Sign in to follow this  
ghar41

Ant Control

ghar41

I have had good luck over the years making Borax baits to control ants. It keeps them away for extended periods. Recently I had an infestation in my bathroom.   I put out some attractants to find out what they were looking for and was shocked  to find out they have no interest in sugar, honey or peanut butter. Anyone seen this with Argentine Ants or other?

36FCCDC1-A8ED-4B9D-A1BA-BF8029B0E55F.jpeg

Silas_Sancona
3 minutes ago, ghar41 said:

I have had good luck over the years making Borax baits to control ants. It keeps them away for extended periods. Recently I had an infestation in my bathroom.   I put out some attractants to find out what they were looking for and was shocked  to find out they have no interest in sugar, honey or peanut butter. Anyone seen this with Argentine Ants or other?

36FCCDC1-A8ED-4B9D-A1BA-BF8029B0E55F.jpeg

Yes,  depending on the species, some will gravitate toward proteins / fatty foods, or even fungus over sweets.  That being said, even those which prefer a protein source, will eat other things if such a source isn't available.. I think Argentine, ..and Pavement Ants are considered "Sugar Ants while others, like Thief, or Big Headed Ants prefer meats / fatty protein sources.. Surprised the Peanut butter isn't attracting them, figured that would be the best of both food sources ( sweet / fatty).

In this case, maybe the ants are fat and happy, and not currently interested in anything more to eat..  You could also try something like dry dog / cat food if you have any around, just to see if that tempts them..

Kim

In dry California, I wonder if the ants are looking for water? Sometimes they inhabit potted plants outdoors, laying eggs among the cool, damp roots. I had a heck of a time with ants this summer invading the house, but the only thing I could see them go for was the dry cat food; then with no cat food around, they continued to explore all over the kitchen and the rest of the house. I put out commercial baits, which they tested, but weren't excited about, and continued to make their daily explorations. I tried food grade diatomaceous earth at their entry points, but that didn't deter them. Then one day they suddenly disappeared and haven't been back... yet. Maybe they found a more reliable source of cat food. :rolleyes:

Darold Petty

I have lived in the same house for 38 years, but the Argentine ants now are the worst we have ever experienced.  Even upstairs in our third floor bathroom ! 

steve99

I had ants galore throughout my yard, house, and garden, then about 5 years ago I treated the perimeter of my house with TERMIDOR.....I have not seen an ant since.

• Upvote 1

ghar41

Hi Everyone, thanks for the comments.  Yes, many years ago, it was suggested to me to use Thermador.  I applied it around my house and I didn’t see an Argentine ant for over three years.  Not a single one!  I am hesitant to use pesticides around the house anymore.  

Anyway, update... it took a full two weeks but apparently the first application of bait I made with table sugar was taken by enough ants...that particular area is no longer infested. I’m sure they’ll be back.   

Argentine ants are survival machines.  

SHEP

I use something called Chinese Chalk that someone gave me from Chinatown.  It has never failed me.  I wear gloves (the chemicals are written with Chinese characters)- so who knows what kind of toxins, and I just either leave a stick of chalk out, but, have also just drawn a chalk mark.  It has never failed.  I just used last week.  I wipe down with soap & water, but, am uncertain if that eliminates the toxins.  I would never use in the kitchen areas near food preparation.  Cecile

Gonzer

Optigard gel.