IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarkias

Walter John

These palms are simply the best palms for photo opportunities at different stages of their growth. Any part of the palm is worth a picture.

Gret ?

Here's another photo of each of my two bizzies.

Older brother

BizBig800.jpg

Younger brother

Bizlil800.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal- Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Mine is a little small, I haven't been able to get any stunning photos yet.

The younger brother is very blue - do find on certain days, it's more blue than others? Mine seems to be. I figure it's extra happy on those days.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Dear Wal,

Are these 2 biz(GreenForm)variety ? & if so how come the young brother is so bluiesh in color ?

the photos are good but iam in doubt as to what variety am i seening here_kindly clarify.

And now to your avatar_you resemble Andreas Agassie(tennis Star).Have you ever realised that. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Jul. 30 2006,10:50)

Dear Wal,

Are these 2 biz(GreenForm)variety ? & if so how come the young brother is so bluiesh in color ?

the photos are good but iam in doubt as to what variety am i seening here_kindly clarify.

And now to your avatar_you resemble Andreas Agassie(tennis Star).Have you ever realised that. :)

Hi Kris

They are both silver varieties. Andre Agassi ? I am Andre Agassi

post-51-1154302330_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Andre,

Here's a photo of my largest biz that I posted in that 'other' thread. The silver varies a bit, and is is a little greener in this photo as it is winter, and we've just had a fair bit of rain. It seems that lots of hot sunny weather makes them increase the wax on the leaves and 'colour' them up a bit.

Daryl

bismarckia2.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yes, Wal, silver bismarkia palms can be stunningly beautiful, especially when the sun shine is just right.

My climate is about border line for growing silver bismarkia palms, but outside of one or two extra cold days a year there's plenty of heat to make them grow, especially through the months of April to November.

The coldest my bismarkia palms saw was 22F (-5.5C) with heavy frost on January 5, 2001. The result was some minor leaf tip burn.

Hopefully, but this time next year this palm will start to show some trunk:

2201190260042496162zDZfUC_th.jpg

by waltcat100

This photo shows five of the six silver bismarkia palms I'm growing:

2243236630042496162IwlFey_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Mad about palms

Dear Wal,

I have always praised your photos showing palm trees,but this time once again you proved your point !

have you started net practise for the coming austrilian open yet ?

i seem to like your attitude.  :)

Now to Walt Cat,Hey your pictures & your link to webshots gallery is terrefic.

And Daryl your picture is nice and its a nice landscape too.

And any new pictures on biz is always welcome here.  :D

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Walt, you've started labeling your palms with professional looking tags such as botanical gardens use?!?!  Gonna start charging admission?   :laugh:

I have five silver-blues but they are beginning to add some color to all the green 'cause I've only got one-sixteenth of your property size.  (Oh, I forget the Chambeyronia, Copernicia ekmanii, Ficus altissima 'Variegata'!)

Wal,that first photo is great with the light coming through the fronds like that.

And the second pic looks blue leaved?

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

krisarcher: I'm waiting until mid fall, then I'm going to update many of my Webshot albums. I will be on the look out for nice bismarkias!

Bob: Yes, last year I ordered 50 plant signs (all different species) which wasn't near enough. I still need many, many more signs as my collection continues to grow.

Mad about palms

Walt--

May one ask where you get those labels and what you pay for them?

I gotta get back over there and see your latest acquisitions .... and then come home and get once again dissatisfied with my tiny li'l piece o' Flowerida.

(Robert Lee Riffle @ Jul. 31 2006,03:33)

Walt, you've started labeling your palms with professional looking tags such as botanical gardens use?!?!  Gonna start charging admission?   :laugh:

I have five silver-blues but they are beginning to add some color to all the green 'cause I've only got one-sixteenth of your property size.  (Oh, I forget the Chambeyronia, Copernicia ekmanii, Ficus altissima 'Variegata'!)

Hehehe... I noticed this too.  This is totally HARDCORE! :D

May one ask where you get those labels and what you pay for them?

I don't know where Walt got his palm signs, but here's a link to Gary Wood's website.  He provides quality botanical signs (plus he's a long-standing IPS/PSSC member as well as being a great guy).

Plant Signs

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Bob: As per the link that Fred provided, I purchased my signs from Gary Woods. Luckily, I got them before the price increase.

I will say this for Gary Woods: he did not make one mistake (genus, species, country of origin, common name, etc.) in all of the 50 signs I ordered from him. All of the signs are of high quality (except for one I accidently ran over with my lawn tractor, but was salvagable) and are holding up as new.

Mad about palms

Here's a pic of my biggest Bismarckia taken about 6 months ago.

Since Krisachar wanted to see more Biz pictures I thought I'd share this one.

post-90-1154458355_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

This photo shows five of the six silver bismarkia palms I'm growing

Walt - I never get tired of that pic!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(Robert Lee Riffle @ Aug. 01 2006,12:52)

I gotta get back over there and see your latest acquisitions .... and then come home and get once again dissatisfied with my tiny li'l piece o' Flowerida.

RLR-

Dont do it!

Last time I was at Walt's place, I came home to my tiny little patch of Tarpon Springs and was downright ornery!  I have roughly 1/40th of his property!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Fred/Walt, thanks very much.  Have heard of Gary for years, of course.  Maybe wunna these days I'll get to meet him--ideally on my way to Hawaii .... yeah, sure!

Larry, shall I put Walt on the hit list, along with Bo, Dean, and a few others?

--Il Padrino

Robert:

Gary has a great place in Fallbrook, about an acre and a half, more or less, and he's got a great collection, including a triple Bismarckia, a Jubeaopsis, and a whole lot else.

I never get tired of visiting his place.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dear Al in kona,  :)

thanks for your picture,really stunning biz speciman.

and all friends out their kindly write your 'Nick' name or a name which resembles a human being.

it is becoming very difficult to remember your forum names along with other names you use while signing off your discussion.

those who are yet to join as members i request you to give your name from_first name ,middle name or last name(surname).if possible.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's a close-up of one of mine.

post-22-1154547713_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

A classic for sure.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Here are a couple of pictures I took on my most recent visit to Siesta Key Florida in May 2006.  I can't help but be mesmerized by them.

100_0304.jpg

100_03031.jpg

PhilPalma

Vaughan (Toronto) Ontario

Normally-Zone 5b-6a

Dear Phil Palma  :)

Very nice pictures of Biz & great size.

Are there any more new pictures of Biz from round the world_

are you guys listening !

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Dear friends  :)

this is my Biz(Silver form) which i germinated in

to a young sapling.it is around 7 months old.

and it is placed in my terrace garden in our

house (India).

Love,

Kris.

post-108-1156316915_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's a couple of local Bizzies...developing some nice thick trunks too.

rkbiz.jpg

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Dear Daryl  :)

you made my day ! beautiful Biz,Flacked by lovely

cycas.simply terrefic.

and those biz looks like a alien ship has landed in that park.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

2004_0915_173626AA.jpg

heres yers truly with bizzie(this nickname is really catching on thanks to all you aussies!) in honolulu,HI.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.