IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southernmost Canary Island Date Palm

cbmnz

Since there was a thread for the Northernmost Canary Island Date Palm in the world, could do with one for the Southernmost.

It took a bit of looking but I've found one in the Southernmost city in New Zealand, Invercargill at 46.4S.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-46.4298818,168.3585655,3a,49.9y,194.86h,87.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp9rpLGS8dmtOICsTDW7DAQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If one can survive there, no doubt one could grow ~80km further South in Oban, Stewart Island, just a case of if anyone ever bothered to take one over and plant it.

The same latitude in South America puts you in Caleta Olivia, Argentina. It looks like the climate is very dry there and Southwards, too dry for a Canary Island Date Palm?  What is the minimum rainfall they need?

Over on the Chile side, the West Coast becomes almost uninhabited South of Quellón (43S),  Chile Chico, Patagonia  (46.3) might just meet the temperature requirements but is slightly North of Invercargill. Looks like Winters there are pretty cold and would be marginal at best.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Nice find!!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

After quick research through google street view I found two CIDPs in Caleta Olivia:

This one has at least endured one winter+ seems not to be irrigated, therefore it doesn't look very healthy:

5c1f7e208a2d4_Screenshot(531).thumb.png.

In a private front garden (obviously irrigated) the Canariensis looks much better although not as good as they tend to in warmer (+ wetter) regions

5c1f7e2a891cd_Screenshot(530).thumb.png.

• Upvote 2

Interesting. So they are moderately drought tolerant but do need irrigation in very dry near desert climates.

Looks like the Caleta Olivia ones are slightly further South than Invercargill. If there are any in South America substantially South of this line they are guaranteed to be world's Southernmost as New Zealand  runs out of inhabited land. As did Africa, Australia etc a lot further North.

CIDP_South.png

Yes, Capetown and my area are the same latitude as the northern tip of NZ (furthest south area in Western Australia) and they grow like weeds here, but nowhere near the southern most area. Patagonia in Chile probably has the title. 

I think the Canaries are quite arid but these grow in the mountains near streams. So dry air doesn't create a problem for them but for optimum growth sufficient soil moisture is a must. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I decided to play the "map game" and encountered this one at Plaza del Vagon in Puerto Deseado, Argentina! (-47.7535931, -65.8945427)

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 6.03.09 PM.png

• Like 1

I'm always up for learning new things!

I know this thread is about 'southernmost' P.canariensis but thought I'd share a photo of some northern ones that are doing quite well at 49N...on the Island my family comes from...I believe there is also  a very large trunking Canary in London as well...blows my mind!  Must be mild as there are also W.robusta growing in the same street, plus the usual Trachycarpus

Jersey CIDP

Edited by Daryl
  • Like 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

21 hours ago, kylecawazafla said:

I decided to play the "map game" and encountered this one at Plaza del Vagon in Puerto Deseado, Argentina! (-47.7535931, -65.8945427)

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 6.03.09 PM.png

Well spotted. I did look at that town and surrounds as a place that could support the Southermost  in ground specimens. However not easy to notice ones that small! They grow far too large for a suburban back yard in only a few years where I live. Wonder if that one is only young or has been clinging  to life, hardly growing, for years there.

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2018 at 7:34 AM, LivistonaFan said:

After quick research through google street view I found two CIDPs in Caleta Olivia:

This one has at least endured one winter+ seems not to be irrigated, therefore it doesn't look very healthy:

5c1f7e208a2d4_Screenshot(531).thumb.png.

In a private front garden (obviously irrigated) the Canariensis looks much better although not as good as they tend to in warmer (+ wetter) regions

5c1f7e2a891cd_Screenshot(530).thumb.png.

Where exactly are these located? I just made a forum on the southernmost palms in South America. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PalmsUSA said:

Where exactly are these located? I just made a forum on the southernmost palms in South America. Thanks!

Sorry, I went on Google Maps and found the locations of the palms. Never mind! Thanks!

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Google streetviews is pretty amazing.  

First image:  I found some huge P. canariensis the Argentinian town of Caleta Olivia Argentina:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Kr195msHwg1vkNyv9

Second image:  As for furthest south, Oban NZ on Stewart Island (46.9S) would definitely be able to grow them.   There are groves of huge 20' tree ferns all over and have a look at this 20-25' Cordyline australis that is less hardy than phoenix: 

Caleta Olivia, Santa Cruz Province, Argentina 46.4S  Phoenix3.png

Oban, Stewart Island2, NZ 46.9S.png

Edited by jubaeasBC