IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silas_Sancona

Awhile back, while taking a Google Earth tour in search of examples of Coconut specimens growing at higher altitudes,.. among other stuff, i came across some examples of both Roystonea ( assuming regia.. perhaps not??) and Royal Poinciana ( Delonix regia) growing in the Villas De Iraputo, a large resort-ish development located roughly due west of Irapuato Mexico in Guanajuato State. Elevation within the  developed neighborhoods there range between 5,700-6,200' in elevation.

While 5,500 ft at 20deg N. is far different than similar elevation further north, was still surprised to see such things as Ficus benj. ( Commonest *tree* in the street medians, even in parts of the Villas above 6,000 ft ), Queen palms, Washingtonia (likely robustra), some species of Albizia ( possibly Hesperalbizia occidentalis ) Jacaranda, and of course both Royals and other tropical stuff growing at an altitude equal to,  ...or higher than Truckee, CA. (Imagine trying to grow anything i just mentioned there, or on the south shore of Lake Tahoe, which is roughly only 209 ft higher than the highest spot i could spot both Royal Palms, and Royal Poinciana. 

Thinking on what i'd located for a sec, it begs a couple questions:

* Just how high in altitude can either grow..

* Where are they..

Yes, of course i saved a couple pictures to share.. 

Via / credits going to Google Earth. While dated back to 2012 in both locations, you can see that both Royals are still there today from above.. Search around nearby and you see other royals..and royals.. with more recent street updates ( 2017, i believe) Couldn't find any Coconuts here though;)

Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia) at 6,041 ft.
5c19b6a1cfc9c_RoyalPoinciana(IraputoMexi

Roystonea sp. ( pos. regia?) also at 6,059 ft. Just up the street.
5c19b689bce1e_RoyalPalm(IraputoMexico).j

• Upvote 2