IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Majesty palm issues

pikaia

Hello all!! I acquired this majesty palm (not 100% sure of name) from my mother in law about a year ago. At her house, it only ever had 4 fronds. I brought it back to my house and started taking care of it. It started drying out pretty quick. We have forced air heat and my MIL did not. About four months ago, I started doing some research into how to make it more healthy. I went on some of my fb groups and a person helped me with what I could fertilize it with. He recommended chelated iron 6-0-0. I have used it twice bit very little as I was afraid of burning the plant. I purchased a humidifier about a week ago and placed it near the palm tree. I spray it with water twice a day to increase humidity. I have also read that it may need a larger pot. Maybe new soil too. What do you think? I want to add that it has two fronds growing right now. 

Btw, I have blinds open during the day.... 

20181201_214803.jpg

20181201_214812.jpg

15437197273426227093148763522475.jpg

Edited by pikaia
Blurry pic

I can't tell if it is a majesty palm or not but the pot looks plenty big.  Majesty palms can really only do well outdoors during your spring/summer.  They don't tolerate temps under 40F well.  Indoor humidity is almost impossible to raise high enough for these palms in winter indoors.  Your indoor humidity is most likely around 40.  They need 60-80.  You can try putting in your bathroom for more humidity if by chance you have room but that is usually not a great place for most people.  They will probably die inside eventually.  These palms do like to have constantly moist soil, so water once per week or when to top dries out a bit.  You need palm fertilizer to fertilize any palms.  Look at amazon for palmgain or jobes palm fertilizer.  I wouldn't fertilize much more though in winter. 

They sell majesties at lowes/home depot for 15-30 each and I would just replace it honestly as needed.  I have about 9 of these in my garage to overwinter they go outside as soo as they can (April).   two of mine died overwinter last year. 

IMG_1119.JPG

• Upvote 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks for your reply!! I have read that these palms are extremely difficult and almost never do well in homes for all the reasons you mentioned. If it survives through this winter, I am gonna put it outside. I thought maybe the coloring on it's leaves (fading in some spots) meant the nutrients were depleted in it's soil?

Fingers crossed it hangs on!!

If the soil has consistency of sludge you can replace it.  The easiest if you don't mix your own is miracle grow palm/cactus soil at lowes/home depot.  Although I hate Miracle grow soil usually I have used this one some. Honestly if you put new soil and don't see a lot of roots everywhere you could consider putting in a SMALLER pot.   I think the palm is just not doing well indoors.  I can't tell if that is a nutrient deficiency as I'm not a expert on that but I've seen some look like that from indoors.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I just lost a majesty to root rot. I have a lot of potted palms and since majesty’s are last on my list I didn’t realiLize it wasn’t in my new well draining soil mix. Even though I neglect it and never water it. The soil kept too much water initially and she gone 

Majesty palms (Ravenea rivularis) make terrible houseplants. They eventually get huge, need heat and sun and are fertilizer hogs. A better choice would be a kentia palm (Howea forsteriana), lady palm (Rhapis excelsa and related species) or one of the Chamaedoreas. All can take low light and may be forgiving of dark, cold and dry northern homes.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a Majesty palm expert but the browned and curly tips seem like a water shortage symptom.  If the soil is wet and mucky it could be caused by root rot instead of a lack of water. Majesties generally want a LOT of water though, and don't do very well indoors in low humidity.  It's difficult to get them enough water to be happy without rotting the roots.

The irregular yellowing on the fronds in the 3rd picture seems like a potassium deficiency, which normally starts on the oldest fronds first, and usually at the tips of leaflets first.  If you are only feeding with 6-0-0 fertilizer that's possible.  Many people seem to like Osmocote, Nutricote or Florikan controlled release fertilizer.  I've used Osmocote on potted plants.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I have some learning to do and some questions about my palm plant. Me and my wife purchased it and we bought a pot to trans plant it in and we did so. We filled it with the original dirt that it had and then we bought indoor potting mix and filled it well I watered it and didnt realize the new pot didnt have drain holes till several days later and I realized it and I drilled holes in the bottom and the water that came out smelt like sewage almost now i need to know what to do cause the plant still looks good. Please help me fix this and thank yall.https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/YQlWIds3iD2N

Joshua, Hi welcome to the forum.

From down here I can't help you much, I imagine that you are in America although you have not put a location in your details, that usually does help people trying to help you.  But while you wait for better advice than mine, browse back down for a few pages looking for Majesty palm and you will probably find your answer.  If not the search button will help. Although just reading this thread should have explained most things I would have thought. 

Oh, FYI your link does not work. 

But to answer your question, mate just flush it out from the top with water for a few mins. That will save it for a while. That palm should not be sold as an indoor palm in most places. It should be in the ground in the appropriate climate. Then trade it for a Parlour palm or a Kentia if you can.

I hope that I have been of help.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.