Sign in to follow this  
Justin

Yellowing ParajubaeaxButia

Justin

I transplanted this palm into a large pot maybe 6-8 months ago.  It transplanted like a champ, with no slowdown, no dying fronds, nothing.  [I cut back a few fronds as a precaution, and I wonder whether that was even necessary.]  Since I potted the palm, its put out 3-4 new fronds, and is growing just fine.

But in the last couple weeks I noticed it is losing a lot of its green, slowly fading into a yellow green across all fronds (new and old).  My initial take is that it needs some nitrogen.  But before I do that, any other things I should be on the lookout for?

Justin

Any ideas???

Fusca

Did you repot using the same medium or something different?  I had a Butia act somewhat similarly after planting in the ground back in March, but it's hard to tell without photos.  My situation appears to be a reaction to the soil or something in it - applications of Palmgain fertilizer in July and Sept. didn't change anything yet but it continues to push out new growth.

Jon

• Upvote 1

Justin

It was in the ground at my old house, and I dug it out of the ground.  So now it's in potting soil instead of dirt.  I'm just surprised it's growing so well, yet yellowing nonetheless.

Alicehunter2000

Probably just hates being in a pot. I just don't have success in pots on some species that do great in the ground....don't know why.

Phoenikakias
18 hours ago, Fusca said:

Did you repot using the same medium or something different?  I had a Butia act somewhat similarly after planting in the ground back in March, but it's hard to tell without photos.  My situation appears to be a reaction to the soil or something in it - applications of Palmgain fertilizer in July and Sept. didn't change anything yet but it continues to push out new growth.

Jon

Very interesting, keep us apprised please.