IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

mature Jubaea X Butia downtown Orlando

Eric in Orlando

My wife and I were downtown Orlando early this morning to run a 5k. We were at Lake Eola Park. There is a big Jubaea Butia growing there. It looks very good, they are keeping it well fertilized and not overtrimmed. 

DSC_4866~2.JPG

DSC_4867~3.JPG

DSC_4869~2.JPG

DSC_4868~2.JPG

• Upvote 15

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Love the combo of the stout trunk and slightly recurved fronds.  Thanks for sharing!

Wonder if the seeds are sterile like Mules??

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

The soil there is pretty good.  About 7% clay in the top 2.5 feet, then 25% clay with a lot of silt down to at least 7 feet of depth.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Love the combo of the stout trunk and slightly recurved fronds.  Thanks for sharing!

I've tried hundreds of seeds with no germination. And the ones I cut open had no embryo. So they are sterile from this palm. 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

54 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

F1 self fertilized seed is more than 99% sterile. F2 is a little better.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I've tried hundreds of seeds with no germination. And the ones I cut open had no embryo. So they are sterile from this palm. 

They are selfsterile but if is there any other Jubaea or Butia near will produce tons of viable seeds! 

Edited by Kenarr09

That is an outstanding specimen!. Note that smooth trunk. From a distance it almost resembles a Phoenix canary.

On the UF campus, there is an ancient palm that is almost identical to this specimen but it may be 3x as tall. I am certain that Merrill Wilcox played some role in the  specimen on the UF campus.

What you look for is what is looking

6 hours ago, Swolte said:

Wow, best one I have seen thus far. Any idea how old?

I first came across this palm around 1994 and it was nearly the same size then. 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Cool, I noticed that same palm when I visited Lake Eola Park for the first time a couple months ago. It is indeed a very nice specimen.

IMG_2512.thumb.JPG.c373aa9978eba7b03efb0

• Upvote 3

I see old large specimens of B. odorata with smooth trunks sometimes up here .... you positive it is a hybrid Eric....seems strange somebody would have been hybridizing so many years ago...that palms got to be 50+ years old.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I'm not sure where it came from. The park was established in the 1890s and are or has been quite a few interesting plant specimens located there. Mulford Foster, the famous plant collector/explorer had a nursery a few blocks away from the 1930s-50s. Maybe it came from him. Foster passed away in 1978. In the mid 1980s his wife donated/sold some palm and cycad specimens to Leu Gardens. Included were several X Butyagrus and a trunked Jubaea chilensis. He may have been making some crosses decades ago. There is also an odd Sabal nearby in the park.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Interesting back story .... maybe...would be interesting to see the spath/flower ....maybe someone can chime in that knows what the hybrid reproductive parts are supposed to look like. Regardless...it's a fine specimen

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

very cool. looks like a mini jubea

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 2 weeks later...

Similar in size and appearance to some Mules I noticed today. These are definitely “old school” mules, planted between the SeaWorld HR building and Renaissance Orlando. A quick property records search, via google, says the parking lot was developed in 1991. 

This Palm has been featured on this forum before as Butia x Jubaea. It is a true hybrid with the seeds being non-viable (at least for me), and the unarmed petioles are a dead give away.