Sign in to follow this  
Alicehunter2000

Syagrus x Jubea & Butia x Lytocarium

Alicehunter2000

Does anyone have these two hybrids and can you show pics? Thanks (not Jubea x Syagrus)

RJ

I've got a strap BXLyto not much to look at currently. 

I can snap a pic, bit of an ugly duckling currently IMO

Edited by RJ
  • Upvote 1

Alicehunter2000

RJ....do you have a feel for what size palm it will become? width/height?

Matt N- Dallas

syagrus x jubaea- not the best pic.  That was taken in June, it grew out a lot late in the year.  It’s been slower growing than jubaea x syagrus. 

6B6FA117-AD78-4B8E-AFD8-5A123E66C8B4.jpeg

Edited by Matt N- Dallas
  • Upvote 5

Matt N- Dallas

butia x lyto- this was a strap leaf seedling in April of 2015.  It took off this year and doubled in size.  It resembles a smaller, slender butiagrus.  

3EC3AC5E-005A-4B02-A927-DCC39BA282E0.jpeg

• Upvote 5

Alicehunter2000

Wow! Those are both great looking hybrids.  Would you take a pic of your JxS for comparison....we're they all the same size when you got them?

You probaby have the largest example of these two hybrids anywhere.

Matt N- Dallas

Thank you.  I obtained them at different times from Patric- all strap leaf seedlings. The SxJ is at least 6-7 yrs old- I’ll have to look up when I bought it.  The JxS I bought the same time as SxJ was MUCH faster growing.  It grew in-ground in Dallas, then transplanted to San Marcos.  It grew rapidly there, then was killed by the evil rhino beetle!  I have a younger JxS with a different leaf form - I’ll have to take a pic of it.  

• Upvote 1

RJ
On 12/21/2018, 6:17:54, Alicehunter2000 said:

RJ....do you have a feel for what size palm it will become? width/height?

Sorry I neglected to reply to this. David, I certainly think it's going to be smaller then a typical B X S, i'ts strap leaf's are smaller and much coarser then a typical mule. As I noted it another thread mine looks difference then Matt's for sure as a strap leaf. When I spoke with Patric I don't think there is a mature specimen of any of these, and as you noted Matt may have the largest B X L.w . 

Edited by RJ
  • Upvote 1

RJ

This is a pic of Ben in Norcal's B X L.w that he posted awhile back. I saved to for reference. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it. :greenthumb:

Butia X Lycto.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Alicehunter2000

So little room left in my yard that the BxL would probably be the ticket for a courtyard palm. Interesting that SxJ would be slower than the reverse. 

If B. odorata gets 30ft. and Lytocarium weds get 10ft. And Lytocariem is the pollen doner....maybe the hybrid will max out at 20ft. ? ....would probably take a long time ...thinking of putting it here

20181223_111059.jpg

• Upvote 1

Alicehunter2000

If you look at the bottom you can see a L. hoene ...there are tworse small L. weds there too ....very slow...not enough water or good soil. Going to move them into pots. 

RJ
2 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

So little room left in my yard that the BxL would probably be the ticket for a courtyard palm. Interesting that SxJ would be slower than the reverse. 

If B. odorata gets 30ft. and Lytocarium weds get 10ft. And Lytocariem is the pollen doner....maybe the hybrid will max out at 20ft. ? ....would probably take a long time ...thinking of putting it here

20181223_111059.jpg

I love planters next pools. When we install ours I certainly plan to include them. We don't typically screen in pools up here, but I know it's common in your neck of the woods. My cousin in Pensacola has his pool screened in. I don't recall how high it was but certainly not 20ft.... 

• Upvote 1

Alicehunter2000

BxL almost to fat for this area.....I don't know .... maybe not a good spot.... C. crinita might be cool looking since the area gets cold protection anyways?