IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silver Bismarckia Nobilis seeds starting to germinate.

DUNDEE

Last offering of Bismarckia seeds before I pot them up, some of this batch of seeds have started to germinate so I cant hold them any longer, very viable Silver Bismarckia Nobilis, 50 seeds ,will ship to the US for $27 U.S dollars,  including shipping.

PM for interest

P1030463.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/2/2019 at 3:22 PM, CTho said:

Seeds arrived and look great - thanks!

30 or 31 have germinated, and as of few days ago there’s green!

87F98261-26A9-4CF9-83C6-D5E0FFB7F955.jpeg

Edited by CTho
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They are off a silver tree and i only have silver trees on my remote property, if they look green now its just a cultural thing, perhaps nutrients or temperature affecting them, they will silver up with time. 

On 5/20/2019 at 12:17 PM, DUNDEE said:

They are off a silver tree and i only have silver trees on my remote property, if they look green now its just a cultural thing, perhaps nutrients or temperature affecting them, they will silver up with time. 

Oh, I did not mean they’re not silver - I just meant I had leaves above the soil :).  They look very silver (despite what it looks like in that photo)!  Thank you for the wonderful seeds!

C1884DEF-3DE6-4DBF-9C1B-68AED43D3E6A.jpeg

Got to love those little sharp red tips for pushing up through soil.... Kind of like the egg tooth on a baby bird for cracking through the shell. 

• Like 3

On 5/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, CTho said:

30 or 31 have germinated, and as of few days ago there’s green!

87F98261-26A9-4CF9-83C6-D5E0FFB7F955.jpeg

CTho: Looks good . What medium did you sprout the seeds in? Seems like you just placed them on top of the soil to sprout them. Is that the way it's done?

I germinated then in a ziplock bag (I actually just kept them in the bag Dundee shipped), making sure they stayed damp, and I kept them on top of my aquarium light for consistent warmth.

As soon as I saw the root/radicle, I moved them into a bunch of different mixes, ranging from 100% coco coir to 50/50 coir & compost from my yard; some got 80/20 or 90/10 mixtures of coco coir and worm castings.  A few have perlite too. 

I’m sure some of the mixes will turn out to be mistakes (my compost stays pretty wet, for example) but if a few do well I’ll be happy.  I have them all labeled so I’ll know in the future what to avoid.

The reason they’re so shallow is that I was worried about the containers being too short.  I see people sometimes recommending 18” deep pots and I used 14” pots... the root/radicle did bottom out, but so far the leaves look good (and I think TexasColdHardyPalms grows successfully in 14” pots).

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Not to intercept the post but here is my largest one from this batch of seed started late Dec. 2018.  It was started in moss/baggie and once large enough it was transferred to a 14" tree pot. Note the blue-silver coloration.  I have others in tree pots and large community pots. 

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jimmyt said:

Not to intercept the post but here is my largest one from this batch of seed started late Dec. 2018.  It was started in moss/baggie and once large enough it was transferred to a 14" tree pot. Note the blue-silver coloration.  I have others in tree pots and large community pots. 

image.png

image.png

Since this old thread is already bumped, I’ll note that most of mine have 3 leaves now.  I also exposed a bunch of them to full sun which resulted in them turning a deep (silvery) purplish red.  Here’s a photo from November:

950F9D72-B6D6-4B3C-AA0B-BB77B83B6381.jpeg

• Like 4

Lookin’ good!  CTho  Mine stay in some shade.  Right now 40% in the greenhouse. Kept them under cover this summer.  Too risky at this age to expose them to summer mid day central Texas sun, IMO.