IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pink Balls are in my yard!

mike-coral gables

Fragrant Pink Balls have returned !Dombeya wallichii , one of my favs are just popping out , really cool plant , highly recommend for z 9b or warmer z 9a protected areas.  Does best with bright eastern exposure /late afternoon western exposure, well drained, fertile soil.

9F3DC420-9E47-4DC2-A76C-44FD183E0788.jpeg

F54A8068-3594-4172-9F36-021389E6BD5E.jpeg

• Upvote 4

There is a high-end nursery called Upland Nursery that has this tree.  It is quite spectacular when you see it in bloom.

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Mine has just finished blooming. I have it growing on a berm so that I can see it from below.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Are you growing Dombeya burgessiae 'Seminole'? It grows well up here too. Its a good plant to attract pollinating bees.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Yes , several plants they have been blooming for several weeks now, and your rights , bees everywhere ! 

My Dombeya Seminole is blooming, too. Flowers are darker pink. I believe Dombeyas are nicknamed "tropical hydrangeas" because of their flowers' arrangement to the unrelated true Hydrangeas sold around here as annuals. True Hydrangeas are northern plants that can't survive long term this far south.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg ,they do resemble northern hydrangeas .  I have had some success with northern hydrangeas here in Mt Dora ( maybe cool enough for longer term success than where you are). I tried to have them in Miami and they fried .

9030367B-4094-4625-B369-323CAB1F96E9.jpeg

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone, I have two Dombeya wallichii's of which I've gotten from Logee's, one of them I put in the ground (I live here in Casa Grande/Cooledge area) a couple of week ago, along with a few pygmy date palms as well too. I've thought about planting a Tabernaemontana coronaria plenary which is supposed to be a bit more hardier than the Tabernaemontana divaricata is supposed to be better suited for zone 10+ so if I could get more information about the plants I just mentioned about as if they'll do well here in the Casa Grande/Cooledge area and get a better idea of if I'm in zone 8b, or zone 9a-9b??? I'm Thinking if my zone is 9a then I guess my Tabernaemontana coronaria (butterfly gardenia as it's known) should be okay then. As about my Dombeya, I'm very hopeful being it won't succumb to leaf burning and heat stressor summers here like it would in Phoenix, and areas like it due to our nights during the summer are somewhat cooler, but not that much like the Phoenix Valley areas; as you can understand my situation with the plants I have. Any, and all advice would be greatly appreciated,  thank you all; and happy gardening.