IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Burretiokentia Hapala California

TomJ

These have been in the ground From FB 1 gallons for 10 years now.

Trouble free growers.

Started out in a lot of sun but since getting shaded out.

5c0da4f993d3a_PC090987(Large).thumb.jpegNice color in the crown shafts after re5c0da4f993d3a_PC090987(Large).thumb.jpeg5c0da4f993d3a_PC090987(Large).thumb.jpegmoving sheaths.

PC090983 (Large).jpeg

PC090985 (Large).jpeg

PC090986 (Large).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 18

Nice palms, Tom!  Definitely a winner for Southern California.  Is it OK to post pics of mine?

Edited by joe_OC
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

18 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Nice palms, Tom!

Thank You...  10 years and you blink... wow they've grown

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TomJ said:

Thank You...  10 years and you blink... wow they've grown

Like life

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Inline image

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Beautiful!!

How long in ground?

From what size?

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

It’s been in the ground 10 years from a 15 gal.  

You must be getting plenty of these but any viable seed?

20181128-104A1690.jpg

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

4 minutes ago, Tracy said:

You must be getting plenty of these but any viable seed?

20181128-104A1690.jpg

Not yet.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Joe, once you do get flowers, they will set seed. Maybe 1 in every 4 flowers will. I have seedlings popping up in the garden from mine. That’s always a cool thing to see.

Tom, you have some awesome palms in your yard. Your bottle palm is one of the nicest around in SoCal.  

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

They're a great palm for California. I've had three in the ground for four years up here in the Bay Area and the shaded ones do best. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

9 hours ago, LJG said:

Joe, once you do get flowers, they will set seed. Maybe 1 in every 4 flowers will. I have seedlings popping up in the garden from mine. That’s always a cool thing to see.

Tom, you have some awesome palms in your yard. Your bottle palm is one of the nicest around in SoCal.  

Speaking of nice Len lets see a picture of your Hapala.  The gold standard for happy palm.

Nice palm. Is it ok with hot dry summers?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

2 hours ago, gilles06 said:

Nice palm. Is it ok with hot dry summers?

We are very dry here, but mine always have wet feet.

Clay soil holds the moisture as well.

Hardiest of the Burretiokentia for here I think. I have many others growing but not much to look at yet.

• Upvote 1

Ok good report, seems to be a good candidate for my garden ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018, 9:55:27, LJG said:

Len, have you noticed what the pollinator is on these in Southern California, or do you do something by hand?  Other than a few ants, I haven't noticed any bees around the flowers, which are now dropping off.  The photo below was one of the inflorescence last month at the end of Autumn.

20181216-104A1929.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

Len, have you noticed what the pollinator is on these in Southern California, or do you do something by hand?  Other than a few ants, I haven't noticed any bees around the flowers, which are now dropping off.  The photo below was one of the inflorescence last month at the end of Autumn.

20181216-104A1929.jpg

Bees. The odd thing is they don’t show up on every inflorescence like a Dypsis flower for example. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...

Love the flowers on this palm. 

60A97F15-26BC-4F5F-9E3F-730EAA268A74.jpeg

65DD3B39-C231-46BA-AA56-90492CE4C2F2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

It’s a beautiful palm and the seed germinates incredibly reliably. I collected off three local trees a couple years ago thinking I might get poor germination but I think every seed came up. I have certainly a thousand seedlings from the collection and none have died upon potting up. I hope to share them all through this region of far NE NSW, Australia as B.hapala is easy to grow, just slow at first but it matures with only a short trunk as photos ^ show. The tree is very ornamental and I have never seen old specimens but it appears the species doesn’t grow very tall and is well suited to public places where other Palms like Archontophoenix just end up being a tall pole whilst B.hapala can be enjoyed closer to the ground level. As I live where lots of hippies live too, the name “Rasta Palm” or “Dreadlock Palm” provokes many an alternative person to plant a few ! Enjoy 

• 1 year later...

I just picked one of these up. How much sun can they take? I’m in south Florida. 

From my experience, they like to “grow into the sun” from shade.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

22 hours ago, Plantaddiction21 said:

I just picked one of these up. How much sun can they take? I’m in south Florida. 

I don't think the sun is the big problem with these in S. FL. For me it has been soil, they do not like coral rock. Also seem to be very sensitive to field dig, my field grown ones croaked fairly promptly and efficiently. I finally have three going from pots and in either topsoil/sand mix or if in rock with extreme organics added. Vieillardii has been the same, half a dozen sacrificial goats to get 2 established. Grandiflora never made it out of the pots, salt from Irma got them.