IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis ampasindavae

realarch

Sure is a pretty palm and showy with the new leaf. Something had eaten part of the previous leaf and I thought I might lose the entire plant. A few hydrogen peroxide drenches seems to have done the trick. 

Tim

P1060673.jpg

P1060672.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 12

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Great to see it thriving again!  I remember ours seemed to be somewhat synched up with their new leaves and I do think mine is just about to open another.  I'll have to take a pic and post here when it does. 

I have a few small ones in pots here in Guada La Habra, and they're nowhere close to being as magnificent as yours @realarch

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looking great Tim,

Some big fat mature ones up at Lyon, sporting the occasional beautiful orange crownshaft. I need to get a couple from Floribunda and try them here in the valley.

aloha

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Looking great Tim,

Some big fat mature ones up at Lyon, sporting the occasional beautiful orange crownshaft. I need to get a couple from Floribunda and try them here in the valley.

aloha

They have huge 1 gals in stock.  

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I think mound planting would work here. They seem to suck down into the ground like most heeled Dypsis. Randy (palmisland)  up in Boca has had success with mound planting.

• Upvote 3

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

15 hours ago, joe_OC said:

They have huge 1 gals in stock.  

I have a couple myself. Still decent two-gallons after a number of years.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I just got a few of them from florabunda a few months ago . Front and center in the pic, busting out of there pots

20180809_120330.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

I just got a few of them from florabunda a few months ago . Front and center in the pic, busting out of there pots

20180809_120330.jpg

It's the palm center, but not front, correct?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Holy cow John, do we need to round up a planting party? I know Hilo Jason has lots a time on his hands.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, this was the only picture I could find. This is just up the slope from that monster D. bejofu,, in the Africa section, which would be more appropriately named the Madagasgar section IMHO. There is a group of three or four, sporting the occasional orangeish crown. A good picture of them in the palmpedia palm encyclopedia. 

aloha

IMG_1602 2.jpg

• Upvote 6

Mahalo Colin! Hey, I might be coming over to Oahu in January, maybe we can make a trip up to the garden and scout around. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Sounds great Tim, let me know

I have found some really rare gems, hidden away, I asume planted by Ray Baker back in the day,   but not too hard to get to. Maybe it will be dry!!!, ya right,   better bring an umbrella. 

aloha

Ha! I remember the last time you and I were up there.......torrential rain to be exact! The rushing water was almost up to our calves, but what the hell, I loved it. 

Pretty much game for anything palm related. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

1 hour ago, realarch said:

Holy cow John, do we need to round up a planting party? I know Hilo Jason has lots a time on his hands.

Tim

Hah!  yeah, nothing but time!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, colin Peters said:

Tim, this was the only picture I could find. This is just up the slope from that monster D. bejofu,, in the Africa section, which would be more appropriately named the Madagasgar section IMHO. There is a group of three or four, sporting the occasional orangeish crown. A good picture of them in the palmpedia palm encyclopedia. 

aloha

IMG_1602 2.jpg

I need to go back to Lyon sometime in the future and search around for these palms.  I've only been once and it was several years ago as I was pretty early into palms. So I'm sure I missed quite a bit. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for bumping this thread with your photos, Jason! Gorgeous palm!

I just bought 2 Dypsis ampasindavae and hope to plant them today or tomorrow. On a bit of a planting spree here -- haven't done that since last March, and it's very exciting to be planting again. Out with the dead, in the with new!

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

10 hours ago, Kim said:

Thanks for bumping this thread with your photos, Jason! Gorgeous palm!

I just bought 2 Dypsis ampasindavae and hope to plant them today or tomorrow. On a bit of a planting spree here -- haven't done that since last March, and it's very exciting to be planting again. Out with the dead, in the with new!

Nice to hear you are planting and adding new palms to your garden!  Hopefully I can make it out your way soon to see your garden in person. 

• Upvote 1

Here's one we saw a couple of months ago at Utopia....a must have for the Dypsis lover!   As you can see, Wal loves this one!

DSC_0180.thumb.jpg.395099d9e173b2ca89446

• Upvote 3

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

On 1/10/2019, 9:39:23, Hilo Jason said:

My Ampasindavae (which is a sibling of Tim’s) is now opening a new leaf. These are such nice palms. 

2E9B19D0-700D-43E9-8F21-C786AF75F6EB.thu

3F1346F2-6917-4C8B-98CA-F955F9C7C904.thu

Very nice Jason!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Daryl said:

Here's one we saw a couple of months ago at Utopia....a must have for the Dypsis lover!   As you can see, Wal loves this one!

DSC_0180.thumb.jpg.395099d9e173b2ca89446

Great photo to show what these eventually turn into! Thanks Daryl!

• 4 years later...

Bumping this thread for an update. 

@realarch Did you ever attempt this in your SD pad? 

@DoomsDave how are yours doing? It’s been 5yrs since your last post. 

Anyone else try these in SoCal area? I’ve got a good head start on one and I think it’s time to plant it out. Just trying to get all the info collected in the attempt to make a semi-intelligent decision. Here’s mine in a 15G. Sharpee mark on spear is 3 months growth so I can think of a 100 plants slower.

Thank in advance. 

-dale 

IMG_7055.thumb.jpeg.21c2cc0623ea43d91e49448f5baf4069.jpegIMG_7056.thumb.jpeg.caa5ee87b7f02bc8f72c0463cafc9c78.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Heres one in a 5 gal pot (3.7 maybe?) . Its been trouble free on the East Coast here for a little over a year. I saw a nice one at Leu Gardens in 2022 that made me buy this one. I know not California but wanted to chime in anyway. 

4A1B05DE-9BA6-490B-9E27-33999D0A15FE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Billeb said:

Bumping this thread for an update. 

@realarch Did you ever attempt this in your SD pad? 

@DoomsDave how are yours doing? It’s been 5yrs since your last post. 

Anyone else try these in SoCal area? I’ve got a good head start on one and I think it’s time to plant it out. Just trying to get all the info collected in the attempt to make a semi-intelligent decision. Here’s mine in a 15G. Sharpee mark on spear is 3 months growth so I can think of a 100 plants slower.

Thank in advance. 

-dale 

IMG_7055.thumb.jpeg.21c2cc0623ea43d91e49448f5baf4069.jpegIMG_7056.thumb.jpeg.caa5ee87b7f02bc8f72c0463cafc9c78.jpeg

I sold them a while back; don’t recall who to. Wish it was you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

I sold them a while back; don’t recall who to. Wish it was you!

Not me Dave. Got this beaut from @neoflora. You recall specifics? ie: sun tolerance, water requirements etc? 

-dale 

4 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

Heres one in a 5 gal pot (3.7 maybe?) . Its been trouble free on the East Coast here for a little over a year. I saw a nice one at Leu Gardens in 2022 that made me buy this one. I know not California but wanted to chime in anyway. 

4A1B05DE-9BA6-490B-9E27-33999D0A15FE.jpeg

Looks awesome Dean! Wonder if it’s an easier or more difficult grow for you all in Florida than California? These seem to be pretty rare around my area. 

You should get that thing in the ground!! 👍

-dale 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mine grows well if slowly but is very vulnerable to wind damage.  Part sun.  You would have more heat but less humidity than me.  Never looks "cold" unlike many of the more tropical species here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Billeb said:

Looks awesome Dean! Wonder if it’s an easier or more difficult grow for you all in Florida than California? These seem to be pretty rare around my area. 

You should get that thing in the ground!! 👍

-dale 

Thanks Dale! I don’t know which climate is easier but if I had to bet I’d say California has the edge. The only big Chrysalidocarpus I’ve heard are somewhat reliable over here are prestonianus, carlsmithii and madagascarensis. Seeing the good sized one at Leu in Orlando gives me hope though. I plan to plant it out next spring but I was hoping it would hit the vertical frond stage like yours before I do. Good luck with yours! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Billeb said:

Not me Dave. Got this beaut from @neoflora. You recall specifics? ie: sun tolerance, water requirements etc? 

-dale 

Hmmm. Good questions!

The ones I got I got on a bit of a lark, as they say, and didn’t really test them very much. I had mine in mostly shade and plenty of water, and they’d done well; I’d gotten them from Floribunda as gallon size plants, even big four inchers.  They were about five gallon when I sold them. (I’m pretty sure the purchasers were also palm talkers, so maybe they’ll pipe up.)

I’m sure they’d do great at your place, being nearer to the ocean.

• Like 1

Welp…..I planted it out today. Protected from the back of wind and direct blasting afternoon sun. It’s facing East so it gets the coveted morning sun. I’d imagine it will be a fairly slow plant so I wanted to put it in the foreground to see the growth while everything around it grows tall. I’m wishing myself luck. 

-dale 

IMG_7061.thumb.jpeg.fa902d5fac7b239898279a2308e5e6c2.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

20 gallon tub over here in riverside !! 🤙 got a little burned when the pepper tree that was giving it cover from the inland sun fell over . This will go in the ground come spring doesn’t look horrible for the amount of sun it got abruptly in back September . Roots are coming out of the bottom of the pot already 

D802A678-EEA1-4DD7-9C6E-0969C0C31A42.jpeg

For me this palm has been an easy grow besides the fact that is really SLOW.

Here are my two.  They were FB 1 gallons in 2017.

This is my biggest / nicest .... really hard to get a good photo from it's location.

ad2.jpg

ad3.jpg

ap1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1