Sign in to follow this  
kinzyjr

Seeds: Arenga Engleri

kinzyjr

Seeds of arenga engleri for sale.  Seeds were acquired and cleaned very recently.  Offering them in three denominations:

• $8 per 50
  • $7 per 25
  • $6 per 10

Will ship within the USA only and take payment through PayPal.  PM for details, please.

20181212_173419_ArengaEngleri_Seeds_1600.jpg

kinzyjr

200 down, ~800 more to go if anyone else needs any. 

The good stuff about this palm:

• A pinnate palm that can grow in 8b/9a type areas.
  • It loves overhead canopy and sheltered areas; easy to protect in marginal climates.
  • Nice looking and smelling flowers with bright colored fruit.
  • A single flower stalk has both male and female flowers (one stem can produce seed).
  • Fruit can have between 1 and 4 seeds.  (The Palmpedia page says between 1 and 3, but I did get one fruit with 4.)
  • Has a thin trunk (~6 inches) and is a clustering palm.

More info + photos: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Arenga_engleri

kinzyjr

Another 125 leaving today, but plenty more if anyone still wants any.  Answers to a few questions:

• Price is inclusive of shipping within the shipping area (CONUS) for the denominations in the original post.
  • Yes, I'd consider selling the currently unclaimed seeds (currently 500+) as a bulk order with a lower cost per seed.  That would require a different, more expensive shipping method.

Thanks to all have inquired!

Fusca
On 12/12/2018, 5:11:22, kinzyjr said:

Seeds of arenga engleri for sale.

I've recently collected several of these seeds and have not had good success germinating them in the past.  Do you have any germination tips for these?

Jon

kinzyjr

@Fusca

This is actually my first rodeo with these seeds.  Perhaps some of the other members growing them have more information.  I have heard that they lose viability pretty quickly.

I'm going to try 25 from the batch I've been selling in a community pot with bottom heat.

Fusca
2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Fusca

This is actually my first rodeo with these seeds.  Perhaps some of the other members growing them have more information.  I have heard that they lose viability pretty quickly.

I'm going to try 25 from the batch I've been selling in a community pot with bottom heat.

One thing that I learned after previous attempts was the ripe color of the fruit.  I had collected fruit from a tree that had mostly yellow with some orange (and some had fallen from the tree) and assumed that the orange ones were ripe.  It turns out that they then turn red and then purple/black.  I was told that this is when they are ripe when the fruit is almost black, but not 100% sure on this.  As a test I collected different colored fruits back in Sep but no germination yet.  I'm trying baggies and community pot methods with bottom heat.  Hope you (we) get some germination but it might take awhile!  :asleep: 

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

@Fusca

The fruit that I bought was reddish/purple, so I figured it was ripe.  We shall see.  I've heard of some seeds of this species taking 2 years to come up while others taking only a few weeks.  Time will tell I guess.

The Steve

I’ve gotten good germination, in the past in my Mediterranean climate.  Peat/Perlite/ambient temp/shade.  They tend to sprout, with little care, but I don’t remember much more than that.  I pot them up in a one gallon pot, and set an empty one on top, to retain moisture.

• Upvote 2

TexasColdHardyPalms

Ive always had great success with arenga seeds. Some of the easiest to germinate.

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

Went to check my own stash and had some that were ready:

20190216_110346_ArengaEngleri_1600.jpg

• Like 4

kinzyjr

My apologies for those who asked after the recent update on germination.  I'm out of seeds at this point.  Thanks to everyone that was interested!

Estlander
On 2/16/2019 at 9:54 PM, kinzyjr said:

Went to check my own stash and had some that were ready:

20190216_110346_ArengaEngleri_1600.jpg

Do you remember how long it’s been since you started germinating these seeds?

kinzyjr

@Estlander I started them in the soil on 12/13/2018.

• Like 1