IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Finally! A Needle Palm

Manalto

Wish I could find a needle to buy this good.  Nice find!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 2 years later...
46 minutes ago, Palm Lord said:

Can you hybridize needle Palm with Sabal minor

no two different spp

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 1/9/2019 at 8:18 AM, Manalto said:

Do they prefer sun or shade - or does it matter? More than once I've heard people say that they're not as slow-growing as their reputation would have you believe. Years ago, I inquired about a seedling that I was hoping to grow in Connecticut. The seller said, "It's a good palm for your grandchildren to enjoy in their old age." It's a pretty good line (I suspect this wasn't the first time he'd used it.) and that might be true in the cooler climates, but I've seen a few along the Gulf Coast that are considerably taller than me.

My larger one is mostly full sun and In a somewhat wet situation...growth rate seems pretty fast given good moisture and sun...

88728374-1B72-4BC1-B6D3-9A3EF64D7B46.thumb.jpeg.6448c199f7a66d60dfbba8cf59c751a9.jpegThe other is mostly shaded by holly trees and remains small but growing, protected and happy...

64E233A3-B4F1-4075-BDD0-87DCC0257719.thumb.jpeg.70cd148b50b4e5220ab97429e947ee44.jpegGreat to hear such southern excitement for a palm that, in my zone anyway, has excellent cold tolerance and minimum care. You definitely won’t have to worry about any stray polar vortex invasions from the north with your Needle.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, teddytn said:

@Manalto how’s your needle palm looking these days?

It's doing nicely, thanks. It's steadily producing healthy-looking fronds and is almost 6' tall now. It gets some shade for an hour or two in the middle of the day.

20220627_122734.thumb.jpg.af2c37f2225f57ee1397ae892026690c.jpg

An unlabeled (pale orange) brugmansia cultivar is to the left; behind it is a loquat.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Manalto said:

It's doing nicely, thanks. It's steadily producing healthy-looking fronds and is almost 6' tall now. It gets some shade for an hour or two in the middle of the day.

20220627_122734.thumb.jpg.af2c37f2225f57ee1397ae892026690c.jpg

An unlabeled (pale orange) brugmansia cultivar is to the left; behind it is a loquat.

I remember we talked about the color on my needle last year, the color on yours looks great!! Good grouping of plants also :greenthumb:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teddytn said:

I remember we talked about the color on my needle last year, the color on yours looks great!! Good grouping of plants also :greenthumb:

Thank you. It seems to be doing well in this location.  I like to have lots of deep green foliage to create a lush ambiance. It also works well as a background for blooming plants - it really makes them pop.

Brugmansia is a dieback perennial in this climate, which keeps its size nicely in check. To the right and not yet big enough to be visible in this photo are some volunteer tithonia (Mexican Sunflower) which will soon reach 7-8 feet tall and screen my neighbor's house from view.  I don't see it used much, but always find seeds for it on the rack at the big-box stores. The pollinators flock to it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here it is a year later. We're having an extended drought and high (for here) temperatures over 100. I've been watering like mad, and, while giving this one a drink, noticed it's sending up a couple of nice, healthy fronds. I suspect, like sabals, it likes the heat if it gets adequate water. It's taller than me now.

20230823_175855.thumb.jpg.605760d625d7236f8971087eb43ac90e.jpg

The loquat is intruding but I don't mind. When it gets a little bigger, I'll limb it up.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:53 PM, Manalto said:

Here it is a year later. We're having an extended drought and high (for here) temperatures over 100. I've been watering like mad, and, while giving this one a drink, noticed it's sending up a couple of nice, healthy fronds. I suspect, like sabals, it likes the heat if it gets adequate water. It's taller than me now.

20230823_175855.thumb.jpg.605760d625d7236f8971087eb43ac90e.jpg

The loquat is intruding but I don't mind. When it gets a little bigger, I'll limb it up.

Looks really good! I’m growing two, one in dry shade under a large holly tree and the other in much wetter full sun…they do well in both settings but of course, the sunny wetter one is 3 times the size of the shady dry one. You picked a good one there…in time, you’ll even get a bit of a trunk…

Here’s the shady one:

image.thumb.jpg.399e8667f0689472c1e706f59555bb80.jpg

Heres’s the sunny one:

image.thumb.jpg.e81df93c2741f675f0e2ee16fd758013.jpg

Here’s the trunk on sunny…there are actually four clumping trunks on this one:

image.thumb.jpg.7912fa3b1428e893a5bc2b7a457698e4.jpg

Nice to see a shared northern and southern cold hardy palm species success! And the Needle is a great, mostly unprotected palm for us up here…

image.jpg

• Like 4

Just noticed I responded to this when it got posted so there are some comparison pics as well…amazing how fast these palms grow…

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

... You picked a good one there…in time, you’ll even get a bit of a trunk…

Here’s the shady one:

image.thumb.jpg.399e8667f0689472c1e706f59555bb80.jpg

Heres’s the sunny one:

image.thumb.jpg.e81df93c2741f675f0e2ee16fd758013.jpg

I like the deeper green of both of yours. Do you fertilize? Mine may be a little drought stressed despite all my hand watering. Nothing beats a good thunderstorm.

It does have a stubby bit of trunk that may even have gotten a little larger. I don't think of this palm as having a visible trunk, just that magnificent mass of foliage.

BTW, that agave (?) looks great in the turquoise pot - nice harmonious color combination.

Edited by Manalto

4 hours ago, Manalto said:

I like the deeper green of both of yours. Do you fertilize? Mine may be a little drought stressed despite all my hand watering. Nothing beats a good thunderstorm.

It does have a stubby bit of trunk that may even have gotten a little larger. I don't think of this palm as having a visible trunk, just that magnificent mass of foliage.

BTW, that agave (?) looks great in the turquoise pot - nice harmonious color combination.

Thank you…I do fertilize with Palm Gain…I only water when things dry out. The shady one definitely needs extra water given its location…very little rain seems to make it to the ground so I do monitor that…the sunny one gets rain and runoff…the basjoo banana beside it is the monitor…if it looks stressed, I give the whole zone a slow flow from the rain barrel…I do want to expose a bit of the trunks with the sunny one…they are at least 12” and I know this is a clumping, bushy palm, however…my zone has to get trunking palms where it can…the Agave Ovatifolia has been a great compliment to the palms, especially the Brazoria adjacent to it…the Brazoria shows some blue as well so they really look good together…and by the way, Ovatifolia is extraordinarily cold hardy…this one is in a pot with just some burlap to cover it if it gets in the single digits…it seems to tolerate a bit less than full sun but maybe 6 hours…you can’t go wrong with the Needle!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Thank you…I do fertilize with Palm Gain…I only water when things dry out. The shady one definitely needs extra water given its location…very little rain seems to make it to the ground so I do monitor that…the sunny one gets rain and runoff…the basjoo banana beside it is the monitor…if it looks stressed, I give the whole zone a slow flow from the rain barrel…I do want to expose a bit of the trunks with the sunny one…they are at least 12” and I know this is a clumping, bushy palm, however…my zone has to get trunking palms where it can…the Agave Ovatifolia has been a great compliment to the palms, especially the Brazoria adjacent to it…the Brazoria shows some blue as well so they really look good together…and by the way, Ovatifolia is extraordinarily cold hardy…this one is in a pot with just some burlap to cover it if it gets in the single digits…it seems to tolerate a bit less than full sun but maybe 6 hours…you can’t go wrong with the Needle!

Here’s a picture of the Brazoria behind the Ovatifolia…it carries a more bluish grey cast to it…really like the way they pair…Brazoria is making a recovery from last winter’s sudden single digit blast.image.thumb.jpg.130b21abb92a7faf6deca3ebb51ad2bd.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Update: 5 years on, the needle is taller than me, full and happy under the live oak and loquat trees. It gets about half a day of sun.

20240209_085502.thumb.jpg.6778322315788890012667b4a17eebf0.jpg

• Like 8

I am unfamiliar with this palm . It kind of reminds me of my Rhapis palm . Slow growing and clumping. Of course Rhapis palms like shade but the look is similar to me but these take sun. I could plant one on my south facing hil if I ever see one for sale around here in Southern California , or maybe they don’t do well in 10a? We have a very arid climate here so I’m not sure . 

1 hour ago, Harry’s Palms said:

...maybe they don’t do well in 10a? We have a very arid climate here so I’m not sure . 

In a previous post, Palmatier Meg talked about her needle palm in zone 10 (11) Florida. It seems that conditions there aren't ideal, despite the fact that it gets ample water and humidity. As she mentioned, the alkaline conditions may be inhospitable to Rhapidophyllum, which, I suspect, would also be an issue in Southern California, along with the aridity. 

You're fortunate to have the proper conditions for Rhapis; here, it gets knocked back every couple of years by 8B temperatures. When I grew it in the dry Rio Grande Valley, it thrived on only roof runoff.

Here's mine in Mobile this morning, showing its winter damage. (I had covered it with a thick cotton mattress pad.) It'll recover, but it'll get smacked down again, I'm afraid.

20240209_114535.thumb.jpg.64718cb05e1f20623f76e257e8736a1f.jpg

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 1