Sign in to follow this  
Xerarch

So Mild I Could Grow Palms in Northern Ohio

Xerarch

It was 57 degrees here in Northern Ohio today, January 8th. In fact we’ve only really had one cold streak so far this winter, it got down to about 18 degrees in December for the lowest so far. That means if I had planted a bunch of Sabal Palmetto in the summer they would still be doing great. I’ve been reading since mid December numerous articles and here on PT about a supposed polar vortex coming this year but it keeps getting pushed off and pushed off. I don’t even see anything that critical as far out as the forecast goes. I don’t believe for a second that we’ve already seen the worst of winter this year, but it’s got to come sometime. 

• Upvote 1

Matthew92

Yes, this current warming period is crazy! It's actually starting to get to me not having at least a semblance of winter temps. Still, much indication that the pattern will change around late Jan.

UK_Palms

You're not alone, it has been abnormally mild on our side of the Atlantic as well. Not quite as high as 57F, but we have had a lot of days around 45-50F and hardly any nights reach freezing. The coldest we have had here was 23F, but that was a one-off. The next coldest night was only 27F, but we have only had about 7-8 frosts in total so far this winter, most only dropping to 31-32F.

I have also seen all the fearmongering about a supposed 'polar vortex' for weeks now. Judging by my forecast, it won't be happening anytime soon, certainly not in January anyway. I fear February could be cold though as last year we had a mild start to winter as well, but right at the end of winter we got hit with our coldest weather in 20 years. Snow and lows down to 12F at the back end of February. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen again this year.

RedRabbit

I’ve been suprised by this winter too, it still hasn’t been below 40f here. 

Matthew92
11 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

You're not alone, it has been abnormally mild on our side of the Atlantic as well. Not quite as high as 57F, but we have had a lot of days around 45-50F and hardly any nights reach freezing. The coldest we have had here was 23F, but that was a one-off. The next coldest night was only 27F, but we have only had about 7-8 frosts in total so far this winter, most only dropping to 31-32F.

I have also seen all the fearmongering about a supposed 'polar vortex' for weeks now. Judging by my forecast, it won't be happening anytime soon, certainly not in January anyway. I fear February could be cold though as last year we had a mild start to winter as well, but right at the end of winter we got hit with our coldest weather in 20 years. Snow and lows down to 12F at the back end of February. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen again this year.

Well, the Mediterranean region has sure felt the effects of the Polar Vortex with the snow all the way into Italy and Crete- it just remains to be seen how much the lobe over North America may affect the US.

Xerarch
2 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Well, the Mediterranean region has sure felt the effects of the Polar Vortex with the snow all the way into Italy and Crete- it just remains to be seen how much the lobe over North America may affect the US.

Western US has been pretty cold, lots of posts from California on the forum telling of low temps, just hasn’t hit here yet. 

Chester B
3 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Western US has been pretty cold, lots of posts from California on the forum telling of low temps, just hasn’t hit here yet. 

Maybe in California but in the PNW it's been very mild.  There have been two nights so far that we've dipped below freezing, with the coldest night dropping to 28F, and those were the only nights we experienced frost.  In addition there have been maybe 3 or 4 days where we didn't reach 40F, with average daytime highs this winter being between 45-50F.  I would estimate total time below freezing this year would be in the range of 4-5 hours.  We're in the final stages of our winter as late January we start warming up again, and so far the trend looks like it's going to hold.  We were predicted to have a slightly warmer and drier winter this year and so far (fortunately) they have been correct.

PalmatierMeg

Been almost scary mild here too. Lowest so far has been 46.8F. The statistical "peak" (nadir?) of winter in Cape Coral is today (Jan. 10). Average temps should start rising again by the end of the month. Weather gurus predicted a "cooler, wetter winter", although cooler doesn't necessarily mean bitter cold. And Dec. fell into that pattern with much higher rain and a period of temps ranging from upper 60s to upper 40s. But around New Year's we went back into a pattern of 80+F and 60s. Yesterday another cold front moved in (60s/40s) but that is expected to be short lived. Another few weeks and chances of lows in the 30s start to decline.

• Upvote 1

SilverDragon

I agree, the worst is yet to come for us here in the Buckeye State, but it is back to the 20's and 30's during the day now.

Nj Palms

Don't get too comfy with these temps. The pattern is almost completed changing. Frigid arctic fronts should start coming down after the 20th. Get any palm covering supplies now!

gfs_T2m_us_44.png

• Upvote 1

GottmitAlex
5 hours ago, SilverDragon said:

I agree, the worst is yet to come for us here in the Buckeye State, but it is back to the 20's and 30's during the day now.

For us, the worst, usually, is late December to late January. February highs can hit 70's  and 80's.  Lows aren't that nice, however,  nothing below 45F.

• Like 1

Xerarch
1 hour ago, Nj Palms said:

Don't get too comfy with these temps. The pattern is almost completed changing. Frigid arctic fronts should start coming down after the 20th. Get any palm covering supplies now!

gfs_T2m_us_44.png

Yeah the forecast has changed a lot just recently, looks like it will break my so far this winter record of 18 F, but still only down into the low teens thus far in the forecast. Giving me a chance at 8a for the winter if things don’t continue to go down hill. 

Nj Palms

This would be BAD for Ohio palm lovers. Not saying it will happen since it is still far out but something to keep an eye on.

gfs_T2m_neus_52.png

Xerarch

Well I don’t have anything tender outside so it can get as cold as it wants. Besides, the more cold it gets the more I will want to expedite plans to move to a warmer climate. 

UK_Palms

-10F is insane! I even see a -13F forecast there in Ohio. Surely it won't get that cold. That is -25C.

Even the toughest Trachycarpus's would get annihilated by that. Fortunei usually defoliates at 0F (-17C) and outright dies at -10F (-23C) and thats mature specimens. Smaller Fortunei can kick the bucket at 5F (-15C).

enigma99
23 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

-10F is insane! I even see a -13F forecast there in Ohio. Surely it won't get that cold. That is -25C.

Even the toughest Trachycarpus's would get annihilated by that. Fortunei usually defoliates at 0F (-17C) and outright dies at -10F (-23C) and thats mature specimens. Smaller Fortunei can kick the bucket at 5F (-15C).

I think the forecast shows -4F actually, which is about right for a winter low there. Actually looks like Akron is warmer than most of the other areas. Do the lakes moderate the temps coming down from the arctic?

UK_Palms
4 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

I think the forecast shows -4F actually, which is about right for a winter low there. Actually looks like Akron is warmer than most of the other areas. Do the lakes moderate the temps coming down from the arctic?

-4F for your area. But around Columbus it is going to be down to -13F. 

And yeah, any large body of water is going to moderate temperature, especially oceans/seas. The water retains heat better and for longer than the air does, and the water obviously releases the heat. So if you get down to 0F, the lake temperature might still be 30F which offers a warming affect to its surroundings. Which is why places far away from bodies of water get much colder in winter, because they don't benefit from that effect. 

I am 35 miles inland and might get a low of 20F (-6C) once or twice a year. But 45 minutes away from me, on the south coast, it won't drop below 30F (-1C) due to the sea moderating the temperature. But then in summer it does the exact opposite and keeps places near to bodies of water cooler. I might see 90F here, but the south coast only reaches 75F. So it goes both ways. 

Xerarch

Nothing in the actual forecast shows anything near as cold as that map shows yet. The coldest in the 15 day outlook is 10 F right now. Not abnormal for here, we should have already been that cold before this time. Temps below 0 F could be expected any winter by nothing in the forecast yet for that. 

sandgroper

Wow! I'll never complain about winter in Perth again. 

PalmTreeDude

Lowest it has gotten here this Winter so far is 21°F. All palms are still completely green and grow a bit when we get some warmer days. I am not going to complain. 

cm05

Lowest here was 15°F, and that was back in November (unusually early). No lows below 20°F in the forecast, though the high temperatures look mostly below normal.

We also haven't had measurable snow since November.

Xerarch
On 1/12/2019, 5:21:48, sandgroper said:

Wow! I'll never complain about winter in Perth again. 

Yeah as far as we would reckon it Perth has no winters. I think your records around town are maybe just below freezing. 

sandgroper
22 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

Yeah as far as we would reckon it Perth has no winters. I think your records around town are maybe just below freezing. 

Thats about right, we have relatively comfortable winters here by comparison to many other places. I wear shorts all year round, some mornings are pretty cool but not cold enough to stop me wearing shorts. (I only own one pair of long pants but am going to buy some more)

Edited by sandgroper

pin38

Lowest yet in my area is about 15 F. It looks like we have a chance at dipping lower next weekend, but it's been very mild for the kc metro so far.

Xerarch

Well I knew that making this post would hasten the inevitable arrival of normal winter temps. It’s currently 2 degrees F out right now, -17 C. Headed for minus 1 or 2 F tonight. About 15 inches of snow fell over the weekend. Kids had a blast playing in it, might as well make the best of if you have it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GottmitAlex
53 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

Well I knew that making this post would hasten the inevitable arrival of normal winter temps. It’s currently 2 degrees F out right now, -17 C. Headed for minus 1 or 2 F tonight. About 15 inches of snow fell over the weekend. Kids had a blast playing in it, might as well make the best of if you have it.  

Carpe diem.