IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Please ID my cycad...

metalfan

I think its a Zamia. But I lost the tag and can't remember what it is. It has very long thin stems (between 3-4 feet) and the leaves are very very small, only about an inch-1 1/2 inch long, up the length of the stem, teardrop shape

IMG_2380.JPG

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

On 1/6/2019, 5:48:58, metalfan said:

I think its a Zamia. But I lost the tag and can't remember what it is. It has very long thin stems (between 3-4 feet) and the leaves are very very small, only about an inch-1 1/2 inch long, up the length of the stem, teardrop shape

It definitely looks like a Zamia.  Can you show a photo of the caudex and then one of the entire plant?  Is it a young seedling or something yo have been growing for several years.  Fast growing/slow growing, how many leaves (not leaflets) does it typically hold and a look at the caudex will help people who know their Zamia's to identify it.  The glare on the leaflets makes it hard to tell if they are a thick leaflet like a Z furfuracea or a more delicate leaflet like Z picta so you might want to share that as well.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

This is an old plant. Years old. But I moved it from the place it was growing to a container because it was getting hidden by other stuff. It finally recovered. Here is a better photo It is very tall, slender and graceful. Not a cardboard palm. Not Z Picta (I also have that one)

IMG_3094.jpg

• Upvote 1

Its so small in number of stalks because I planted some outside to trial it and see if it was hardy

56 minutes ago, metalfan said:

It is very tall, slender and graceful.

I can't id it, but it looks like an attractive Zamia.  The new photo better shows how delicate it's structure is and should help a better qualified person id it.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Aussiearoids you da bomb...but that is close not the cigar! In looking at the PASCOA page on Zamia, I realized when I saw it written that the one I have is Zamia TUERCKHEIMII! I distinctly recall that name now that I have seen it and a photo of my plant on that site!!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!!!