IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp. 'metallic'

realarch

OK Joe, here are some photos of that D. sp. metallic. Really an attractive palm with a definite blue green hue to the leaves. Been in the ground for about two years now and after a few stunted new fronds, it's finally getting a move on. The trunk looks like it's going to be nice as well, starting to show some white. 

Tim 

P1060729.jpg

P1060728.jpg

P1060732.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 12

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Oh man that is stunning!  Thank you so much for posting.  Now is this Dypsis ‘Metallic’ or ‘Ovobontsira sp. Metallic’?  It sure looks a lot like  Bill Austin’s palm.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Such an incredible Palm!  A bit on the slow side but worth the wait. 

Heres a picture of one I saw at Floribunda on my last visit there a couple months ago. 

IMG_1232.thumb.JPG.3fad0e55185679af47277

• Upvote 6

I’ve been told by Jeff Marcus that Dypsis sp ‘Metallic’ and sp ‘Ovobontsira  Metallic’ are DIFFERENT palms. Can you guys clarify which palm this is?  I would say that it is ‘Ovobontsira Metallic’ since that is what Bill Austin said it was labeled when he got it from Floribunda.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I just seen Bill's the other day and the crown when the new leaf fell off was purple.  Absolutely stunning 

Joe, yes it is the same palm, I only have the one. I acquired it from Bill as well. Have no idea what it is, I'll let you Dypsis savants figure that out. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

42 minutes ago, realarch said:

Joe, yes it is the same palm, I only have the one. I acquired it from Bill as well. Have no idea what it is, I'll let you Dypsis savants figure that out. 

Tim

Thanks, Tim!  

Definitely NOT a Dypsis “savant”!  

I just want to cover my bases to make sure I have this palm.  

Here’s what I am dealing with:

2012:  Dypsis sp Ovobontsira ‘Metallic Leaf’ was available.

2013/14:  Dypsis sp. ‘Metallic Leaf’ & ‘Metallic’ were available at the same time.

2015:  Dypsis ‘Vatovavy blue’ was available 

2017:  Dypsis sp. ‘Metallic Leaf’ & ‘Metallic’ available at the same time.

I have been told that ‘Vatovavy blue and ‘Metallic’ are the same palm.  And that ‘Ovobontsira Metallic Leaf’ and ‘Metallic Leaf’ were the same palms.

So, that’s why I have been asking people to be clear which palm they had.  

Thanks again! 

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

All I can do is SCREAM

And, place a Floribunda order.

Ahem . . . .

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bill has so many amazing palms, I forgot to check that one out the last time I was there. The leaves on his was still maintaining the blue green color and, of course, that metallic sheen the last time I saw it.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, realarch said:

Bill has so many amazing palms, I forgot to check that one out the last time I was there. The leaves on his was still maintaining the blue green color and, of course, that metallic sheen the last time I saw it.

Tim

That's good to hear.  I do not believe that the palm will lose it.  I think if the palm is happy, it will be blu-ish and have that sheen.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Ahhhh, an update. Starting to grow relatively faster now, another new leaf. 

Tim 

P1060793.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

31 minutes ago, realarch said:

Tim 

P1060793.jpg

Wow. Beautiful palm.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

19 hours ago, realarch said:

Tim 

P1060793.jpg

Wow, Tim! I want one so much. Do you know if this is a typical large Dypsis that prefers HI or a mediterranean climate like in CA?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Boy Meg, I'm really not sure. At this point I don't think there is enough empirical evidence since this species seems relatively new in widespread cultivation. Seems to love it here in Hi. and I'm assuming it would do well in Ca. as well. Florida? Not so sure.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 years later...

Thought I’d post an update of this palm. Growing like a weed, and interestingly enough, I haven’t noticed a red emergent leaf in awhile. 

Tim

278ABB47-1D33-4619-B429-7DB1116C77CF.jpeg

961F61B0-D5A1-4778-AFB7-4F1A6A4CC7B2.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow, that's some growth in what 3 years?

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

On 12/8/2018 at 8:27 AM, Hilo Jason said:

This thread inspired me to tear out some grass, expand a planter and get this 2 gallon planted. 

IMG_1414.thumb.JPG.871fd5f4457ab1b2b13b1

Updated photo of this guy. But now I’m starting to think it’s not the Metallic Ovobontsira. Doesn’t look quite right to me and lack of any petiole is an indicator as well. Maybe it’s Dypsis Ampasindavae?

02C101EB-726D-402D-8530-99AD9EFBB115.thumb.jpeg.5d3d81af711633ecea331eb0cb94c133.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meant to respond to this thread earlier, but rain and utility problems diverted me from taking the necessary pictures.

I purchased a couple of palms called Dypsis ampasandavae from Floribunda. After planting out in June 2017, here is a pic of the surviving one. 8 x 8 x 16 inch cinder blocks provide scale in these pictures.

ampasandavae_2_MLM_091521.thumb.JPG.2515fb021815ef4e2c08df12c6ff657b.JPG

I made two orders, separated by many months of time, of seeds from RPS labeled Dypsis ovobontsira. These are from the first order. After planting out in January 2017, one died, but the other two have done extremely well.

ampasandavae-ovobontsira_1_MLM_091521.thumb.JPG.10e9b5f36e0b2c3b6eec42c776c58206.JPG

ampasandavae-ovobontsira_2_MLM_091521.thumb.JPG.e830c06391651fa2b178edc6c14967c1.JPG

Then,  Jeff Marcus (Floribunda) gave me a palm called Dypsis "vatovavy blue". Here is it, planted out in August (needs more time to settle in):

2108409422_vatovavyblue_MLM_091521.thumb.JPG.58e811b5048b54974198a443d3802ee4.JPG

Finally, there is my first order of RPS seeds labeled Dypsis ovobontsira. Here is the lone survivor, planted out in March 2019 (not to be confused with the Copernicia behind it):

ovobontsira_MLM_091521.thumb.JPG.1169382ebe843de766f08b007a5c5b80.JPG

Here is the base of this plant:

ovobontsira_base_MLM_091521.thumb.JPG.83afc55ad0f4851973b4086363b6df3f.JPG

These last two pics are consistent with ovobontsira pics shown in Palmpedia files (one by Bill Austin). All the other palms in the previous four pics look like D. ampasandavae.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Re-reading, I note that i referred to the palms in the 2nd and 3rd pics as the first RPS order, when they were the second.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I’ve returned to this thread 3 times this afternoon just to look at the pictures again. Beautiful palm! Thanks all for sharing the photos and stuff.

• 1 month later...

This palm was looking so good this morning, I couldn’t resist. Significant growth since September. 

Tim

F6FC8157-1457-4947-B8DF-0236D419E420.jpeg

FC7E0903-A70E-459C-AC14-229CEFB515CE.jpeg

F67EA5E9-A875-41EE-9B3D-98B71E8542FF.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 year later...

So, an update on this incredible palm. In between rain showers I was scouting around the garden and noticed that a leaf sheath was ready to detach. Here’s the reveal and I can’t stop looking at it. I’m especially drawn to the swollen leaf sheaths and the coloring. This has always been a relatively fast grower, at least in my garden, and it’s loving the 13”, (330mm), of rain in the last 4 days.

Tim 

E5761B41-1775-43B5-8E3A-9FB71066B37E.jpeg

CD2D5E73-A216-4713-8947-7F004FC4DD80.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

5 hours ago, realarch said:

In between rain showers I was scouting around the garden and noticed that a leaf sheath was ready to detach. Here’s the reveal and I can’t stop looking at it.

Beautiful Tim!  It must not be near your Kerriodoxa elegans or you would probably just be standing underneath the Kerridoxa admiring despite the pouring rain!  Thanks for sharing the photo so the rest of us can admire it as well.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, this one is close to the giant Mauritia and I managed a yard foray during a brief respite from the rain. Too bad it wasn’t showing all of its colors during your visit. Killer Chrysalidocarpus.

Thanks Ben, that’s what I said.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Amazing!  I love that purple-ish color when the old leaf comes off.  Very different than the orange that most of these Chrysolidocarpus show (which is also really nice) 

Thanks Jason, it’s always been a rather unique palm and it just keeps getting better. I always thought the trunk would be larger in diameter, but it looks like it will be a more slender type. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii