IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wild monkeys in Florida

Jimbean

I am familiar with the large population of monkeys originally confined to the Silver Springs area near Ocala, Florida. They originated from a huckster in the late 1930's, who staged an attempted tourist attraction near location filming for old Tarzan movies. This population has escalated to a point that Florida Wildlife attempted to capture them. This led to a firestorm of protests from local residents, who liked the monkeys, and successfully opposed their removal.This population is now multi-generational and is widespread throughout mid-central Florida with sightings from Clearwater to Daytona.

The monkeys in the Youtube were located in Ft. Lauderdale. This is certainly no surprise as Hurricane Andrew's devastation of the Miami Zoo was a well known source of the wide distribution of numerous species of exotic/non-local animals (see pythons, etc...). Those monkeys appeared much larger than the variety doing crazy things in central Florida.This leads inexorably to the next logical question. Any Youtubes on local gorillas?

What you look for is what is looking

I was surprised to the extent that the monkeys had established themselves.  At the rate that they are spreading they could become a serous invasive species. 

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

11 hours ago, Jimbean said:

I was surprised to the extent that the monkeys had established themselves.  At the rate that they are spreading they could become a serous invasive species. 

No worse than New Yorkers LOL.

• Upvote 1

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

I always wondered why there aren’t any monkeys native in the US, we have tropical places like S Florida and there many monkeys in Central and South America. Also there are monkeys in other parts of the world that live in cold like the snow monkeys in Japan. Plus I have seen monkeys in the snow in high elevation areas in South Africa. 

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

1 hour ago, Xerarch said:

I always wondered why there aren’t any monkeys native in the US, we have tropical places like S Florida and there many monkeys in Central and South America. Also there are monkeys in other parts of the world that live in cold like the snow monkeys in Japan. Plus I have seen monkeys in the snow in high elevation areas in South Africa. 

There used to be a many, many species in North America that were similar to those in Africa, such as the camel, horse (before reintroduction by the Spanish), lions, antelope, and the cave bear.  Monkeys were native to Jamaica but also went extinct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_monkey

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl