IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Update of my coconut in Cyprus

Stelios

• 3 months later...

A small update for the coconut. So far the weather is very dry and warm so the palm is trying to open the new frond and pushing a new one (still slow though). Today was 28C in my yard (it should be a bit warmer tomorrow) and it seems November is going to be dry and warm too.

20211105_145933.thumb.jpg.d095f31682741dc876ced4e7a534d33e.jpg

20211105_114544.thumb.jpg.58ea5e15337f6565554daf8054897ce9.jpg

20211105_145844.thumb.jpg.2e1dd4b68137d876e86905ae182a5717.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Stelios been following this thread for a while, great work with the coconut! Hope it's doing ok over this winter. Would love to come and see it in person one day!

Hi Chris

It's great to hear from local members. You are more than welcome anytime you like visit us here in Paphos and see the palm in person. It will be interesting to see what you are growing there in Limassol and post it here. You have a very potential climate there too.

Just took these photos today. It's a nice day and at the place that is planted the thermometer shows 22C in the middle of the day. The nights have been good so far. It saw a couple of nights 10C and the rest were 11C to 14C.

20220109_123009.jpg

20220109_123253.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Wow! That is what I am talking about! What is your latitude? Cannot believe I missed this.

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

41 minutes ago, bubba said:

Wow! That is what I am talking about! What is your latitude? Cannot believe I missed this.

Thanks. I'm at 34°45'N.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 11:32 AM, Stelios said:

Hi Chris

It's great to hear from local members. You are more than welcome anytime you like visit us here in Paphos and see the palm in person. It will be interesting to see what you are growing there in Limassol and post it here. You have a very potential climate there too.

Just took these photos today. It's a nice day and at the place that is planted the thermometer shows 22C in the middle of the day. The nights have been good so far. It saw a couple of nights 10C and the rest were 11C to 14C.

20220109_123009.jpg

20220109_123253.jpg

I am not in CY at the moment sadly and haven't been for a while unfortunately! I am not there year round so it is difficult to care for the garden. The coco is looking good, touch wood, beautiful trunk and leaves! I have heard that there has been a lot of rain this winter. I met a wonderful lady in Kefalonia, who was growing a rather large one indoors at her restaurant, a much younger plant, but it seemed to be doing really well, huge leaves.

Keep us posted with updates. Next time I am around Paphos, I will let you know. Great photographs!

• Like 3

Great job Stelio! Makes me wonder if south Crete would be suitable too, although for some reason Cyprus seems to be a lot more humid than Greece and that's good for coconuts. We are expecting a cold wave here starting Wednesday; Not sure if it will reach Cyprus.

previously known as ego

6 hours ago, ego said:

Great job Stelio! Makes me wonder if south Crete would be suitable too, although for some reason Cyprus seems to be a lot more humid than Greece and that's good for coconuts. We are expecting a cold wave here starting Wednesday; Not sure if it will reach Cyprus.

Ευχαριστώ πολύ! I'm not very familiar with the climate of Crete. I have only been to Heraklion a few times in the summer many years ago, but I believe there must be some nice microclimate maybe near the south coast line. It will be good to have more info from a local who is more familiar with Crete. I remember Rhodes was humid like here in Cyprus, but I was there also a few times only in the summer.

Today must be the coldest day for this winter and the cool weather will continue for the next few days. Here in Paphos today the max temp is 11C. The spot that my palm is planted is more protected and it reached 14C. Tonight is expected to be at 4C (that is the weather station at Paphos airport and is cooler than my place which is more inland). Last night the coconut saw 9C so tonight I believe it will be around 7-8C at this spot.

The right spot and microclimate in your garden could make a difference.

Very impressive as I always thought coconuts can't take less than 14C. Perhaps there are varieties that are hardier? May I ask where you got that coconut from?

• Like 1

previously known as ego

6 hours ago, ego said:

Very impressive as I always thought coconuts can't take less than 14C. Perhaps there are varieties that are hardier? May I ask where you got that coconut from?

I brought the coconut from Samara beach, Costa Rica in 2009. 

Samara.thumb.jpg.a9bd4a01c093fbe68d4f7da98bd66640.jpg.f3e9858e03cfb8ee27d7cdd10f76b5af.jpg

I was there for 2 months and the owner of the place that I was staying told me to take as many seeds as I wanted. I took 2 not very big seeds and one germinated during my staying there. The other that I brought to Cyprus didn't germinate. My palm must be a yellow-golden dwarf variety. I don't know if I had taken the bigger seeds (green tall variety) they would be more cold tolerant. I didn't know anything about palms those years.

• Like 5

In other conversations I read that the Indian varieties are supposedly the most cold tolerant. Anyway, keep us updated! 

• Like 1

previously known as ego

On 1/9/2022 at 6:28 AM, bubba said:

Wow, Keith, I am shocked you have missed this one, since you are one of us who are so concerned about the northernmost/southernmost limit of them, LOL!!!

John

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 2:06 AM, ego said:

There are some varieties that are more cold/cool weather hardy than others.  The more cold/cool weather hardy ones that I know of are (listed in order of relative cold hardiness):  1. Indian Tall from north central India around New Delhi, 2. Mexican Tall from the Gulf Coast of Mexico near and just south of Matamoros, 3. Jamaican Tall from central and south central Florida, 3.  Panama Tall from sources in south central Florida, 4. Maypan Hybrid from sources in south central Florida,  and 5. Green Variety of Hawaiian Tall from slightly higher elevations on the Hawaiian Islands than the Golden Variety of Hawaiian Tall.  There is also a variety from the area around and just inland from Hong Kong in China that is supposedly relatively cold hardy (probably comparable in cold hardiness to the Indian Talls from north central India).  I am sure there are others too, as supposedly worldwide, there are over 650 different varieties of Coconut Palms throughout the Tropics and the warmer Subtropics.  As far as the Malayan Dwarfs are concerned, out of the 3 varieties of them, Green, Golden, and Yellow. the Green is slightly more cold hardy/cool weather hardy than the Golden and Yellow varieties, of which the Yellow is the least cold/cool hardy.  I hope this helps you.  There is also a variety that I believe has been grown to maturity near Durban, South Africa that seems to be relatively cold/cool weather hardy.

John

On 1/20/2022 at 8:42 AM, Stelios said:

I brought the coconut from Samara beach, Costa Rica in 2009. 

Samara.thumb.jpg.a9bd4a01c093fbe68d4f7da98bd66640.jpg.f3e9858e03cfb8ee27d7cdd10f76b5af.jpg

I was there for 2 months and the owner of the place that I was staying told me to take as many seeds as I wanted. I took 2 not very big seeds and one germinated during my staying there. The other that I brought to Cyprus didn't germinate. My palm must be a yellow-golden dwarf variety. I don't know if I had taken the bigger seeds (green tall variety) they would be more cold tolerant. I didn't know anything about palms those years.

Stelios,

Is the location in Costa Rica that you got it from, is that on the Pacific Coast, or Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica?

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Stelios,

Is the location in Costa Rica that you got it from, is that on the Pacific Coast, or Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica?

John

I believe it's on the pacific coast, might be wrong because I've never been there

1 hour ago, spike said:

I believe it's on the pacific coast, might be wrong because I've never been there

Oh, I thought you said you brought the nuts back with you from a trip there?

1 hour ago, spike said:

Sorry, I mistook you for Stelios responding to me.

8 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Stelios,

John

Hi John

Samara is a small town on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stelios said:

Hi John

Samara is a small town on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica.

Hi Stelios,

Okay.  Then maybe you have a Panama Tall, because they have strong Golden colored petioles too, similar to the Golden Malayan Dwarfs, but the advantage that they are a little more cold weather/cool weather hardy than the Golden Malayan Dwarfs are.

John

P.S.  You should be able to know in the next year or so, as the Panama Talls get a big swollen bole at the base of the trunk, and they get larger more robust leaves than the Golden Malayan Dwarfs do.

2 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Hi Stelios,

Okay.  Then maybe you have a Panama Tall, because they have strong Golden colored petioles too, similar to the Golden Malayan Dwarfs, but the advantage that they are a little more cold weather/cool weather hardy than the Golden Malayan Dwarfs are.

John

P.S.  You should be able to know in the next year or so, as the Panama Talls get a big swollen bole at the base of the trunk, and they get larger more robust leaves than the Golden Malayan Dwarfs do.

I hope you are right John. I do remember very common the coconuts with golden petioles on the beaches there. I took this photo from Carillo beach that is next to Samara beach. Maybe the characteristics are more visible here.

Carillo.thumb.jpg.b6498e9fe196068c8a2951524c9d9274.jpg.fb27f5aab102f12a62e6c6ca048c40cb.jpg

Thanks for the info John. Like you said. I should be able to know as the palm gets bigger (if it will make it through my winters).

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, Stelios said:

I hope you are right John. I do remember very common the coconuts with golden petioles on the beaches there. I took this photo from Carillo beach that is next to Samara beach. Maybe the characteristics are more visible here.

Carillo.thumb.jpg.b6498e9fe196068c8a2951524c9d9274.jpg.fb27f5aab102f12a62e6c6ca048c40cb.jpg

Thanks for the info John. Like you said. I should be able to know as the palm gets bigger (if it will make it through my winters).

Stelios,

Good news, those ARE DEFINITELY Talls, and considering they are growing on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, I would say there is a 99.99% chance they are Panama Talls!!!  Talls are the ones that grow naturally along Tropical Beaches.  Notice the swollen boles at the base of them, the leaning/curved trunks, and the width of the trunks going well upwards above the boles, and the full round crowns, yeah they are DEFINITELY Talls.

John

P.S.  Is that an area with clear wet/dry seasons?  The reason I ask is look at the very dry hillside in the background.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Stelios,

Good news, those ARE DEFINITELY Talls, and considering they are growing on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, I would say there is a 99.99% chance they are Panama Talls!!!  Talls are the ones that grow naturally along Tropical Beaches.  Notice the swollen boles at the base of them, the leaning/curved trunks, and the width of the trunks going well upwards above the boles, and the full round crowns, yeah they are DEFINITELY Talls.

John

P.S.  Is that an area with clear wet/dry seasons?  The reason I ask is look at the very dry hillside in the background.

Hi John

That's great news. I hope it will be cold tolerant enough to make it throught this winter!

Yes. This part of Costa Rica has wet/dry season. I was there during the dry season but I was told during the wet season the place gets a lot of rain.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:23 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

There are some varieties that are more cold/cool weather hardy than others.  The more cold/cool weather hardy ones that I know of are (listed in order of relative cold hardiness):  1. Indian Tall from north central India around New Delhi, 2. Mexican Tall from the Gulf Coast of Mexico near and just south of Matamoros, 3. Jamaican Tall from central and south central Florida, 3.  Panama Tall from sources in south central Florida, 4. Maypan Hybrid from sources in south central Florida,  and 5. Green Variety of Hawaiian Tall from slightly higher elevations on the Hawaiian Islands than the Golden Variety of Hawaiian Tall.  There is also a variety from the area around and just inland from Hong Kong in China that is supposedly relatively cold hardy (probably comparable in cold hardiness to the Indian Talls from north central India).  I am sure there are others too, as supposedly worldwide, there are over 650 different varieties of Coconut Palms throughout the Tropics and the warmer Subtropics.  As far as the Malayan Dwarfs are concerned, out of the 3 varieties of them, Green, Golden, and Yellow. the Green is slightly more cold hardy/cool weather hardy than the Golden and Yellow varieties, of which the Yellow is the least cold/cool hardy.  I hope this helps you.  There is also a variety that I believe has been grown to maturity near Durban, South Africa that seems to be relatively cold/cool weather hardy.

John

How about west African ones? Ivory Coast etc. What variety are they?

• Like 2

previously known as ego

11 hours ago, Stelios said:

Hi John

That's great news. I hope it will be cold tolerant enough to make it throught this winter!

Yes. This part of Costa Rica has wet/dry season. I was there during the dry season but I was told during the wet season the place gets a lot of rain.

Hi Stelios,

Me too.  I hope it will be fine.  I bet Costa Rica is Gorgeous, especially during the rainy season!!!

John

10 hours ago, ego said:

How about west African ones? Ivory Coast etc. What variety are they?

They are apparently descended from the Indian Talls, and the Jamaican Talls, and Mexican Talls are descended from them.  So, yes, they should be a good variety, with the exception that they have been growing in the intensely tropical climates of the West African Coastline, and therefore over the last 2 or 3 centuries have possibly lost some of their cold/cool weather resistance, whereas the Jamaican Talls, and Mexican Talls from the northernmost parts of their range have developed the cold/cool weather tolerance again.

John

On 1/28/2022 at 9:10 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Hi Stelios,

Me too.  I hope it will be fine.  I bet Costa Rica is Gorgeous, especially during the rainy season!!!

John

John, Costa Rica is gorgeous. It was mostly dry and hot around the coast when I was there. But I had a taste of how wet it can get more inland in the rain forest on the way to La Fortuna and the national park of Arenal Volcano.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 1:20 PM, Stelios said:

John, Costa Rica is gorgeous. It was mostly dry and hot around the coast when I was there. But I had a taste of how wet it can get more inland in the rain forest on the way to La Fortuna and the national park of Arenal Volcano.

Wow, Stelios, I really envy you.  The closest I have encountered to an area like that is the Emerald Isle of the Caribbean, Montserrat several years before the volcano blew.  The island was gorgeous, and I think the rainforest there, averaged about 80 inches of rain per year.  But I bet a lot of Costa Rica, with its much larger rainforests, averages about 130 to 150 inches of rainfall per year.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 12:51 PM, ego said:

@Stelios how's your coconut doing? Ίντα 'ν που κάμνει το μωρούιν σου; :D

Ha ha!! (Ναι, το μωρούιν μου νομίζω είναι εντάξει!) Yes, I think my "baby" is OK. Believe it or not my wife is more worried if the coconut will make it or not than I am. It's her baby! Don't get me wrong. I also like this palm, but now I prefer to see my chambeyronia, kentiopsis and the three veitchia arecinas to grow here. Despite they are small, they have better chances than the coconut.

It's showing a bit damage on some leaves but that's normal for winter. This January was very wet and the daily highs were not that good. Now the temps are better. It might take a few weeks to see if there is more damage. This photo was taken today.

20220215_133014.thumb.jpg.dfab79ce4779d544d57f985c44e0db33.jpg

20220215_132950.thumb.jpg.4d69e61bac709552447b498a712857bb.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stelios said:

Ha ha!! (Ναι, το μωρούιν μου νομίζω είναι εντάξει!) Yes, I think my "baby" is OK. Believe it or not my wife is more worried if the coconut will make it or not than I am. It's her baby! Don't get me wrong. I also like this palm, but now I prefer to see my chambeyronia, kentiopsis and the three veitchia arecinas to grow here. Despite they are small, they have better chances than the coconut.

It's showing a bit damage on some leaves but that's normal for winter. This January was very wet and the daily highs were not that good. Now the temps are better. It might take a few weeks to see if there is more damage. This photo was taken today.

20220215_133014.thumb.jpg.dfab79ce4779d544d57f985c44e0db33.jpg

20220215_132950.thumb.jpg.4d69e61bac709552447b498a712857bb.jpg

It looks great for February! And it's not even an Indian tall. You're very lucky. 

previously known as ego

• 1 month later...

I doubt north central indian palms exist, i have only heard of west coast and east coast talls, malayans in nicobar and some far south indian varieties here in india, just a few specimens in central and north india does not make a a new variety. Those were planted by humans and did not occur there naturally and do not spread naturally. Doesn't a tall variety grow near the coast anyway.

Inland South india has quite a few coconuts though in bangalore, madurai etc.

1 hour ago, ego said:

April is here @Stelios, the worst is behind us. Has your coconut survived? Any damage?

It's been a very unusually cold and wet winter and maybe the coldest March that I remember. A friend told me that they said from our meteo department that it was the coldest March the last 35 years. The coconut had more leaf burn this winter but it looks like it will be OK. It's opening a new frond also affected by the cold but the spear looks good.

20220330_180633.thumb.jpg.bdfdd56f8017cca92ae24f946ece4b77.jpg

20220330_180652.thumb.jpg.fe8dec1bf54b5b65706474c658b8ae6a.jpg

20220330_180717.thumb.jpg.7b172f1e2db00c634803d95d30a954ea.jpg

20220330_180759.thumb.jpg.b0d4dcd6295ae61def18139aa1c6b331.jpg

20220330_181021.thumb.jpg.48bd372f4230caa298cdaed5c85046ea.jpg

Our cat Mr. Socks seems to enjoy the warmer weather under his favorite palm.

20220330_181130.thumb.jpg.92184dc74542269c7bdb46fa2914a811.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stelios said:

It's been a very unusually cold and wet winter and maybe the coldest March that I remember. A friend told me that they said from our meteo department that it was the coldest March the last 35 years. The coconut had more leaf burn this winter but it looks like it will be OK. It's opening a new frond also affected by the cold but the spear looks good.

Nice cat! Indeed this March was crazy. In Athens it was 4C colder than normal on average. It snowed twice! If your coconut survived this March I believe it can survive anything. Was it totally unprotected again?

previously known as ego

8 minutes ago, ego said:

Nice cat! Indeed this March was crazy. In Athens it was 4C colder than normal on average. It snowed twice! If your coconut survived this March I believe it can survive anything. Was it totally unprotected again?

Yes, it's totally unprotected. Of course is planted south facing so it gets some wind protection from the house and the big schefflera. It's only affected from some wind from the east and north east in the winter. The cold wind can damage the leaves and kill this palm. I have some plants growing around hoping to block more wind in the future. It's just an experiment so I will not protect it like when it was smaller. If it will not make it I will replace it with something else.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stelios said:

It's not even thaat damaged! It will thrive even more this year and the leaves will recover in some months and they'll be completely green again. ;)

• Like 2

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

You have a lovely cat!:mellow:

Hopefully the coconut puts out some nice new leaves through the rest of Spring and the Summer.

The damage might leave the palm more susceptible to red palm weevil - so some preventative treatment for that would protect it.