IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yellowing ParajubaeaxButia

Justin

I transplanted this palm into a large pot maybe 6-8 months ago.  It transplanted like a champ, with no slowdown, no dying fronds, nothing.  [I cut back a few fronds as a precaution, and I wonder whether that was even necessary.]  Since I potted the palm, its put out 3-4 new fronds, and is growing just fine.

But in the last couple weeks I noticed it is losing a lot of its green, slowly fading into a yellow green across all fronds (new and old).  My initial take is that it needs some nitrogen.  But before I do that, any other things I should be on the lookout for?

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Did you repot using the same medium or something different?  I had a Butia act somewhat similarly after planting in the ground back in March, but it's hard to tell without photos.  My situation appears to be a reaction to the soil or something in it - applications of Palmgain fertilizer in July and Sept. didn't change anything yet but it continues to push out new growth.

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

It was in the ground at my old house, and I dug it out of the ground.  So now it's in potting soil instead of dirt.  I'm just surprised it's growing so well, yet yellowing nonetheless.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Probably just hates being in a pot. I just don't have success in pots on some species that do great in the ground....don't know why.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

18 hours ago, Fusca said:

Did you repot using the same medium or something different?  I had a Butia act somewhat similarly after planting in the ground back in March, but it's hard to tell without photos.  My situation appears to be a reaction to the soil or something in it - applications of Palmgain fertilizer in July and Sept. didn't change anything yet but it continues to push out new growth.

Jon

Very interesting, keep us apprised please.