IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oldest Beccariophoenix alfredii in cultivation - 4 feet of trunk

Zeeth

I'm in West Palm for an interview so I wanted to stop by Pete Balasky's Beccariophoenix alfredii on the way. It's doing well! It's got 4 feet of trunk now, and the trunk is a bit over 60 inches in circumference at 4 feet. Shouldn't be long until it starts flowering. Here are pics:

IMG_1350.thumb.jpg.7d0949b923a9350a4e8a4

IMG_1368.thumb.jpg.c781f072dec4e4ee23f84

IMG_1353.thumb.jpg.8e7c7cad0ab65f51e0834

IMG_1358.thumb.jpg.b979953e3a80f68533d69

IMG_1355.thumb.jpg.54a8bac95927eaefb3ecf

IMG_1351.thumb.jpg.19b3803ef450003f16e56

IMG_1352.thumb.jpg.40cb7ac0e19eaa8cf186e

The rope on the tree is holding up the Copernicia macroglossa nearby that's leaning away.

IMG_1373.thumb.jpg.cee9bdd1e60c8b3edb684

• Like 5
  • Upvote 33

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Dude, that is one awesome alfie!  Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Also, a lot nicer looking once they get some trunk IMO. NOW, they actually start looking like a coconut. Very cool.

• Upvote 4

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

On 11/30/2018 at 4:10 PM, Reeverse said:

Is this the Largest in cultivation? Its massive. 

I’ve have never seen one bigger. Things huge and looks awesome.

Its not *the* oldest one in cultivation. Semantics. :) It came from the first seed batch. I have a sister palm I bought from Peter that was from the seed batch. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Awesome!!! looks like Im going to be removing a brahea after seeing the size of this monkey...

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Very cool! That trunk has some serious bulging at the base! Looks like it's almost half as thick up top compared to the base. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LJG said:

Its not *the* oldest one in cultivation. Semantics. It came from the first seed batch. I have a sister palm I bought from Peter that was from the seed batch. 

I won't argue with you there, but it does make for a catchy title! :) 

I'm glad that they're starting to get some size to them in cultivation. I agree with Bret that they start looking a lot more coconutty once they've got some trunk. The trunk even has a nice taper to it like a coconut does.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Dang, once these really catch on 9b areas are going to start looking like a true jungle. Awesome palm! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Wow, very impressive specimen! Thanks for sharing Zeeth! :greenthumb:

How'd the interview go?

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

All the jokes aside, that alfie rocks, and @LJGand I can agree on that much!

Mama mia . . .

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Haha.. I saw the title and thought "wait whos got one older than Petes?"......Len? ;) 

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

2 hours ago, Zeeth said:

I won't argue with you there, but it does make for a catchy title! :) 

I'm glad that they're starting to get some size to them in cultivation. I agree with Bret that they start looking a lot more coconutty once they've got some trunk. The trunk even has a nice taper to it like a coconut does.

:)

by the way, did you ask if he had to clean the trunk or if the leaf bases just started to fall off? 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

14 hours ago, LJG said:

Its not *the* oldest one in cultivation. Semantics. It came from the first seed batch. I have a sister palm I bought from Peter that was from the seed batch. 

I agree....Len is very old.

• Upvote 3

I misread this post at first.  Thought it said 60 inch diameter at 4 feet.  Not 60 inch circumference.   Had me in a full panic and ready to break out the chainsaws to remove a couple potentially poorly placed ones in my yard.  Whew!  Not cutting today.

Great looking palm.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Upvote 3

A mongo sized coconut!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

18 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Wow, very impressive specimen! Thanks for sharing Zeeth! :greenthumb:

How'd the interview go?

I think it went okay! I don't find out where I'm going until January though.

17 hours ago, LJG said:

:)

by the way, did you ask if he had to clean the trunk or if the leaf bases just started to fall off? 

I didn't ask, but there was some damage on the trunk in 2 spots that looks like the bases were pulled off prematurely, so I think someone cleaned it up at some point.

5 hours ago, Hammer said:

I misread this post at first.  Thought it said 60 inch diameter at 4 feet.  Not 60 inch circumference.   Had me in a full panic and ready to break out the chainsaws to remove a couple potentially poorly placed ones in my yard.  Whew!  Not cutting today.

Great looking palm.  Thanks for sharing. 

I actually had the idea to take the tape measure out there from a post you made a while back, so I'm glad you found it helpful!

• Upvote 3

Keith 

22 hours ago, Zeeth said:

14 years

Amazing size to these from seed in 2004 then. My oldest alfrediis came from a 2005 seed batch but they are nowhere near as large having sat in pots for wayyyy too long, so I'd say I will need to wait another 10 years to get some trunk on mine. 

This species is just perfect for areas too cold for coconuts.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Amazing size to these from seed in 2004 then. My oldest alfrediis came from a 2005 seed batch but they are nowhere near as large having sat in pots for wayyyy too long, so I'd say I will need to wait another 10 years to get some trunk on mine. 

This species is just perfect for areas too cold for coconuts.

Scripture, that!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That's 14 years growing in South Florida conditions. They may take longer in different climates

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

That thing is incredible but seems at least as slow as CIDP at getting trunk. But again, very beautiful!

Edited by ruskinPalms

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I'm okay with them being slow to trunk, as long as they grow those 20ft long fronds fast!  :D I have 5 planted that are about 6-7' tall from 5G pots this summer.  It took them about a month to "root in" but put out 2-4 fronds each from August - November.  They have all slowed down around late November when temps went from 80s/60s down to 70s/50s, but are still growing a couple of inches/week on the spears.

Given the size of that monster I may need to move one of mine.  I planted two of them about 10 feet apart, expecting the fronds to "somewhat intermingle," but the photos look like they'll start drooping more than I expected.  I was thinking 20 foot fronds but held mostly vertical like an Attalea Cohune or Arenga Pinnata.  Those pictures look more like 30-40 foot diameter per palm!  Yikes! :o 

I love these but my Beccariophoenix fenestralis make my alfredii look like little punks

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

That is one awesome palm!   The girth on that thing is pretty fantastic too.  Looks amazing!  I gotta say though, that is some pretty slow growth. I def agree it looks to be CIDP slow.   Thanks for posting!    (side note)  I was down in your hood probably back in august and thought  that since were practically neighbors now that we gotta have a beer sometime! haha! 

• Upvote 1

Quite so. Quite so. The B.alfredii grows as stagnant as a CIDP, however it looks (after a decade) like a coconut. Even after 14-16+ years , (this is fact folks), no alfie outside of habitat has produced seed. The book is still being written on this precious palm. For all we know, it's a prehistoric palm and it might take several decades for it to seed.  Personally, seed or not, I love its look. Even if it takes 1/3 of the speed to grow of that of a Cocos nucifera. The Alfie is one notch hardier.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

My biggest fenestralis, the trunk on this is massive, royal palm type of big.

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

Edited by redant
  • Upvote 4

Jupiter FL

When I go back and look at the pic of petes palm, it appears to be very wide of crown, 25-30' even.  My Bismarckias are only ~25' wide.  Alfrediis may start small and slow, but they get huge!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Matt the fenestralis is about 10 years from a 3 gallon. All my yard is pretty shady so everything grows a bit slower and a bit elongated. I have about 4 others as well, love all the Beccariophoenix , probably my favorite species after coconuts.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018, 6:20:54, redant said:

I love these but my Beccariophoenix fenestralis make my alfredii look like little punks

That 14-year old Beccariophoenix Alfredii in Zeeth 's photos of gorgeous, but when compared with the 15-year old Beccariophoenix Fenestralis in the photo below (which one can clearly walk/stand underneath), it seems to have a lot less trunk:

Is Beccariophoenix Fenestralis simply much faster-growing than Beccariophoenix Alfredii?

(Continued...)    In the caption beside the large Beccariophoenix Fenestralis next to the red house, the owner wrote: "Here is one growing in our nursery.... 15 years since planting and it's been fruiting for about 4 years.". That is almost the same age as the Beccariophoenix Alfredii in Zeeth's photos above.

On 11/12/2018 19:16:22, redant said:

My biggest alfrediis

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

IMG_5386.jpg

Beautiful palms you got there. :)

• Upvote 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

On 1/6/2019, 1:19:46, Sandy Loam said:

Is Beccariophoenix Fenestralis simply much faster-growing than Beccariophoenix Alfredii?   (Continued...)    In the caption beside the large Beccariophoenix Fenestralis next to the red house, the owner wrote: "Here is one growing in our nursery.... 15 years since planting and it's been fruiting for about 4 years.". That is almost the same age as the Beccariophoenix Alfredii in Zeeth's photos above.

It sure looks like Kennybenjamin's fenestralis has about 4' more trunk than the alfredii in the original post.  It was my understanding that the alfredii was a faster grower, and that the fenestralis was fairly slow.  But that may have been from reading about people growing them in marginal climates, without the benefit of heat and humidity.  We also don't know how old Kennybenjamin's palm was when it was planted.  It would make a big difference if it were planted 15 years ago as a 10' OA palm instead of a seedling...  :)