IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ceroxylon or Calyptronoma?

Cindy Adair

Always a lovely sight to see a pot chock full of germinated palms! I have now potted up less than a fourth of them.

DSCN9395.thumb.jpg.67c63629c9588980d72df

However when I looked for white wax pencil on the pot or a plastic tag noting the name I find nothing. 

Then I recall a day last June when I had the flu. I drug myself out of bed in a fog and put some precious seeds I had been soaking in a pot, but could just not summon the strength for a label.

I believe they are either a Ceroxylon sp. or Calyptronoma rivalis. 

DSCN9391.thumb.jpg.7eb2833fac879cc178249

DSCN9398.thumb.jpg.8b94a0429b731b567b3a2

DSCN9397.thumb.jpg.25684a8e548506ed94c88

As you can see, I have many of these and really want to name them! Thanks so much!

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Thanks Moose!

I read that Ceroxylon seeds are 1-2 cm (depending on species) in diameter, but have not seen a photo.

Anybody else care to chime in?

Cindy Adair

Here is what I found on the web for ceroxylon quindiuensis seeds.

Doesnt look like  yours...

455E04A3-0957-42E3-9BA6-3A0D53C6DB61.jpeg

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I just heard back from the woman who is growing the Calyptronoma rivalis here in PR.

She confirms that my seedlings are identical to others sprouting beneath the mother trees. In PR they are called Manaca palms.

Thanks so much Joe OC and Moose!

I wonder where I put the Ceroxylon community seed pot?

Cindy Adair

I germinated some Calyptronoma rivalis seeds years ago. First, the seeds are tiny and have one of the shortest shelf lives of any palm seeds. Secondly, the seeds germinate with pinnate leaves. So, I don't think they can be Calyptronoma. But, I'm not sure they are Ceroxylons either. I have seen worked with seeds of four species of Ceroxylons and they are very round, like in Joe's picture. And where would you get that many seeds of a Ceroxylon species? But the seedlings look very robust, Cindy, so good luck whatever they are.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

1 hour ago, John in Andalucia said:

Ceroxylon are even more robust and seeds are spherical. Ceroxylon quindiuense, for example..

20180408_163009.jpg.cb7f0c07327835bfe45d0b55c3dab7c2.jpg

Wow those look great! Not a bit like my seedlings. Thanks so much for the photo! 

Cindy Adair

My pleasure, Cindy. They've grown a bit since that photo was taken. The first leaf is around a foot long.

ceroxylon.jpg

• Upvote 1