IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post your winter yard pics

enigma99

On 12/29/2018, 6:14:23, Estlander said:

Opal92 Thank you for posting this. Very interesting to compare everything indeed.

Surprised to see your Banana leaves fried like that. I guess 28F is all that is needed to do that. I'm no Banana plant expert, but no matter how low you'll end up going this winter, I wouldn't cut it to the ground. There's a good chance the center of the stem is still fine.  Last winter when mine froze I only cut the top parts off, and as soon as it got warmer new leaves started emerging taking over the old stems. Had I cut them down, I don't think mine would be as big as they are now. My lowest low last January was 23-24F one night.

Nothing has yet frozen here on the coastal micro-climate as it's stayed above freezing. The lowest my yard has gone this winter so far is 33F for one night only and no frost yet. So other than some damage from Hurricane Michael, all the Banana plants, Ti plants, Elephant Ears, Gingers, Cannas, Philodendrons, Guava and Papaya etc. are fine in my yard. Here are a few rainy pics taken today of some of the more tender stuff in my yard. It's been a very rainy here just as they predicted it would be this winter in the southeast.

Your yard looks very good- I like how your backdrop and foundation is evergreen (saw palmettos). Yeah, I usually wait till spring to cut the bananas down- although a few of them are trying to sprout leaves out again with this crazy warmth we are having. But again, I think they will get stopped by colder temps later January.

And wow, guava and Papaya! I know papaya is quite frost tender, but I haven't had experimented much with guava. I know they were selling a lot of both at Lowe's in Destin when I worked there- it was tempting for me to get one.

35 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Your yard looks very good- I like how your backdrop and foundation is evergreen (saw palmettos). Yeah, I usually wait till spring to cut the bananas down- although a few of them are trying to sprout leaves out again with this crazy warmth we are having. But again, I think they will get stopped by colder temps later January.

And wow, guava and Papaya! I know papaya is quite frost tender, but I haven't had experimented much with guava. I know they were selling a lot of both at Lowe's in Destin when I worked there- it was tempting for me to get one.

My tropical pink guava has been an easy grow with a ton of fruit each year. More than I can physically juice/eat. Mine is now about 12ft high overall. 

Papaya is I think frost tender as bananas, maybe a little less. I have only been trying it for its first winter, it’s still looking good. We’ll see

2 hours ago, Zeeth said:

Which Pritchardia species is directly behind the Washingtonia trunk?

Keith, that's beccariana. Fast, easy & somewhat more drought resistant than some of the other Hawaiians..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

36 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Keith, that's beccariana. Fast, easy & somewhat more drought resistant than some of the other Hawaiians..

I was thinking beccariana, but I wasn't quite sure, thanks! I've had good luck with P. beccariana here. I donated one about the size of yours to the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum recently. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Here are a few more from today. Don't let the sunshine fool you, it's downright cold outside. 

Sylvia gregii blooms twelve months of the year but looks it's best between late fall and spring. The orange blossom is a dyckia. A jubaeopsis off to the right.

Screenshot_20190101-164239_Gallery.thumb

This is a local variety of Eschscholzia (CA poppy). The species everyone is familiar with is orange. This one has grey-blue foliage and yellow flowers. I grabbed seeds while on a hike just outside of town. It also is just coming into bloom now. In a month, it will be at its peak. This particular species is perennial for me, this one is at least 3 years old. I cut it back after it flowers.

Screenshot_20190101-164306_Gallery.thumb

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 3:55 PM, Zeeth said:

I was thinking beccariana, but I wasn't quite sure, thanks! I've had good luck with P. beccariana here. I donated one about the size of yours to the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum recently. 

Here's a pic of the Pritchardia beccariana that I donated. I think it looks pretty nice in it's new location!

IMG_1588.thumb.jpg.b26f223f12d25a1fa17232f20819902f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Keith 

Here are some of my winter yard pics:

Pritchardia remota:

IMG_1527.thumb.jpg.78e83925506b2169c3bf2ad5d9af40da.jpg

Pritchardia munroi:

IMG_1529.thumb.jpg.5ecd94525d4279b7b7e250abf1f8349f.jpg

Hawaiian tall coconut:

IMG_1509.thumb.jpg.562bcdbf917bea962f431355402d7656.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

The two cocos which have tarps over them are the red Tahiti dwarf and the supermarket golden Pacific (Mexican) tall (germinated in-house). 

This is the Red Tahiti's first winter. It's also the Mexican golden talls' second winter planted (and exposed) outside.

Expecting cool rain by tonight. Hence the tarps on these two.

20190116_160454.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Winter in S FL kicks off for me when the  Dracaena fragrans start blooming right around the solstice, smells soo nice. I've got probably 50+ total. When I lived up North and had them as house plants I never knew the latin name or knew about their flowers because they never flowered.

20181208_183935_zpshuxa9ulr.jpg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Pando said:

Winter yard pics?? Here's my trunking coconut, it's fine!

ruBqZ4O.jpg

LoL

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

10 hours ago, Pando said:

Winter yard pics?? Here's my trunking coconut, it's fine!

ruBqZ4O.jpg

Haha Pando!

Not trunking yet but here is a shot of my sacrificial coconut after yet another morning in the low 40s F. 

B9394E50-1ED1-478D-A68C-C94373EB238D.jpeg

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

My Dypsis decaryi seems to have had a delayed reaction to temps in the low 30s F we experienced earlier this month. Older fronds turned brown almost overnight this week. At least the newest leaf seems to be relatively intact at this time. Now if we can just get through February without any freezes here in NorCal. :unsure:

Dypsis-plant.png

Dypsis-newleaf.png

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

My Dypsis decaryi seems to have had a delayed reaction to temps in the low 30s F we experienced earlier this month. Older fronds turned brown almost overnight this week. At least the newest leaf seems to be relatively intact at this time. Now if we can just get through February without any freezes here in NorCal. :unsure:

Dypsis-plant.png

Dypsis-newleaf.png

Bummer!  Low-30s won't cause that though...mine has seen 29 multiple years with not a scratch.  Either something else is going on (too wet?) or you got colder.  Or, heavy frost?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

27 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Bummer!  Low-30s won't cause that though...mine has seen 29 multiple years with not a scratch.  Either something else is going on (too wet?) or you got colder.  Or, heavy frost?

Yes, it surprised me, too. I had thought this species was hardier than that. This is its first year in the ground in that spot on my berm, so it could be because the soil has been too soggy lately or it actually got colder in my yard for a few nights than the local weather reports forecast. I've not seen any frost  so far this year, though I usu. don't get up too early in the morning to spot that. :rolleyes: Even my potted Ptychosperma elegans (that has some overhead canopy protection) nearby didn't look this bad! Regardless, I need to get a high-low temperature gauge for more accurate readings around my yard! :bummed:

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2019 at 3:42 PM, Hillizard said:

Yes, it surprised me, too. I had thought this species was hardier than that. This is its first year in the ground in that spot on my berm, so it could be because the soil has been too soggy lately or it actually got colder in my yard for a few nights than the local weather reports forecast. I've not seen any frost  so far this year, though I usu. don't get up too early in the morning to spot that. :rolleyes: Even my potted Ptychosperma elegans (that has some overhead canopy protection) nearby didn't look this bad! Regardless, I need to get a high-low temperature gauge for more accurate readings around my yard! :bummed:

My guess the plant probably saw 28 or lower. Do you have anything unusual around it like a roof draining into it? Stuff like that can knock a spot lower a couple degrees easily.

Photo of mine today, still looks the same

AEDBA916-E0-B4-4-A1-B-8-BB1-08-D43-F1638

1 hour ago, Rickybobby said:

Normally that pool is surrounded by palms lol

BE53B13D-1EC0-41FC-8EF8-DF1E2AC5FA1C.jpeg

It looks pretty amazing to those of us who've never seen snow, great photo mate!

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2019 at 4:47 PM, enigma99 said:

My guess the plant probably saw 28 or lower. Do you have anything unusual around it like a roof draining into it? Stuff like that can knock a spot lower a couple degrees easily.

Photo of mine today, still looks the same

AEDBA916-E0-B4-4-A1-B-8-BB1-08-D43-F1638

enigma99: I had it planted on the lower part of a berm that faces south/east. Other palms higher up on the berm, that have shown frost damage in the past, look fine (?). The ground around the roots was quite soggy from our recent rains, although the roots themselves looked OK. I decided to move it to a better-draining flat location in my yard that has some overstory protection. Not the best time of year to do that, but we'll see how it "weathers" the move. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

enigma99: I had it planted on the lower part of a berm that faces south/east. Other palms higher up on the berm, that have shown frost damage in the past, look fine (?). The ground around the roots was quite soggy from our recent rains, although the roots themselves looked OK. I decided to move it to a better-draining flat location in my yard that has some overstory protection. Not the best time of year to do that, but we'll see how it "weathers" the move. :unsure:

I think that is a good idea. Canopy makes a huge difference 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike places where it rains frequently, we don't see a lot of rainbows in Southern California.  It is winter though and with this winter we are getting rain which creates opportunities for them.  First up are some normally very messy Washingtonia robustas which are in my neighbor's yard and rain down seeds blanketing the area behind my garage with seedlings like grass some years.  They can be attractive, but wish they were setback more so I didn't get so much debris from them (including seedlings).  The second shot includes a Kentiopsis oliviformis and one of my Dypsis prestoniana with part of the double rainbow. 

20190131-104A2304.jpg

20190131-104A2303.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Palms after the rain.  

43E577B8-EA86-47DC-8AEA-DFF00C5F9CB7.thumb.jpeg.cb1f436b2084c6c143b77aaf0d429f55.jpeg

Wish I could grow those in full sun like you can.

over here it gets cool but not cold.  Its been uncharacteristically  overcast and wet for weeks but the sun showed itself today

DSC_6935.JPG

DSC_6936.JPG

DSC_6937.JPG

DSC_6938.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Rhopalostylis baueri opening a leaf today.  I miss my old trunking sapida that got killed by extreme heat.

IMG_0281.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1