IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Polar Vortex on the Way?

PalmatierMeg

45.5° here, not bad. Tonight seems to be trending warmer and then off to the races for a warm spell that gets us into mid-February if the current thinking holds. Of course, the forecast comes without a warranty.

I lived up in the Great White North for most of my adult life. I used to travel to manufacturers for my job, and the parking lots had overhead wires with plugs hanging down so workers could plug their cars in during their shifts. I miss the snow sometimes, but I don't miss the cold. On the other hand I lived in the tropics for six years and I got tired of the constant heat. I like this bit of Florida, because you get a short reprieve, but I am ready for the heat again!

Edited by Hombre de Palmas

35 minutes ago, Hombre de Palmas said:

45.5° here, not bad. Tonight seems to be trending warmer and then off to the races for a warm spell that gets us into mid-February if the current thinking holds. Of course, the forecast comes without a warranty.

I lived up in the Great White North for most of my adult life. I used to travel to manufacturers for my job, and the parking lots had overhead wires with plugs hanging down so workers could plug their cars in during their shifts. I miss the snow sometimes, but I don't miss the cold. On the other hand I lived in the tropics for six years and I got tired of the constant heat. I like this bit of Florida, because you get a short reprieve, but I am ready for the heat again!

Yeah I just visited Moscow and loved the snow, but I'm sure it gets old when you have to shovel it five months out of the year.

Brevard County, Fl

I looked forward to a White Christmas (and sometimes a White Thanksgiving or Halloween) but after the Holidays, my wife and I would be getting ready for work, in the dark, 20°F below zero, having our coffee, and realize that there would be 4-1/2 more months before we received any semblance of spring. That was harsh!

1 hour ago, Hombre de Palmas said:

I looked forward to a White Christmas (and sometimes a White Thanksgiving or Halloween) but after the Holidays, my wife and I would be getting ready for work, in the dark, 20°F below zero, having our coffee, and realize that there would be 4-1/2 more months before we received any semblance of spring. That was harsh!

Agreed. Been there done that. It gets old, especially getting dark at 3:30 in the afternoon. Don't miss it one but. Talked to my old neighbor this morning. High yesterday was 6 with 25 mph winds. 

1 hour ago, Hombre de Palmas said:

Although I'm young and enjoy interesting weather, I agree that places like upper Michigan, the Dakota's, Iowa, or even Chicago are a quite extreme winter-wise (similar to where it sounds like you came from). When I lived in St. Louis, it was a great all-around 4 seasons climate. We got snow infrequently enough (the 3 years we lived there you could usually count on one hand how many times there was appreciable accumulation) that it was fun when it did. And it was never cold enough to be really that bone chilling (never any subzero temps at least while we were there, although I do know it happens occasionally). I find it interesting how many people go from one extreme to the other (like Michigan to FL) and then complain about the heat in Central or South FL (which is still not even the real tropics). Much of the deep south has a great "muted" 4 seasons with mostly snow-less winters that I feel many northern transplants would be happier in than the sweltering subtropics. And then if one did want a little snow, they could go to Tennessee or somewhere in the upper South. 

56 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Although I'm young and enjoy interesting weather, I agree that places like upper Michigan, the Dakota's, Iowa, or even Chicago are a quite extreme winter-wise (similar to where it sounds like you came from). When I lived in St. Louis, it was a great all-around 4 seasons climate. We got snow infrequently enough (the 3 years we lived there you could usually count on one hand how many times there was appreciable accumulation) that it was fun when it did. And it was never cold enough to be really that bone chilling (never any subzero temps at least while we were there, although I do know it happens occasionally). I find it interesting how many people go from one extreme to the other (like Michigan to FL) and then complain about the heat in Central or South FL (which is still not even the real tropics). Much of the deep south has a great "muted" 4 seasons with mostly snow-less winters that I feel many northern transplants would be happier in than the sweltering subtropics. And then if one did want a little snow, they could go to Tennessee or somewhere in the upper South. 

What you say makes a lot of sense, but I like it here because I love palms & tropical plantings. While it is not the same as the tropics, it's pretty close. I still have family up north and we can go there for holiday snow, but my wife who has lost ALL taste for cold and snow has stamped her feet and counted to three. If I press the issue, I will be in serious deficit in our account ledger, so I will need to look for a good excuse one of these years to enjoy a White Christmas.

45F overnight just as predicted. 59F as I write this. 48F predicted tonight. Then a gradual warmup. Over the next 10 days through 2/11 temps will rise to 70s/50s. By then the chances of a freeze should be minuscule. A chilly winter but not bitterly cold one and I'm happy with that.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

6 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

45F overnight just as predicted. 59F as I write this. 48F predicted tonight. Then a gradual warmup. Over the next 10 days through 2/11 temps will rise to 70s/50s. By then the chances of a freeze should be minuscule. A chilly winter but not bitterly cold one and I'm happy with that.

43 with frost on the roofs on Pine Island this morning

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

3 hours ago, Steve the palmreader said:

43 with frost on the roofs on Pine Island this morning

Ended up with 42.4F here at the old homestead vs. 39F at the airport.  A small amount of ice on the windshield.  Decided not to cover the coconuts since the temperature wasn't dropping as fast as it normally does when we go into the 30s.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Looks like many coastal areas in the Panhandle finally got to freezing (although not every location). I never thought I'd see the day where parts of Okaloosa and Walton County barely even or didn't make it to freezing in the month of January... Is this Orlando!?

719289131_Jan30morning.PNG.091d0ed0e29c8c2aff0bfd508049ce62.PNG

Edited by Opal92

3 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Looks like many coastal areas in the Panhandle finally got to freezing (although not every location). I never thought I'd see the day where parts of Okaloosa and Walton County barely even or didn't make it to freezing in the month of January... Is this Orlando!?

With very mild temperatures in forecast till mid February, I think it's safe to say the winter for Florida is over. :) Recorded 33.6F last night. 10A winter for coastal panhandle. Only two degrees away from 10B. Darn!. Maybe next winter. :D And 9B winter for inland panhandle.

Yes, areas like Seaside-Rosemary Beach went to 31F(still within zone10A). They are consistently always a couple of degrees cooler on cold nights than areas to the west and east of them. This is something I noticed already last winter and this winter as well. Not sure why that is. But it could be that those areas don't have a large Bay to the north of them like Destin and western side of Santa Rosa Beach do.

1.jpg

• Like 1

With the warmup coming and the longer days the threat of a killing freeze is over as far as I am concerned.  I don't even have a 10b palm and so far its been a low of 41F and 43 a few times, a Zone 11 winter.  This will help the palms that are still recovering after Irma.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

-6 F here this morning, only about 1 F now... we still fared much better than Iowa, Chicago, etc. where it got well into the negative double-digits!

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

On the other side of the Atlantic, I am on course for my lowest temperature of this winter as well, with possible lows down to -5C (22F) tonight. 

All the smaller potted plants and palms are coming indoors, as I don't want to chance it. I definitely don't want their roots freezing in the pots. Especially my Washingtonia & Cordylines. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Wow, look out pnw gardeners, looks like there is a good chance we will have a 24hr below freeze this coming Monday. It still some time away so maybe we'll get lucky and go above freezing during the day, but if it doesn't could be seeing 20f - 23F for a low Monday night.  Stay tuned. 

Edited by Palm crazy

1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

Wow, look out pnw gardeners, looks like there is a good chance we will have a 24hr below freeze this coming Monday. It still some time away so maybe we'll get lucky and go above freezing during the day, but if it doesn't could be seeing 20f - 23F for a low Monday night.  Stay tuned. 

Here's a weather forecast blog that mentions what California, Oregon and Washington can expect over the next few days: http://weatherwest.com/archives/6626

57 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Here's a weather forecast blog that mentions what California, Oregon and Washington can expect over the next few days: http://weatherwest.com/archives/6626

Very interesting and telling for sure. All this fall/winter the coldest weather has been the first week of every month and then its mild. If this clipper hits us with snow the snow might keep things warmer. The last time we had a major snowstorm, with lots of rain and cold, the temperature only when down to 30f. But this one is not one of those, lol. Time will surely tell. 

• Like 1

Currently in Ohio it's zero with the stratosphere, according to the Weather Service, sitting about 4000 feet above ground level.  Unheard of.  And then next week in the 50's.  If you don't like the weather in the Midwest, wait a couple minutes.

Low of 20F here last night. Looks like the coldest night of the year by far, with a warming trend starting this weekend as we come out of winter and head into Spring. I'm glad to get this period over with, as the past 2 weeks have been very cold, although nowhere near the level of cold the mid-west US has seen. 

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

23 hours ago, pin38 said:

-6 F here this morning, only about 1 F now... we still fared much better than Iowa, Chicago, etc. where it got well into the negative double-digits!

That's pretty good! I haven't left my house in two days :blush:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

These two maps for North America and Australia pretty much sum up the current cold-hot temperature situation... :bummed:

NorthAmerica.png

Australia.png

Yeah winter in the north and summer in the south LOL

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

9 hours ago, ActualTrachycarpus said:

That's pretty good! I haven't left my house in two days :blush:

Yeah I couldn't believe some of those temps it got down to. 34 degrees here today, felt pretty balmy. Supposed to get into the 60s this Sunday...

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

4 hours ago, Steve the palmreader said:

Yeah winter in the north and summer in the south LOL

Opposite seasons are the normal pattern for the two hemispheres.  It's the temperature extremes in the weather that are so unusual. :bummed:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

Opposite seasons are the normal pattern for the two hemispheres.  It's the temperature extremes in the weather that are so unusual. :bummed:

Where can I find those cool 3D maps? Thanks

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

20 hours ago, pin38 said:

Yeah I couldn't believe some of those temps it got down to. 34 degrees here today, felt pretty balmy. Supposed to get into the 60s this Sunday...

Shorts weather! I am only supposed to get to 45F but still pretty warm.

Snow yesterday and a low of 18F forecast here tonight, which is by far the coldest weather this winter. But thankfully it is warming up significantly come Monday with a low of only 50F forecast for Tuesday night. A massive turnaround and hopefully the end of mid-winter, with spring now on the horizon.

• 2 weeks later...

In the wake of this year's polar vortex event, here's an article on the February 1899 Cold Snap (anniversary was yesterday) and the wind chills experienced.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbrettschneider/2019/02/04/great-1899-cold-snap-wind-chills/#d3780cf1d67c

Here are some of the lows experienced in different cities in FL

1899.thumb.PNG.477ece171f5a0ebb16083501d178b9bf.PNG