IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mystery flowering shrub?

Cindy Adair

The local farmer's market vendor said the only name she knew for this shrub? is jasmine.  I am guessing it could be a Clerodendrum and I know in the tropics many are extremely invasive, including one already on my property when I bought it.

Until I figure out the latin name and can research it, this poor plant is in the same pot and sitting on plastic to minimize self seeding and any issues with runners.

Still I bought it because it was cheap and the flowers really are distinctive and pretty. And I have almost zero will power when it comes to buying plants.

It got stressed when I had to leave it in a hot car running errands on the drive home from the market. It was smothered in the pretty white blooms when purchased.

I greatly appreciate help with the name!

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

Cindy Adair

I think you are right metalfan!

Thank you so much!!

I see it is also called Volkameria inermis 

Indian Privet, Seashore Tubeflower, Bunga Pawang, Wild Jasmine, Sorcerers Bush, Seaside clerodendrum

and is common in Singapore.

I read it is used for erosion control which means it could be put on one of my landslide areas. 

BUT spreads by runners and seeds so maybe should stay confined in a pot?

Anybody grow this one?

Cindy Adair

I don't have this one but I have several clerodendron species. All except for Minahassee and Wallichii are dreadfully invasive even up here in North Central Florida. Vines pop up 20 feet away from the mother plant.... I had one plant each of the Pagoda clerodendron and the one with the rosette of lovely pink and white flowers that form on top, and now I have an entire hedge of both after only a few years. I can see how they can be used for erosion control!

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot