IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cordyline indivisa

Darold Petty

I purchased seed of this species on the internet.  However the small plants are growing in a distichous fashion.  Is this a juvenile characteristic, or have I received wrongly labeled seeds ?

I also have small, known plants of C. petiolaris, these have petioles attached in a whorled, radial attachment to the central axis.  Please advise ! 

San Francisco, California

Not sure what happen to my posting an hour ago about cordyline indivisa but I just order some seeds myself today. 

Maybe your plants don't have true leaves yet, justing seedling leaves? Most cordyline indivisa seeds are actually australis seeds on ebay. Only NZ seeds company has the real deal I have found. 

45 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Not sure what happen to my posting an hour ago about cordyline indivisa but I just order some seeds myself today. 

Maybe your plants don't have true leaves yet, justing seedling leaves? Most cordyline indivisa seeds are actually australis seeds on ebay. Only NZ seeds company has the real deal I have found. 

Dean, feel free to delete my posting above. thanks, Darold. 

Edited by Palm crazy

• 4 months later...

Bump my own thread !  :mrlooney:  The mystery deepens.  About a month ago I moved my four plants from 4 inch pots up to 6x7 inch pots (California 1-gallon).  Two of the larger ones have now shifted from the strict, distichous habit to a random, radial attachment to the main stem axis.  Also, a faint, orange color is starting to appear on the mid-rib.

(A very promising change)

The first photo shows the strict, distichous habit all four plants originally presented, the second the newer, more radial attachment, and the third photo the very faint orange color.  Might these plants actually be correctly named, Cordyline indivisa?   Who has grown Cordyline from seed?  Has anyone observed this change in the foliage habit?

Roger, I have had zero germination from the NZ source, how about your seed ?

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

Same here no germination for NZ Seeds so disappointing.  Right now I say you have a 50/50 chance the others are the real thing, You'll know for sure in a few more months. The leaves with start to turn more olive color with a distinct orange band down the middle.  I hope it turns out to be the real deal but I can't tell yet. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello, just wondered how your Indivisa is doing? I just received 2 of them in the post today.

Palm Crazy and Richard,.. I first became aware of this spendid plant, Cordyline indivisa, when I saw them in habitat on the slopes of Mt. Taranaki, (north island of New Zealand.)  My first attempt was a mail order plant from Cistus nursery.   This 5-gallon sized plant grew very well in my garden until it was killed by a pocket gopher,  (Thomomys bottae)    Alas, by that time Cistus had no more inventory.

My second attempt was by seeds purchased online.  I should have been suspicious when the seeds arrived with a return address of Reno, Nevada.  These were the four plants I mentioned with the distichous foliage habit.   I don't have these any longer, I don't remember their disposition, but I admit that I have discarded plants when the ID became suspect.

My third attempt was seeds purchased online from a reputable source,  nzseeds.co.nz.  These failed to germinate, zero!   I signed up for the notification when the new crop would be available.

My fourth attempt was with very fresh seed, also provided by nzseeds.co.nz.

Here is the result.  If I can grow these up into substantial plants I will have an enormous bounty,  as I have space for only one or two plants in my garden.  So, my quest for this plant has been 22 years so far, and these sprouts are yet a few years away from ground planting size.  My friend,  JasonD,  alway mentions a luxuriant and massive individual growing on the coastline north of San Francisco.  This only increases my frustration and resolve !! :mrlooney:

Richard, you should have no trouble growing this in always cool, but frost free conditions.  

IMG_0461.JPG

• Like 3

So, my quest for this plant has been 22 years so far, and these sprouts are yet a few years away from ground planting size.  

@Darold Petty I'm excited for you.  Definitely one of the plants on my wish list, it would be nice to have a population in NAM that can provide seeds/seedlings for the rest of us.

• 1 month later...

and I thought my quest for this plant was long and painful (4 years), but I got nothin' on 22 years @Darold Petty! There's a video on youtube of a specimen in Vancouver BC that the homeowner found in a grocery store if you can believe it. Bookmarking this thread for future updates.

I don't want to jinx my efforts, but if I can grow these  up to 12-16 inches tall then I will offer many of them, with shipping, on Palmtalk. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I don't want to jinx my efforts, but if I can grow these  up to 12-16 inches tall then I will offer many of them, with shipping, on Palmtalk. 

Count me in.:greenthumb: