IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm tree for patio pool in pot zone 10a

PalmMom007

Hi, 

I want to hear some good palms to keep in a pot on the patio by a pool in Southwest Florida. I want to hear your ideas! Thanks and Happy holidays to all! 

Dictyosperma album var. conjugatum

I just acquired some small specimens just for that purpose!  First time I saw these palms, I fell in love with those reigns!

Although, with your zone, you could likely get away with planting them in the ground anywhere you like. 

913834E9-97E1-45B9-B907-7330EF546200.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Areca catechu Dwarf can take sun or shade. They aren't cheap but can be found if you look.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, PalmMom007 said:

Hi, 

I want to hear some good palms to keep in a pot on the patio by a pool in Southwest Florida. I want to hear your ideas! Thanks and Happy holidays to all! 

Phoenix Roebelenii  are great container palms.  The only thing you'll need to worry with with them is trimming off dead fronds as they expire, and keeping it in the correct pot size  they produce a fair amount of roots and once they get pot bound they will slow down.  They are best in  areas where they get at least 5-6 hours of sun per day, and need to be kept watered but not constantly damp. They usually will tell you when they want water as their fronds will begin to droop.  They look great in singles, doubles or even triples although im partial so singles.  I would get some that already have a foot or two of trunk on them as well. 

Another great palm for containers, are Dypsis Lutescense (Areca palms).  I have two larger ones in half whisky barrels  on my front patio and they do fantastic there.  I thin mine out to where there are 5-7 larger canes, but you can also keep them fully bushy and allow more suckers to come up.  I don't water mine that often accept in dry season ( winter) as they do just fine with rain usually.   

If you are in a more shaded situation Chamadorea do great too.  C. Seifrizii are great for taller palms, and c. cataractum also can look gorgeous in containers too if you get a larger clump.  They can take some sun too but also do great in full shade.   Same with Rhapis Excelsa.     I'm sure there are many many more as well, but these just came right to the top of my head when I read your post.    Which ever ones you choose I would tend to get a larger specimen since its going in a large area by a pool. 

Keep us updated on what you choose and show us pics!   

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much! I ended up going with the Rhapsis excelsa for the potted palm by the pool (it’s for my parents) they loved it. 

I have some Areca catechu (regular size) I definitely want to get some dwarf. We have some princess palms, dictosperma album ( how big do they get tho?

Dictyosperma can get 37' according to Palmpedia. Not ultimately a good choice for under a pool cage but are fairly slow growing, beautiful and carefree for me.

A. catechu dwarf is reportedly cold hardier than the normal phenotype, which is a zone 11 palm that can reach 100' tall. An extreme dwarf (difficult and expensive to find) may reach only 16' tall with great age making it great for pool and bird cages. I have potted dwarfs and semi-dwarfs and last spring planted a normal type at the eastern edge of my back yard jungle only a few feet set back from the canal. I'm hoping it can survive my winters in that spot.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.