then you will have to source them, but it will be worth it.

They are old tech LED's machine moldered onto two core black plastic coated wire. 12V, very low amps.

You don't notice them in the day.

Cheers Steve

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

This is the stuff that I recommend that you look for, it has thick wire about 30 strands.

The lights are not too close together, (which uses more power and is too bright).

If this is no longer available, forget the ebay specials and look up 'Commercial' lighting, that is what you need.

Cheers Steve

20190112_104858.thumb.jpg.3d08e798a9480a

20190112_104926.thumb.jpg.55c8ba06fcb0ac

and this is how it looks in the day,

20190112_104750.jpg.7bec80c8f811c6d102d3

Arguably they are ugly close up but in practice we don't notice them. 

20190112_104805.thumb.jpg.0b296d3fb0b887 

and the night.

PB140008.thumb.JPG.5108e88b7169c415010fd

PB140013.thumb.JPG.f4a8f8e1d0c7053790516

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your detailed reply!  I appreciate it!  The bucket truck guy put up a wire collar with a few hooks for me after the trim so I can pull up some lights when I find the right ones.  I’ve measured now with the help of the hooks and some twine that I need 25’ x 10’ of mesh/net lights.  Still haven’t been able to find anything commercially available that looks sturdy enough to last.  Hope I get more suggestions.

thank you.

This one has questionable merit, but very amusing. :D

download.jpg.3790cf0debf3d535e329cad2270318b9.jpg

Cheers Steve

• 4 weeks later...