IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Row, Cape Coral, FL - November 2018

PalmatierMeg

Way back in 2008 I germinated my first palm seeds, including the following species: causiarum, domingensis, palmetto, maritima & mauritiiformis. Sabals are among the easiest palm seeds to germinate and are perfect for beginning germinators. In spring of 2009 I had passels of seedlings and decided I should plant a representative sample of my efforts. At the time, we were in the midst of the Great Recession and Cape Coral had the 2nd highest foreclosure rate in the country and we were surrounded by vacant properties. The closest had been built in 2004 but never lived in. I decided I wanted to grow Sabals to eventually block our view of that abandoned property (which eventually sold in 2010 and is now occupied). So I created "Sabal Row", which is actually not on our property but the vacant lot to the east. Ten years later you can see how those 3-leaf seedlings have grown. Some of them are enormous and many, except for palmettos and mauritiiformis, flower every year. We cut down inflorescences like crazy every spring. One thing I've noticed is that S. palmetto is the smallest, slowest growing of the trunking Sabals I planted. The several in the row are almost petite by comparison to the giants next to them.

I originally had labels for them but those disappeared long ago. Except for the palmettos, I have no idea which is which. I've been told even my mauritiiformis isn't what I thought it was.  If anyone here can tell them apart from these photos, have at it. But you can see that given the right conditions (heat, sun, water, regular fertilizer) Sabals in the ground are not as slow as most people think.

Overall photos of "Sabal Row"

5bf99ee95e6a8_SabalRow0111-24-18.thumb.J5bf99efa0dbd1_SabalRow0211-24-18.thumb.J5bf99f0738e0a_SabalRow0311-24-18.thumb.J5bf99f193b4a6_SabalRow0411-24-18.thumb.J5bf99f26c3eaf_SabalRow1611-24-18.thumb.J

South End: Sabal palmetto, left; Sabal ??, right. Both same age

5bf99fee9fd8b_SabalRow0511-24-18.thumb.J5bf99ffe823c4_SabalRow0611-24-18.thumb.J5bf9a00e1d0c5_SabalRow0711-24-18.thumb.J5bf9a01fc5b90_SabalRow0811-24-18.thumb.J5bf9a030858c3_SabalRow0911-24-18.thumb.J

• Upvote 8

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

This Sabal sp may have the fattest base of the lot: 30"+, including boots.

5bf9a1cf01097_SabalRow1011-24-18.thumb.J5bf9a1e2ab4dd_SabalRow1111-24-18.thumb.J5bf9a1f1e10ab_SabalRow1211-24-18.thumb.J5bf9a2005c99d_SabalRow1411-24-18.thumb.J

Size 8 shoe for comparison

5bf9a24c8da4e_SabalRow1311-24-18.thumb.J

A few more photos of other Sabals

5bf9a285c5972_SabalRow1511-24-18.thumb.J5bf9a2935df6a_SabalRow1711-24-18.thumb.J5bf9a2aca39c9_SabalRow1811-24-18.thumb.J

• Upvote 4

Meg

Florida

Very nice!  I hope a few of the sabals I germinated look that nice in a decade.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Very nice and seem like they have grown reasonably quickly from 3 leaf starts to those nice seeding specimens you have now.  Regarding the S mauritiiformis, my personal experience is that they aren't as thick as some of the other Sabals and will have that distinctive contrast between the shiny green upper leaves and more blue/green/silver undersides of the leaves.  Not the greatest photo to show the details described as it was shot mid-day with lots of contrasting shadows and bright spots, but I think it's a lovely looking palm.

20181123-104A1634.jpg

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Beautiful palm, Tracy. Mauritiiformis is reputed to be the most beautiful Sabal, unfortunately also the least cold hardy. It's also much larger than S. palmetto, at least in FL.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

That Mauritiiformis looks great. I'm really surprised how big those got in a decade, which is encouraging. It looks like you gave them perfect conditions. I tried a few sabals about five years ago but lost interest due to their slow growth. I may have to reconsider and take another look at them, especially mauritiiformis.

Agree w/ Meg,  S. mauritiiformis is one of the most attractive of the Sabals, just a little less tough.. Yours looks great Tracy, i keep waiting for at least one fo my older seedlings to show me something other than strap leaves.. ( perhaps another year or two to go, i think..)

The thread itself is interesting since i like the idea of using palms like Sabal, Copernicia, or even Brahaea, and Bismarcks in a grove-like / natural screen style, or as a sort of divide between sections in a larger garden or property. 

Also came across another reference of a nice looking, younger- aged "Sabal Row"  posted over on Agaveville, in the "Autumn in an Agave Garden" thread. Not sure if the poster also posts here but he included a picture ( Post #11, 3rd picture in that thread) of a Sabal minor variant called "Aurora Curly Leaf" i thought was worth mentioning..

• Upvote 1