Jump to content
Gonzer

Brrrrrrr....

Recommended Posts

Silas_Sancona

36F @ 7:47am at the house. Coldest neighborhood Wx stations reading 24-28F approx. 7 miles south / south east of here in Sun Lakes / South Chandler / Chandler Heights.

Lots of readings in the 25-29F range across Tucson atm also. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
5 hours ago, Gonzer said:

35.1 F

any frost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O

41 1/2F  where I live in Carlsbad.

air seems bone dry too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomJ

It's testing time for the "marginals".

NO frost

Screenshot (2) (Large).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gonzer
4 hours ago, Josh-O said:

any frost?

None Josh. Bananas and Plumerias showed no sign. But....it's #@$^ing cold!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmTreeDude
4 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

None Josh. Bananas and Plumerias showed no sign. But....it's #@$^ing cold!!!!

What state are you in? I am assuming somewhere in the Southwest, since I know it is a bit chilly there now. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quaman58

34-1/2 degrees this morning. Yuck. Always a good 6-7 degrees colder here in the coastal canyons than the “official” S.D. temps which are recorded at the Lindbergh field airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BS Man about Palms

I have not measured in a while, but when I did, I found I was usually @4F above Oceansides recorded.. thus I figure @ 38F this AM.. suspect will be colder tonight..

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gonzer
13 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

What state are you in? I am assuming somewhere in the Southwest, since I know it is a bit chilly there now. 

Nope, just down the hill from Mr. BS Man and about a mile away as the crow flies.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZPalms

33f here right now in Waddell, AZ. Peeked outside and I think it may be a bit colder. Banana showing browning on a few leaves. Peaked under the largest royal, small dark green spotting that probably will be damaged. Peaked in on the smaller royal looks perfect still. Dypsis decaryi unprotected no signs of damage so far. Zero frost. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nachocarl

We hit 36.1f yesterday morning which is the coldest night in a long time.  This morning it is a warmer 40.5f with a warming trend for the next couple of days......New year's day they are callling for a pretty chilly evening but looks good after that with some rain in the forecast.  One of my plumerias that is out in the open under no canonpy is looking to shut down for the winter but that's about it....for now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona

31F at 7:51am as the sun peaks over the medical offices across the street. No apparent frost out front, or visible on the ground or rooftops across the street.

Neighborhood Wx station temp range within 2 miles s 28-33F.  Similar temperatures this morning to yesterday in the colder spots just south of the 202 and east of Arizona Ave by the Airport ( Chandler Municipal). 

Current temps across Tucson also looking similar to yesterday  ( 25-32F) ..Maybe a few more 20's on the map today..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
19 hours ago, Gonzer said:

None Josh. Bananas and Plumerias showed no sign. But....it's #@$^ing cold!!!!

Glad to hear that. I hope Tuesday wont be as bad as I'm thinking it will be

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
14 hours ago, quaman58 said:

34-1/2 degrees this morning. Yuck. Always a good 6-7 degrees colder here in the coastal canyons than the “official” S.D. temps which are recorded at the Lindbergh field airport.

all that wonderful canopy you have in your front yard should keep things frost free I would think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

Hate this time of year. I hit 35 last night. Mid 30s before that. For me, looking like it could dip below 32 on and after new years. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

My current forecast at the moment but this could change...

31st.. 32f

1st.. 33f

2nd.. 33f

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC

Guess I should not be complaining about our 39f low today and 40f low yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UK_Palms
6 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Guess I should not be complaining about our 39f low today and 40f low yesterday.

Huntington Beach was colder than my low of 42F last night in southern England. And a low of 45F the night before for us.

A big change on the way come midweek though. Lows down to 25F on Thursday night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gonzer

20 degree F shift this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona

48F and cold scattered showers as of 2:28 pm as 2018 comes to a close. Despite temps dropping into the 30's by 8 pm last night, no frost again this morning.  Snowing pretty much everywhere above 3500' north and east of Phoenix. Snow level is anticipated to bottom out somewhere between 2400-3000' by sunrise tomorrow.
  NWS is currently painting a 20-40% chance for brief snow showers / wintry mix, maybe a brief dusting ( coldest / sheltered spots) in the Tucson Metro itself sometime between 3-4 am and 10 am tomorrow if showers linger across the area during that time frame. Areas of Tucson above 3000' could see 1-3". Mt Lemmon could see nearly 2ft by Wed. morning. Wouldn't be surprised to hear reports of flakes / sleet flying closer to Phoenix either tomorrow morning. Wickenberg saw some already today. Anticipate most local peaks should be dusted also.

Tomorrow night and Thursday morning could end up colder than this past weekend.. Current W. underground forecast looks the coldest:  30F Wed morning, 28F Thursday morning.. NWS is within a degree or two atm for both days.. Leftover moisture from the rain today also raises the potential for an actual frost / light freeze both mornings.

Cold spell should break by Friday, followed by what looks like a lot of rain possible starting next Sunday.. Current forecast for total accumul. precip ( GFS =Trop. Tidbits ) may exceed 2.7" - 3" across Phoenix by the 14th of the month ahead.. Wet pattern also for So Cal. Though not as bullish as earlier when model output was painting 5-6"+ rainfall totals across a good chunk of coastal Southern CA. 

Cold, but welcome way to start 2019.. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZPalms
3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

48F and cold scattered showers as of 2:28 pm as 2018 comes to a close. Despite temps dropping into the 30's by 8 pm last night, no frost again this morning.  Snowing pretty much everywhere above 3500' north and east of Phoenix. Snow level is anticipated to bottom out somewhere between 2400-3000' by sunrise tomorrow.
  NWS is currently painting a 20-40% chance for brief snow showers / wintry mix, maybe a brief dusting ( coldest / sheltered spots) in the Tucson Metro itself sometime between 3-4 am and 10 am tomorrow if showers linger across the area during that time frame. Areas of Tucson above 3000' could see 1-3". Mt Lemmon could see nearly 2ft by Wed. morning. Wouldn't be surprised to hear reports of flakes / sleet flying closer to Phoenix either tomorrow morning. Wickenberg saw some already today. Anticipate most local peaks should be dusted also.

Tomorrow night and Thursday morning could end up colder than this past weekend.. Current W. underground forecast looks the coldest:  30F Wed morning, 28F Thursday morning.. NWS is within a degree or two atm for both days.. Leftover moisture from the rain today also raises the potential for an actual frost / light freeze both mornings.

Cold spell should break by Friday, followed by what looks like a lot of rain possible starting next Sunday.. Current forecast for total accumul. precip ( GFS =Trop. Tidbits ) may exceed 2.7" - 3" across Phoenix by the 14th of the month ahead.. Wet pattern also for So Cal. Though not as bullish as earlier when model output was painting 5-6"+ rainfall totals across a good chunk of coastal Southern CA. 

Cold, but welcome way to start 2019.. 

Snow in Scottsdale today..https://mobile.twitter.com/azfamily/status/1079855546495201280?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Crazy weather! I’m about 30 minutes from Wickenburg AZ and heard it snowed today. Here on the white tank mountain foothills it’s been raining most of the day. I could have sworn it may have been feezing rain earlier. Praying for above 30f temps for the more tender palms in the yard. Come on Friday!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex

Stay dry and warm out there. It also rained here today at a very cool rate. 13C and rain.... Snow fell on the mountains east of us. I wager that is why we still have the lingering cold.

But as Silas said "welcome way to start 2019"

You must've seen this thousands of times, but this is great information for AZ (Applicable for palms as well) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UgvEXbxoSU

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZPalms
3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Stay dry and warm out there. It also rained here today at a very cool rate. 13C and rain.... Snow fell on the mountains east of us. I wager that is why we still have the lingering cold.

But as Silas said "welcome way to start 2019"

You must've seen this thousands of times, but this is great information for AZ (Applicable for palms as well) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UgvEXbxoSU

 

I’ve seen this video and used it as some inspiration for my burrito wrapped palms. I used stakes and frost cloth and then wrapped with plastic. When it’s sunny I pop the top and lift the bottom so it can breathe. The plastic saved my butt yesterday with all the rain.  I’d post pics but it looks out of this world lol! 

Edited by AZPalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

32F or about last night. Chilly!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz

We had our first frost this morning, very light but enough to slightly wilt brugmansia. 33F was the reading on the closest weather station. Looks like that was the end of the low 30s at least through the next 10 days for Fresno. Crossing my fingers for no more frost. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

Low of 35 no frost. Looks warmer from here on

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

28F Yesterday morning and 31F this morning.  First frost for my area so it took out some of the tender plants, the bananas are hanging on but look wilted.  No more below or near freezing temps in the forecast so I'm hopefully optimistic this will be the end of frost for this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona

30F again this morning.. but no frost. Not seeing any obvious burn on stuff left out / planted out in the open / cold spots in the yard either. Downtown Phoenix also hit 30F which is the coldest reading there since Jan. 2013.  After another day or so stuck in the 50's.. Temps should return to the mid 60's by Saturday / next week. Accuweather  has highs here rebounding to near 75 by next Thursday.. Highest suggested *high* next week from everyone else's forecasts : 66-68F. Glad i stopped paying much attention to AccuWx's trash-casts. Its rare that their forecasts actually come true..  Had us dropping to 25F last night. Apparently reached 39 where ever they recorded this morning's low. Both readings wayy off.:rolleyes:

Looks like tonight will be the last night for temps at / below 32.. ( 31-29F temp range suggested by all forecast sites) locally.  38-49F  lows forecast beyond Sat. morning / into next week. Change to wetter weather still on the way but much wider spread of possible totals between the models / model runs.. Some sticking to 1.5-3" others suggest no more than 1" over the next 10-15 days. Betting wetter myself..

After seeing morning flurries and or a rain / snow mix across parts of Tucson yesterday, looks like the metro itself missed out on the surprise 2-6"+ of snow that re-developed across southeast AZ yesterday afternoon / last night..  Will be interesting to see how this event ranks against historical in the coming days..  

Hoping this is it for the majority of any cold here this winter..  Not wishing for a quick return to the 90's either.. They can stay away until June:winkie:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Chance

Got down to 28 in my area. No frost though but still way too cold. Tender plants like bananas showing damage but not too bad. Probably will take a few weeks to see the extent of the damage but palms look okay at this point. I think we will be in the clear this week with rain this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quaman58
On 12/30/2018, 9:04:54, Josh-O said:

all that wonderful canopy you have in your front yard should keep things frost free I would think?

Oh yeah, most definitely Josh. So I'm down down to stressing over this or that small gem that's got some exposure. 33F last night in my hood. Veitchias, Dictyospermas & most Ravenea's collectively hate me. Like it's somehow my fault. :(

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm Tree Jim

39F was my low last night.

It appears that south of me, it's a bit cooler by a few degrees in general.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex

My low last night was 3C/37.4F

It was cold. Still, it has not broken the 5-year low record. In 2015 we hit 2.3c

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona

Fitting that on the last morning of this particular cold spell, low at sunrise bottomed out at 26.3F with frost that is still hanging around nearby rooftops, and on grass in the still shaded parts of the backyard. No ice though. Temps warming rapidly through the 40's. at 10 am. 

Seeing some light burn on a couple things in colder spots in the yard, but less than anticipated since temps were below 33F from 12am this morning until after sunrise. Part of that could be that the actual temperature stayed 1-3 deg above the dew point right until the sun came up.

Possible we drop to  33-35F tonight, than 40's from Sat. onward. No frost / freeze watches / warnings posted for tonight however.  67-70F still  forecast by next Wednesday. Rain on the way. 

As cold as it was here, and down in Tucson, it could've been worse.. Some readings from up north along/ north of the Rim ( Flagstaff NWS ):  Cold mornings are normal up there this time of year but.. Yikes, lol. 

Chino Valley: 10F
Payson: 9F
Flagstaff Airport: 1F
Winslow Airport: -1F
Window Rock Airport: -11F 
....aand  Mormon Lake, for the win:  -13F

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nachocarl
51 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Fitting that on the last morning of this particular cold spell, low at sunrise bottomed out at 26.3F with frost that is still hanging around nearby rooftops, and on grass in the still shaded parts of the backyard. No ice though. Temps warming rapidly through the 40's. at 10 am. 

Seeing some light burn on a couple things in colder spots in the yard, but less than anticipated since temps were below 33F from 12am this morning until after sunrise. Part of that could be that the actual temperature stayed 1-3 deg above the dew point right until the sun came up.

Possible we drop to  33-35F tonight, than 40's from Sat. onward. No frost / freeze watches / warnings posted for tonight however.  67-70F still  forecast by next Wednesday. Rain on the way. 

As cold as it was here, and down in Tucson, it could've been worse.. Some readings from up north along/ north of the Rim ( Flagstaff NWS ):  Cold mornings are normal up there this time of year but.. Yikes, lol. 

Chino Valley: 10F
Payson: 9F
Flagstaff Airport: 1F
Winslow Airport: -1F
Window Rock Airport: -11F 
....aand  Mormon Lake, for the win:  -13F

I hope it the forecast is correct, we are doing the hike down to Phantom Ranch from the South Rim and staying a couple of nights Jan13-14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nachocarl

Coldest night was Tues here at Nacholandia 2.0 hitting 33.1F sometime over the evening.  I checked the temp at 6:30 AM (Weds) and it had bumped back up to 39F.  Last night wasn't too bad, bottoming out at 36.9F and bumped back up to 40F by 6:15 AM.  Plumerias that are out in the open are giving up, but my Celedine in a sheltered spot still looks nice and dark green.  I saw some fungal spotting on the newest Foxtail frond which is right by my thermometer with no canopy, ooked like a little browning of A. maxima too.  I didn't observe any frost during this event.  Come on spring!:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
45 minutes ago, nachocarl said:

I hope it the forecast is correct, we are doing the hike down to Phantom Ranch from the South Rim and staying a couple of nights Jan13-14.

Good time to do this hike.  Will be nice and cool.  We did a 24 turnaround in the middle of summer.  Will never do that again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UK_Palms

The forecast models have been totally off in recent days for my area. Multiple sources predicted it to be quite a bit colder than it has actually been here. 

They forecast frost and a low of 32F two nights ago, but it didn't drop below 38F.

Last night they had forecast a low of 30F and frost, but it didn't drop below 40F.

Tonight they have forecast a low of 25F and heavy frost, but it is now 7pm and 40F, and maintaining steadily. The temperature has actually gone up 1 degree since darkness set in. The cloud cover is retaining the temperatures and it is due to be somewhat cloudy all night. Despite a forecasted low of 25F, I can't see it dropping below 32F. I reckon they will be wrong again with the forecast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

Another night around the freezing mark briefly. Some bananas at the very top have some slight burn. Front yard is colder because it's in the wide open and nobody has any trees at all. Probably been like 33/34 in the backyard and 31/32 in the front. Not horrible and overall everything looks good. But new growth on the maxima in front looks burned. I think that's only damage I have seen so far

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
1 hour ago, nachocarl said:

Coldest night was Tues here at Nacholandia 2.0 hitting 33.1F sometime over the evening.  I checked the temp at 6:30 AM (Weds) and it had bumped back up to 39F.  Last night wasn't too bad, bottoming out at 36.9F and bumped back up to 40F by 6:15 AM.  Plumerias that are out in the open are giving up, but my Celedine in a sheltered spot still looks nice and dark green.  I saw some fungal spotting on the newest Foxtail frond which is right by my thermometer with no canopy, ooked like a little browning of A. maxima too.  I didn't observe any frost during this event.  Come on spring!:rolleyes:

Good to know.  Unlike last year, when i tucked them in the Shed, i decided earlier this Fall i'd keep all my Plumeria sheltered under the Patio this year and observe what ( if any) effects any cold we might see this year has on them.. Not seeing any issues atm.   Did plant one out front back in 2017 and covered it with Pool Noodles. Had to strip off all the leaves though since it didn't want to go dormant, unlike all my potted specimens that had dropped all their leaves back in November.  My monster dormant Uncarina peltata specimen i left fully exposed looks solid also, no soft tips or apparent burn. It sits where the sun doesn't hit it until after 10:30 am this time of year. 

Only thing that looks like it got nipped is some new growth on the small Torch Glow Bougs. out front.  Kind of surprising since i left stuff like my largest Gumbo Limbo, Lance pod ( Lonchocarpus violaceus), and Guaiacum sanctum out under the back Patio with only overhead cover ( quite cold under it regardless).  5 gal Bulnesia arborea, and Fl. Apple cactus (Harrisia fragrans) that sit in a more exposed location in the yard ( under high,  currently semi deciduous Mesquite canopy) also look fine. 

New neighbor across the back Alley looks like his Bananas and Moringa got burned. They raised the canopy on the Mesquite in their yard by quite a bit back in September. Their front faces / is fully exposed to the west / north. Same guy has some Mangoes, Litchi ( or a Longan, not quite sure), and Guavas planted in the front of another house a few doors down from us. Might take a walk to see how they look. 

1 hour ago, joe_OC said:

Good time to do this hike.  Will be nice and cool.  We did a 24 turnaround in the middle of summer.  Will never do that again!

Agree w /Joe.. Now thru April / May is a prime time to get out and explore, especially up north / in the mountains..  I'm always amazed at how many people push  the limits when out on the trails, especially here in the Valley, when it is over 100.. let alone once the oven is cranked to 110-120F in June and July.. Always someone being rescued, taken to the hospital with heat-related issues at that time on the news..      Won't miss that, at all.. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×