IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenala madagascariensis germination

SilverDragon

I ordered some seeds of the Traveller's Tree from Seedman. Any tips on how to grow them? Are they similar to palms in their requirements for germination? Any help or advice is appreciated.

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

I have tried several time to germinate these seed with very poor results. Here is the germination suggestions from RPS who also sell the seed.

Seeds from this species ...

... are not rated.
I soaked the seeds overnight and planted them in boxes filled up with carbonized ricehull . The seeds situated 1cm deep kept moist in a sunny area. The heat coming from the ground play vital to seed germination approximately30C. Germination is noticeable in three weeks up to85%.
Submitted on 24/06/2008 by one of our visitors

... are easy to germinate and need up to 3 months to sprout.
I soaked the seeds and plant to a big vase and put it a germinater aquarium. The temperature was 30 Celsius degrees. The seeds didn't germinate after 3 months. I was very angry. BUT: I created 35 degrees at day and 24 degrees at night. Now the seeds are starting to germinate! The best way to germinate this plant: day 35 degrees and night 23-25 degrees!
Submitted on 15/03/2008 by Barna Bodo bodo.barna@enternet.hu

... are difficult to germinate and need up to 1 month to sprout.
Seeds bought at rarepalmseeds.com. Of 10 seeds only 3 germinated. Soaked for 7 days in tepid water. Placed in heated (30ºC/86ºF) propagator tray in moist peat.
Submitted on 29/03/2007 by Nuno Lopes nml@netcabo.pt

...difficult to germinate and need up to 3 months to sprout.
First germination after 16 days (!). In a little plastic zip bag, with simple, moist compost at a constant 25-30 C. Other 14 seeds still counting (> 6weeks).
Submitted on 25/02/2005 by Jasper Kuipers manonjasper@hetnet.nl

...very difficult to germinate and need up to 3 months to sprout.
I love these plant, and I can´t make germinate the ravenala seeds
Submitted on 02/08/2004 by martin martin_pls@yahoo.com.ar

No luck, of 24 seeds only 1 germinated. Soaked for 3 days in warm water. Placed in heated greenhouse tray in moist cocopeat. Sprayed with fungicided to moisten as needed. Not too much success however have heard others having great success with these seeds. Make sure you remove the blue outer layer before soaking seeds.
Submitted on 16/06/2004 by Cheri Wilson reaininrabt@aol.com

...easy to germinate and need up to 1 month to sprout.
Seeds are about 3/8" long, bright lapis-lazuli blue. 1st germination after about a month. Seedlings like heat, light and moisture and grow more rapidly than palms. Can survive surprisingly poor position in a dim window.
Submitted on 01/03/2003 by Steve Flynn sflynn22@mac.com

...easy to germinate and need up to 3 months to sprout.
i soaked the seeds for 1 day in water then put them in ziplock bags with a mixture of cocopeat and spagnum, then placed on top of my computerscreen and turnt everyday for optimal dampning of the moisture. after 40 days the first seed was germinating now after 60 days another 4 are germinated. i check the temprature of the grond it is 32 C° constand because i let my computer on night and day
Submitted on 22/11/2002 by jurgen smet jurgen.smet@pandora.be

...need up to 3 months to sprout.
I just planted some ravenala madagascariensis seeds , and they took 2 months to germinate. It was faster than I was expecting. I am really happy for that.
Submitted on 04/06/2002 by Ronald Zeledon rzgozono@racsa.co.cr

I soaked the 5 seeds for 2 days in a solution of weak fungicide then put them with soil into a sealed plastic bag. I kept the bag at summer room temperature (approx. 25°C).3/5 seeds germinated after respectively 10, 11 and 12 weeks.Seedlings have grown up to 3 leaves and died may be because these reasons :- room temperature decreased because of winter- air was to dry- spider mite attack
Submitted on 17/06/2002 by one of our visitors

Sorry for the unintended plagiarism...….

jimmyt

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

I have tried several time to germinate these seed with very poor results. Here is the germination suggestions from RPS who also sell the seed.

Seeds from this species ...

... are not rated.
I soaked the seeds overnight and planted them in boxes filled up with carbonized ricehull . The seeds situated 1cm deep kept moist in a sunny area. The heat coming from the ground play vital to seed germination approximately30C. Germination is noticeable in three weeks up to85%.
Submitted on 24/06/2008 by one of our visitors

... are easy to germinate and need up to 3 months to sprout.
I soaked the seeds and plant to a big vase and put it a germinater aquarium. The temperature was 30 Celsius degrees. The seeds didn't germinate after 3 months. I was very angry. BUT: I created 35 degrees at day and 24 degrees at night. Now the seeds are starting to germinate! The best way to germinate this plant: day 35 degrees and night 23-25 degrees!
Submitted on 15/03/2008 by Barna Bodo bodo.barna@enternet.hu

... are difficult to germinate and need up to 1 month to sprout.
Seeds bought at rarepalmseeds.com. Of 10 seeds only 3 germinated. Soaked for 7 days in tepid water. Placed in heated (30ºC/86ºF) propagator tray in moist peat.
Submitted on 29/03/2007 by Nuno Lopes nml@netcabo.pt

First germination after 16 days (!). In a little plastic zip bag, with simple, moist compost at a constant 25-30 C. Other 14 seeds still counting (> 6weeks).
Submitted on 25/02/2005 by Jasper Kuipers manonjasper@hetnet.nl

...very difficult to germinate and need up to 3 months to sprout.
I love these plant, and I can´t make germinate the ravenala seeds
Submitted on 02/08/2004 by martin martin_pls@yahoo.com.ar

No luck, of 24 seeds only 1 germinated. Soaked for 3 days in warm water. Placed in heated greenhouse tray in moist cocopeat. Sprayed with fungicided to moisten as needed. Not too much success however have heard others having great success with these seeds. Make sure you remove the blue outer layer before soaking seeds.
Submitted on 16/06/2004 by Cheri Wilson reaininrabt@aol.com

...easy to germinate and need up to 1 month to sprout.
Seeds are about 3/8" long, bright lapis-lazuli blue. 1st germination after about a month. Seedlings like heat, light and moisture and grow more rapidly than palms. Can survive surprisingly poor position in a dim window.
Submitted on 01/03/2003 by Steve Flynn sflynn22@mac.com

i soaked the seeds for 1 day in water then put them in ziplock bags with a mixture of cocopeat and spagnum, then placed on top of my computerscreen and turnt everyday for optimal dampning of the moisture. after 40 days the first seed was germinating now after 60 days another 4 are germinated. i check the temprature of the grond it is 32 C° constand because i let my computer on night and day
Submitted on 22/11/2002 by jurgen smet jurgen.smet@pandora.be

...need up to 3 months to sprout.
I just planted some ravenala madagascariensis seeds , and they took 2 months to germinate. It was faster than I was expecting. I am really happy for that.
Submitted on 04/06/2002 by Ronald Zeledon rzgozono@racsa.co.cr

I soaked the 5 seeds for 2 days in a solution of weak fungicide then put them with soil into a sealed plastic bag. I kept the bag at summer room temperature (approx. 25°C).3/5 seeds germinated after respectively 10, 11 and 12 weeks.Seedlings have grown up to 3 leaves and died may be because these reasons :- room temperature decreased because of winter- air was to dry- spider mite attack
Submitted on 17/06/2002 by one of our visitors

Sorry for the unintended plagiarism...….

jimmyt

Thanks for the info. I don't mind if germination rates are low, I just need one to survive lol.

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

• 1 year later...

You could buy diluted sulphuric acid used for car batteries. Dip the seed for 8 to 10 minutes into this then move to a container with luke warm water where it stays overnight for 1 night only in warm weather around 30 celcius is best. Then move to pots filled with just sand dipped half inch below soil surface, water regularly. Should get results in average of 3 weeks with around 75% germination.

Cheers