• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
PalmatierMeg

Rare Palm Seedlings from Lanai Container Garden

PalmatierMeg

This afternoon I was doing a periodic checkup on my container garden on the back lanai and decided to pull out a few seedlings for photos. Some I bought, others I germinated. Happy Holidays and enjoy.

Verschaffeltia splendida - I have four left out of 10 I germinated from seeds I got from Thailand. I'm hoping at least one survives until spring.

5c253cd4d0f4e_Verschaffeltiisplendida0115c253ce09d5f6_Verschaffeltiisplendida021

Areca catechu Dwarf - I germinated this seedling that shows promising form.

5c253d3edf3de_Arecacatechudwarf0112-27-1

Lanonia magalonii - from Jeff Marcus

5c253d98e3a6b_Lanoniamagalonii0112-27-18

Hydriastele beguinii "Obi Isle" - bought at Palm Beach sale

5c253df9b71aa_HydriastelebeguiniiObiIsle

Areca guppyana - I'm a sucker for Arecas and they keep breaking my heart. Bought at Palm Beach sale

5c253e75a2fe9_Arecaguppyana0112-27-18.th

Pinanga bicolana - one of the most colorful Pinangas around. Seed from RPS germinated easily but not as easy to keep alive. Well worth trying.

5c253f151c18f_Pinangabicolana0112-27-18.5c253f281a87d_Pinanagabicolana0212-27-185c253f347de0c_Pinangabicolana0312-27-18.

Rhopaloblaste augusta - germinated from seeds I got from Thailand. Two seedlings remain. Gets large and is cold sensitive.

5c253fc3e02a5_Rhopaloblasteaugusta0112-2

Adonidia merrillii variegata - very nice variegated specimen of an otherwise common-as-dirt palm. From Jeff Marcus

5c25405393350_Adonidiamerrilliivariegata5c2540675f2b9_Adonidiamerrilliivariegata

Heterospathe califrons - very rare new species that is hanging in there for me so far. Doesn't look like much now but just wait. From Jeff Marcus

5c2540cb40fea_Heterospathecalifrons0112-5c2540dc96f25_Heterospathecalifrons0212-

• Upvote 8

Neil C

Nice selection!

Regards Neil

sashaeffer

Meg, in regards to your Verschaffeltia splendida If I can grow them indoors in Nebraska, should be a piece of cake for you.

Love the uniqueness of them and fast growth.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My palms going into winter look their best so far this year. Today on Christmas Eve I took the following photos to look back on when spring reveals what winter has in store. Best always to all and their palms.
      Areca concinna

Syagrus schizophylla

Areca catechu normal

Archonotophoenix alexandrae

Dictyosperma album

Pritchardia pacifica

Chamaedorea stolonifera

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      The sun is still ferocious and days usually sweltering but north and east breezes carry a whiff of cooler, drier days on the horizon. Another 4-5 weeks and the rainy season spigot abruptly shuts off. I do most of my yard work in the fall, winter and early spring trying to catch up with growth in overdrive from summer. Yesterday I decided to make a photo update of my tropical container garden on the back lanai. Last month I did battle with a mealybug infestation on some of my Chamaedoreas using two spray bottles of insecticidal soap and imidicloprid drench. Yesterday I found scale starting to invade - more insecticidal soap. Come early Nov. I will proactively go after spider mites with one of my two miticides. Right now all my uber tropical potted palms are at their peak glory.
      Among the palms featured below are two that have lost their tags and need an expert ID. Please help me find out who they are.
      First Photo: a view of the length of the lanai looking east. I keep the birdcage covered with two layers of commercial grade shadecloth to protect the palms inside.

One palm in particular inspired this photo essay: Pinanga cochinchinensis. I've had a checkered history with Pinangas. I love them but so often they cling to life for me, then give up and die. I'm so delighted this handsome clumper has hung in and actually grew to about 6' tall. I recently moved it to a larger pot because the wind kept blowing it over.

Areca catechu Dwarf - This is my oldest surviving dwarf Areca and the only large one kept on the lanai. The rest stay outdoors.

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons - my larger of two. Both have done well for me. I have repotted them once with great trepidation because they are quite root sensitive but they took the disruption in stride. I've had no luck growing any of the other Joey species.

Ravenea hildebrandtii

Heterospathe salomonensis

The genus Dypsis has scores of species. Many, but not all, prefer the mediterranean climate in CA, as opposed to the sweltering heat of FL. I am currently trying the following species in pots:
      Dypsis mirabilis - I've had this colorful little palm for almost a year. It will go through its second winter here soon.

Dypsis psammophila - A slender, gracile clumper related to the larger commoner D. lutescens

Dypsis prestoniana - My tentative introduction to the large to huge species that often grow like snails and keel over when faced with the heat of the day and night

Got to take a break now. More photos soon. Thanks for looking.
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      One sweltering day this past week I realized I hadn't posted any new photos since the spring. And everyone loves photos, right? So, I got to thinking about one of my favorite genera: Areca. This notoriously cold sensitive genus hails from tropical Asia and I would love to have a garden of dozens of species. But most of them of them can't survive in my climate, which breaks my heart. However, I've managed a scant few successes. Most of those are Areca catechu semi-dwarfs and dwarfs, some which I germinated myself. For some reason, the dwarfs are marginally cold hardier than the normal variety, which is rated a zone 11. I've decided to do a photo essay on the incarnations of Areca catechu.
      Areca catechu normal: In habitat this variety can reach 100' tall. I grew this palm from seeds, planted it last fall at the edge of my jungle just above the canal. It survived winter and is growing quickly in the heat. Note the long, thin stem, petioles and spaced out leaflets - no signs of stunting or rigid, scrunched leaves.

Areca catechu semi-dwarf: Dwarfism in A. catechu occurs along a spectrum. The semi-dwarf shows subdued traits, including shortened stems and petioles and some scrunching of the leaves. I bought the palm in the following photos as a dwarf but understood it would never show extreme dwarfism. And the price was right. Was I lied to? That's in the eye of the beholder. It's a handsome palm anyway. The stem is chunkier, the leaves somewhat scrunched and petioles only 4-6" long. It stands 5-6' tall, excluding pot.

Areca catechu semi-dwarf #2: I germinated this palm from semi-dwarf seeds I received from Scott Zona

Areca catechu dwarf: I've owned this palm for a number of years. It is in a very large pot on a wheeled dolly set on my back lanai. If temps fall below 45F I wheel it indoors along with my other uber tropicals. The gold ring for A.c. extreme dwarfism is a total lack of a petiole. Those specimens are very rare indeed and I am still looking. The palm in the following has petioles 1/2" to 1" long, so it is close. It lives under shadecloth, which might be causing the minimal petioles. Dwarfs grown in sun have shorter petioles while those in shade "stretch out."

• Eric Thompson
      By Eric Thompson
      I recently got around 100 Areca seeds from a plant in Niagara Falls. The majority of them still with the flesh on. I’ve tried using the baggie method with soil and perlite as well as paper towel with another group. It’s been 3 weeks and not seeing anything happening. I have now moved them into a done around 80 degrees. How long should I expect to see something happening. Thanks