TomJ

Burretiokentia Hapala California

TomJ

These have been in the ground From FB 1 gallons for 10 years now.

Trouble free growers.

Started out in a lot of sun but since getting shaded out.

5c0da4f993d3a_PC090987(Large).thumb.jpegNice color in the crown shafts after re5c0da4f993d3a_PC090987(Large).thumb.jpeg5c0da4f993d3a_PC090987(Large).thumb.jpegmoving sheaths.

PC090983 (Large).jpeg

PC090985 (Large).jpeg

PC090986 (Large).jpeg

• Upvote 17

joe_OC

Nice palms, Tom!  Definitely a winner for Southern California.  Is it OK to post pics of mine?

Edited by joe_OC
  • Upvote 1

TomJ
18 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Nice palms, Tom!

Thank You...  10 years and you blink... wow they've grown

• Upvote 1

TomJ

Please Post pics. 

Lens is really nice

DoomsDave
1 hour ago, TomJ said:

Thank You...  10 years and you blink... wow they've grown

Like life

TomJ
2 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Inline image

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Beautiful!!

How long in ground?

From what size?

• Upvote 1

joe_OC

It’s been in the ground 10 years from a 15 gal.  

Tracy
54 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

It’s been in the ground 10 years from a 15 gal.  

You must be getting plenty of these but any viable seed?

20181128-104A1690.jpg

• Upvote 3

joe_OC
4 minutes ago, Tracy said:

You must be getting plenty of these but any viable seed?

20181128-104A1690.jpg

Not yet.

LJG

Joe, once you do get flowers, they will set seed. Maybe 1 in every 4 flowers will. I have seedlings popping up in the garden from mine. That’s always a cool thing to see.

Tom, you have some awesome palms in your yard. Your bottle palm is one of the nicest around in SoCal.  

Jim in Los Altos

They're a great palm for California. I've had three in the ground for four years up here in the Bay Area and the shaded ones do best. 

• Upvote 1

TomJ
9 hours ago, LJG said:

Joe, once you do get flowers, they will set seed. Maybe 1 in every 4 flowers will. I have seedlings popping up in the garden from mine. That’s always a cool thing to see.

Tom, you have some awesome palms in your yard. Your bottle palm is one of the nicest around in SoCal.  

Speaking of nice Len lets see a picture of your Hapala.  The gold standard for happy palm.

gilles06

Nice palm. Is it ok with hot dry summers?

TomJ
2 hours ago, gilles06 said:

Nice palm. Is it ok with hot dry summers?

We are very dry here, but mine always have wet feet.

Clay soil holds the moisture as well.

Hardiest of the Burretiokentia for here I think. I have many others growing but not much to look at yet.

• Upvote 1

gilles06

Ok good report, seems to be a good candidate for my garden ;)

Tracy
On 12/9/2018, 9:55:27, LJG said:

Len, have you noticed what the pollinator is on these in Southern California, or do you do something by hand?  Other than a few ants, I haven't noticed any bees around the flowers, which are now dropping off.  The photo below was one of the inflorescence last month at the end of Autumn.

20181216-104A1929.jpg

• Upvote 1

LJG
3 hours ago, Tracy said:

Len, have you noticed what the pollinator is on these in Southern California, or do you do something by hand?  Other than a few ants, I haven't noticed any bees around the flowers, which are now dropping off.  The photo below was one of the inflorescence last month at the end of Autumn.

20181216-104A1929.jpg

Bees. The odd thing is they don’t show up on every inflorescence like a Dypsis flower for example. 

• Upvote 1

TomJ

Len let's see yours. I remember if was beefy

LJG

Love the flowers on this palm. 

60A97F15-26BC-4F5F-9E3F-730EAA268A74.jpeg

65DD3B39-C231-46BA-AA56-90492CE4C2F2.jpeg

• Upvote 7

realarch

Dreadlocks.......love em.

Tim

KrisKupsch

It’s a beautiful palm and the seed germinates incredibly reliably. I collected off three local trees a couple years ago thinking I might get poor germination but I think every seed came up. I have certainly a thousand seedlings from the collection and none have died upon potting up. I hope to share them all through this region of far NE NSW, Australia as B.hapala is easy to grow, just slow at first but it matures with only a short trunk as photos ^ show. The tree is very ornamental and I have never seen old specimens but it appears the species doesn’t grow very tall and is well suited to public places where other Palms like Archontophoenix just end up being a tall pole whilst B.hapala can be enjoyed closer to the ground level. As I live where lots of hippies live too, the name “Rasta Palm” or “Dreadlock Palm” provokes many an alternative person to plant a few ! Enjoy