IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ant Control

ghar41

I have had good luck over the years making Borax baits to control ants. It keeps them away for extended periods. Recently I had an infestation in my bathroom.   I put out some attractants to find out what they were looking for and was shocked  to find out they have no interest in sugar, honey or peanut butter. Anyone seen this with Argentine Ants or other?

36FCCDC1-A8ED-4B9D-A1BA-BF8029B0E55F.jpeg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

3 minutes ago, ghar41 said:

I have had good luck over the years making Borax baits to control ants. It keeps them away for extended periods. Recently I had an infestation in my bathroom.   I put out some attractants to find out what they were looking for and was shocked  to find out they have no interest in sugar, honey or peanut butter. Anyone seen this with Argentine Ants or other?

36FCCDC1-A8ED-4B9D-A1BA-BF8029B0E55F.jpeg

Yes,  depending on the species, some will gravitate toward proteins / fatty foods, or even fungus over sweets.  That being said, even those which prefer a protein source, will eat other things if such a source isn't available.. I think Argentine, ..and Pavement Ants are considered "Sugar Ants while others, like Thief, or Big Headed Ants prefer meats / fatty protein sources.. Surprised the Peanut butter isn't attracting them, figured that would be the best of both food sources ( sweet / fatty).

In this case, maybe the ants are fat and happy, and not currently interested in anything more to eat..  You could also try something like dry dog / cat food if you have any around, just to see if that tempts them..

• 2 weeks later...

In dry California, I wonder if the ants are looking for water? Sometimes they inhabit potted plants outdoors, laying eggs among the cool, damp roots. I had a heck of a time with ants this summer invading the house, but the only thing I could see them go for was the dry cat food; then with no cat food around, they continued to explore all over the kitchen and the rest of the house. I put out commercial baits, which they tested, but weren't excited about, and continued to make their daily explorations. I tried food grade diatomaceous earth at their entry points, but that didn't deter them. Then one day they suddenly disappeared and haven't been back... yet. Maybe they found a more reliable source of cat food. :rolleyes:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I have lived in the same house for 38 years, but the Argentine ants now are the worst we have ever experienced.  Even upstairs in our third floor bathroom ! 

San Francisco, California

I had ants galore throughout my yard, house, and garden, then about 5 years ago I treated the perimeter of my house with TERMIDOR.....I have not seen an ant since.

• Upvote 1

Hi Everyone, thanks for the comments.  Yes, many years ago, it was suggested to me to use Thermador.  I applied it around my house and I didn’t see an Argentine ant for over three years.  Not a single one!  I am hesitant to use pesticides around the house anymore.  

Anyway, update... it took a full two weeks but apparently the first application of bait I made with table sugar was taken by enough ants...that particular area is no longer infested. I’m sure they’ll be back.   

Argentine ants are survival machines.  

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 2 weeks later...

I use something called Chinese Chalk that someone gave me from Chinatown.  It has never failed me.  I wear gloves (the chemicals are written with Chinese characters)- so who knows what kind of toxins, and I just either leave a stick of chalk out, but, have also just drawn a chalk mark.  It has never failed.  I just used last week.  I wipe down with soap & water, but, am uncertain if that eliminates the toxins.  I would never use in the kitchen areas near food preparation.  Cecile

• 3 months later...

This ant poison work real well for me in Hawaii for red fire ants but the little brown Argentina ants in California are on a whole Nother level.  I like using soapy water in a spray bottle but that only kills on contact.

4F419783-0CFA-429A-802D-0A9D28BC3EDB.jpeg

Termidor is the best but just spraying around the outside of your whole house is not necessary and can potentially be dangerous to the environment.  Any small amount of water that gets on where you've sprayed and now makes a small pool has the potential of killing every bee hive within a several mile radius if a few worker bees decide to drink from that poisonous pool.  The entire hive will die with one bee getting termidor on it.  That shit is not to be messed with.  May I suggest that you only spot treat directly onto any ant trails you see.  Find a section of their trail that's away from any potential foraging bees and simply wet down a small section of the ants in the trail.  Like only 6" or so.  Within a day that entire colony will be dead.  Do that each time you see ants and pretty soon you'll be left with a huge bottle of Termidor and nothing to use it on because you'll have no more ants.  And you've sprayed responsibly.  Peace.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)