Jump to content
piping plovers

Verschafeltia splendida and/or Hydriastele (Siphokentia) beguine as a houseplant?

Recommended Posts

GrumpyGrower
1 hour ago, Reynevan said:

What about watering? Is there any risk of overwatering this mix? Fertilisations appears to be problematic too.

Watering is kinda problematic because of very fast drainage. Frequency of watering should be high, in summer it could be also ever day, but you can keep some water in the box under the pots... Fertilisation isn’t problematic at all, you can use slow-release fertilizer and add it into the mix or (I prefer) to use water disposable fertilizer and water them with it every period of fertilization 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reynevan
28 minutes ago, GrumpyGrower said:

Watering is kinda problematic because of very fast drainage. Frequency of watering should be high, in summer it could be also ever day, but you can keep some water in the box under the pots... Fertilisation isn’t problematic at all, you can use slow-release fertilizer and add it into the mix or (I prefer) to use water disposable fertilizer and water them with it every period of fertilization 

Zeostrat + coco chips ordered. Wish me luck :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
piping plovers

I just received my 5 sprouted Verschafeltia seeds from Australia.  Appear to be really robust and healthy sprouts.  First time growing palms from seed.  And I finally get to try Verschafeltias after seeing them last December in FL for the first time.  Thanks for all your help/postings in this endeavor.

Photo of one of the seedlings below and then a few in their new pots.

1127940099_VerschafeltiaseedlingWP_20190624_18_19_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.072b1f78e31f4154b3c9de1d9bc44c63.jpg858772820_VerschafeltiapottedWP_20190624_18_32_09_Pro.thumb.jpg.1529802b2c20c99445a1e073219a5411.jpg 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Makaisland Palms

Nice!  I got some of the same ones.  We'll have to compare at the end of summer!  I've got mine in coconut, leica/vermiculite mix and perlite.   I've got them in the greenhouse normally, but as Europe is baking in a monster of a heat wave, Im just keeping wthem outside under some larger plants.

IMG_20190617_105002.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
piping plovers

Good to hear!  Yes, I'll post some pics end of summer.  Getting seeds already sprouted in a tropical climate (North Queensland, AU) certainly has its benefits.   We have not had the hot weather you are getting in Europe but at least the seeds arrived for our warm humid season and can get a good start in life before winter arrives.  My mix is similar yours, except I used some small pieces of orchid bark mix instead of the coconut fiber.

Anyone else looking for sprouted seeds, I got mine on eBay.  I believe the seller still has more available.  10 days shipping to my area and well-packed for the long journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reynevan

These are definitely fastest palms I've ever grown. I'm glad I've found this thread:) Will order more seeds for sure.
I wonder what are your experiences with overwintering Verschaffeltia indoors in pot? Is it any difficult? Can it be done without heat mat/ artificial lights?

 

Rafał

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GrumpyGrower

Update of my indoors Verschaffeltia, 2/3 I repoted from 2 to 7l pot.

 

there are 2 of them, one is still in 2l pot and in the front of them is Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, look how small it is in comparison with Verschaffeltia!

C4B97AC5-CD9F-408A-83A3-BAE08DB34912.thumb.jpeg.c8b112f4d3feddb25370d7fa4ef8dfd4.jpeg2E6BCF34-BCF7-474A-94BB-E04377C246D3.thumb.jpeg.200bc9a967327bf42997d074f1411316.jpeg

please make yours update of your palms too, thank you :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reynevan
1 hour ago, GrumpyGrower said:

Update of my indoors Verschaffeltia, 2/3 I repoted from 2 to 7l pot.

 

there are 2 of them, one is still in 2l pot and in the front of them is Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, look how small it is in comparison with Verschaffeltia!

C4B97AC5-CD9F-408A-83A3-BAE08DB34912.thumb.jpeg.c8b112f4d3feddb25370d7fa4ef8dfd4.jpeg2E6BCF34-BCF7-474A-94BB-E04377C246D3.thumb.jpeg.200bc9a967327bf42997d074f1411316.jpeg

please make yours update of your palms too, thank you :)

DO you still have seedling from the Thai dwarf variety?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GrumpyGrower
19 minutes ago, Reynevan said:

DO you still have seedling from the Thai dwarf variety?

I gave it to my friend, didn’t find anything special on it, just a little slower. Spines were same 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
piping plovers

Grumpy, did you start the Johannesteijsmannia altifrons and the Verschaffeltias at the same time?  Nice comparison on the differerence between growth rates!  I have not mastered this QUOTE function yet.  The Joeys are in no hurry it seems.

 

Edited by piping plovers
ooops hitthe send button before I entered text.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reynevan
On 6/27/2019 at 4:05 PM, Makaisland Palms said:

Nice!  I got some of the same ones.  We'll have to compare at the end of summer!  I've got mine in coconut, leica/vermiculite mix and perlite.   I've got them in the greenhouse normally, but as Europe is baking in a monster of a heat wave, Im just keeping wthem outside under some larger plants.

IMG_20190617_105002.jpg

Any progress here? :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Makaisland Palms

Yeah!  Huge growth actually!  Here's me standing next to one of them for scale.  

IMG_20190813_190413.jpg

IMG_20190813_185558.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
piping plovers
6 hours ago, Reynevan said:

Any progress here? :P

Well, I managed to kill with kindness 3 of my 5 seedlings.  Two remain.  Not sure what happened as they all received the same care and conditions.  They all had healthy roots when they arrived, but could not tell if the germinated tips were all alive.  The 3 rotted at the base where they joined with the seed.  The 2 remaining are pictured below 7 weeks after receiving and planting.  The two below began forming the spines and the other did not, that's when I could tell something was wrong with the others.  I guess you need to grow spines to survive life.

1102145808_Versseedlingsaug2019.thumb.jpg.8317b7bc68ac77b0a1445c8d7ce0e8fe.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
piping plovers
5 hours ago, Makaisland Palms said:

Yeah!  Huge growth actually!  Here's me standing next to one of them for scale.  

It is Huuuge standing next to you.  Almost Jurassic - Era in scale :)

With that scale I thought you were standing next to a Coco de Mer (Lodoicea maldivica) seedling!    

And thanks for the seedling photos, now I can know what to expect for the next stages in growth.  Are these approximately 12 weeks old?  

Edited by piping plovers
added text
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Makaisland Palms

I'm not sure on total age, I've had them for about 7 weeks, and I'd imagine it was at least a couple weeks old(germinated) when I got them, so yeah. 10 to 12 weeks id say.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reynevan
7 hours ago, Makaisland Palms said:

I'm not sure on total age, I've had them for about 7 weeks, and I'd imagine it was at least a couple weeks old(germinated) when I got them, so yeah. 10 to 12 weeks id say.  

That is faster than Washingtonia :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×