IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yard in the winter SE Georgia

GaDawg

Excuse the quality, I’m trying to get ready for my girls 16th birthday party. But I wanted to take some quick pictures of the yard at the beginning of January. Plants haven’t been affected to badly this winter. Our winters are usually mild, with the occasional dip into the high teens (18-19f) every 5-6 years. Maybe I can load a few of the pictures. Last time I couldn’t for some reason. 

D1EE9053-95A0-4967-93DA-6B981F030AFF.jpeg

• Upvote 5

Mule palm I bought for $200 from a guy in St. John’s, Florida. He was going to throw it away. Hopefully it will do better this year; I just planted it last May, I believe. 

A92E0678-ECE2-433F-91CF-A90C70535668.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Is that a bird of paradise in the first photo? I just planted one today in my garden

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

2 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Is that a bird of paradise in the first photo? I just planted one today in my garden

Yeah. This is its second year. Last year it died back partially from the freak winter storm the SE experienced. I think you’ll enjoy it. I like them much better than banana trees. 

1 hour ago, GaDawg said:

Yeah. This is its second year. Last year it died back partially from the freak winter storm the SE experienced. I think you’ll enjoy it. I like them much better than banana trees. 

They are pretty hardy. They usually die back to the ground here but come back up in the spring. Someone was growing bird of paradise in Raleigh as a dieback perennial, which gave me the idea to plant one.  

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

@GaDawg Wonderful plants!  Your yard wouldn't look out of place here in interior Central Florida.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Those are some very mature tropical-looking specimens! Have you been growing these for years? 

Just curious, what is that tree in the 3rd pic? And is that a phoenix in the 5th? What kind?

Very impressive, thanks for sharing!

~ S

5 hours ago, Swolte said:

Just curious, what is that tree in the 3rd pic? 

~ S

My hunch is it's a water oak. (Q. Nigra)

5 hours ago, RJ said:

My hunch is it's a water oak. (Q. Nigra)

Thanks, does look like it! Now to find a way to grow that spanish moss! 
;)

On 1/6/2019, 12:47:54, Swolte said:

Those are some very mature tropical-looking specimens! Have you been growing these for years? 

Just curious, what is that tree in the 3rd pic? And is that a phoenix in the 5th? What kind?

~ S

It’s a Laurel Oak- looks similar to a Live Oak, but grows a lot faster and isn’t as strong. It’s a short lived tree. 

The Phoenix is a Sylvester. It’s been in the ground for 3 years. It started out as a 3 gallon plant. 

On 1/6/2019, 12:47:54, Swolte said:

~ S

I planted the European palm, the mule palm, sago and the Chinese. I bought the mule palm last year in Jacksonville, the European from Ocala for $150 and the sago’s down the raid for $25-  a steal for all of them! 

The Pindo palm was planted on the property in the 1930’s. 

Edited by GaDawg