Sign in to follow this  
Manalto

Finally! A Needle Palm

Allen

Wish I could find a needle to buy this good.  Nice find!

climate change virginia
46 minutes ago, Palm Lord said:

Can you hybridize needle Palm with Sabal minor

no two different spp

GregVirginia7
On 1/9/2019 at 8:18 AM, Manalto said:

Do they prefer sun or shade - or does it matter? More than once I've heard people say that they're not as slow-growing as their reputation would have you believe. Years ago, I inquired about a seedling that I was hoping to grow in Connecticut. The seller said, "It's a good palm for your grandchildren to enjoy in their old age." It's a pretty good line (I suspect this wasn't the first time he'd used it.) and that might be true in the cooler climates, but I've seen a few along the Gulf Coast that are considerably taller than me.

My larger one is mostly full sun and In a somewhat wet situation...growth rate seems pretty fast given good moisture and sun...

88728374-1B72-4BC1-B6D3-9A3EF64D7B46.thumb.jpeg.6448c199f7a66d60dfbba8cf59c751a9.jpegThe other is mostly shaded by holly trees and remains small but growing, protected and happy...

64E233A3-B4F1-4075-BDD0-87DCC0257719.thumb.jpeg.70cd148b50b4e5220ab97429e947ee44.jpegGreat to hear such southern excitement for a palm that, in my zone anyway, has excellent cold tolerance and minimum care. You definitely won’t have to worry about any stray polar vortex invasions from the north with your Needle.

• Like 3

Lazyk

Hello,

What are some sources for the Needle Palm?

Thank you,

Elaine Kavanagh

Zone 5B

Palms and Pines

Here’s a nice needle palm growing wild at Florida caverns state park

0E4133A3-A5B3-4605-9542-468B711AF6C7.jpeg

• Like 1

teddytn

@Manalto how’s your needle palm looking these days?

Manalto
4 hours ago, teddytn said:

@Manalto how’s your needle palm looking these days?

It's doing nicely, thanks. It's steadily producing healthy-looking fronds and is almost 6' tall now. It gets some shade for an hour or two in the middle of the day.

20220627_122734.thumb.jpg.af2c37f2225f57ee1397ae892026690c.jpg

An unlabeled (pale orange) brugmansia cultivar is to the left; behind it is a loquat.

• Like 2

teddytn
2 hours ago, Manalto said:

It's doing nicely, thanks. It's steadily producing healthy-looking fronds and is almost 6' tall now. It gets some shade for an hour or two in the middle of the day.

20220627_122734.thumb.jpg.af2c37f2225f57ee1397ae892026690c.jpg

An unlabeled (pale orange) brugmansia cultivar is to the left; behind it is a loquat.

I remember we talked about the color on my needle last year, the color on yours looks great!! Good grouping of plants also :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Manalto
4 hours ago, teddytn said:

I remember we talked about the color on my needle last year, the color on yours looks great!! Good grouping of plants also :greenthumb:

Thank you. It seems to be doing well in this location.  I like to have lots of deep green foliage to create a lush ambiance. It also works well as a background for blooming plants - it really makes them pop.

Brugmansia is a dieback perennial in this climate, which keeps its size nicely in check. To the right and not yet big enough to be visible in this photo are some volunteer tithonia (Mexican Sunflower) which will soon reach 7-8 feet tall and screen my neighbor's house from view.  I don't see it used much, but always find seeds for it on the rack at the big-box stores. The pollinators flock to it.

• Like 1